Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

maddy

Lairian
I adopted my male Peterbald Misha about a year ago. He came from a terrible home with tons of animals and was in rough shape when I got him, he had ear mites, cuts, and scars. He still has little black head looking things on his tail and face that I just can't seem to get rid of. It took him two months to get comfortable in my home and come out from his hiding place behind the toilet, and since then we have been inseparable. He has pretty bad separation anxiety when we are apart. In the beginning of May I moved into my Dad's house and he began to get little bumps, sort of like mosquito bites. Sometimes he would scratch them and they would get scabby but ultimately would heal up within a day or two. Nine days after moving into my Dad's I drove eight hours to my current home with Misha and my other furry kitty, Charlie. They didn't mind the trip. I thought that whatever was causing the sores would go away after moving but they have continued with new ones showing up and going away every day. Recently, little scabs about the size of a nickel have showed up usually on his chest but sometimes on his hind legs. He doesn't scratch at them and they go away after a couple days and heal just like any other scab. I have no idea what could be causing this and have switched litter, food, soap and laundry detergent, and it doesn't seem to make a difference at all. Their food bowls are stainless steel. At first I thought it might be stress but we have been in our new home for over a month now and he seems fine.

maddy

Lairian
He does groom a lot as well, but he doesn't have any teeth so I'm not sure if that could be it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 116

maddy

Lairian
I have just started letting my other cat outside and am thinking that maybe it could be a reaction to fleas? I bought flea stuff for her but am hesitant to use it because I'm worried it will irritate Misha's skin if he comes in contact with it... should I use it anyway? and maybe keep them apart for a while? how long until I can be sure the flea stuff is off Charlie?

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you. Is there any cleaning
solutions he comes into contact with? Do you use fabric softener
on his blankets or clothes? How often do you bathe him and what
do you bathe him in?

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hello and welcome to the Lair! It looks like your Misha is in a good home with you! I wonder if the bumps could be hives, although since your furry cat goes out, it could be fleas too. They do look painful. Have you taken him to a vet about this? You should talk to the vet before you put any flea stuff on him at any rate. How old is he and why is he toothless? The reason he lost his teeth could have something to do with this also. Good luck with it! He looks like a handsome cat.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I adopted my male Peterbald Misha about a year ago. He came from a terrible home with tons of animals and was in rough shape when I got him, he had ear mites, cuts, and scars. He still has little black head looking things on his tail and face that I just can't seem to get rid of. It took him two months to get comfortable in my home and come out from his hiding place behind the toilet, and since then we have been inseparable. He has pretty bad separation anxiety when we are apart. In the beginning of May I moved into my Dad's house and he began to get little bumps, sort of like mosquito bites. Sometimes he would scratch them and they would get scabby but ultimately would heal up within a day or two. Nine days after moving into my Dad's I drove eight hours to my current home with Misha and my other furry kitty, Charlie. They didn't mind the trip. I thought that whatever was causing the sores would go away after moving but they have continued with new ones showing up and going away every day. Recently, little scabs about the size of a nickel have showed up usually on his chest but sometimes on his hind legs. He doesn't scratch at them and they go away after a couple days and heal just like any other scab. I have no idea what could be causing this and have switched litter, food, soap and laundry detergent, and it doesn't seem to make a difference at all. Their food bowls are stainless steel. At first I thought it might be stress but we have been in our new home for over a month now and he seems fine.

He does groom a lot as well, but he doesn't have any teeth so I'm not sure if that could be it.
A vet visit is probably a good answer, with that being said, does he lay on anything warm like a receiver or cable box that could cause burns or rashes? A cat tree or cat bed with coarse fabric?Is it just on his underside? Oh, by the way welcome! :)

maddy

Lairian
I bathe him about once a week with an all natural hypoallergenic baby soap. I can't think of any cleaning solutions he would be coming in contact with... and I don't use any fabric softeners on anything.

He is a rescue cat, and came from a pretty awful home. When the spca got him all of his teeth had rotted so they had to be pulled. He's about three.

I should make a vet appointment for sure but having just moved to the town I'm in now I haven't got a vehicle yet and the next vet it about an hours drive.

maddy

Lairian
I ran out of cat food this morning so I gave them some wet food and left for work. I just got home and Misha is COVERED in hives! I'm freaking out! I called the vets office but they aren't even open today, I have no idea what to do!

maddy

Lairian
I gave him about 10mg of Benadryl and that helped. The hives came back about five hours later but I just couldn't get him to take more Benadryl, he hates taking pills and kept spitting it out...

Joierenee

Lairian
Hi there,
I also have a peterbald cat that was in bad living conditions at the shelter.
She has the same small lumps all over her back legs and tail etc that looks like chicken skin. The vet said they are not cancer and probably cysts from some strange reaction.
She gets a big blotchy rash sometimes which goes away almost completely with Zyrtec.
Apparently these cats have a lot of hereditary problems probably from the inbreeding.
My cat needs to be on Zyrtec 5mg daily to avoid allergic reaction and on hypoallergenic hydrolyzed protein diet which is basically proteins that have been broken down into amino acids making it easier for them to digest.
I'd definitely like to speak more about the progress of our cats since their health issues sound so similar.
Please contact me at rjoieh at gmail

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Joierenee hello and welcome! I just noticed this thread was from June 2014. You must have found our "search" bar helpful. I have not seen this member active in the community since then. Please feel free to start your own thread on the topic and we can see who connects with similar issues.

Patti

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Joierenee I already replied to you in your own thread, but just wanted to add: An allergy blood test can show all food allergies as well as any other allergies. Guessing games aren't as accurate.

Joierenee

Lairian
Update: We went to the dermatologist today. She said that Poof may have an autoimmune disease that's common in hairless cats that causes her to have chronic hives all over her body.
However, it might still be food allergies.
In the mean time, her skin is infected from scratching. The infection is resistant to the antibiotics she was taking so we had to have a sample sent out to the lab for them to figure out which antibiotic will be the best treatment option for her.
My poor baby! I felt so bad for her I cried in the vets office. They told me she isn't pain and the worst she feels is the itching. She acts normal and happy and is doing well eating the hydrolyzed protein hypoallergenic diet.
I'll update once more once she gets her antibiotics and hopefully recovers!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Update: We went to the dermatologist today. She said that Poof may have an autoimmune disease that's common in hairless cats that causes her to have chronic hives all over her body.
However, it might still be food allergies.
In the mean time, her skin is infected from scratching. The infection is resistant to the antibiotics she was taking so we had to have a sample sent out to the lab for them to figure out which antibiotic will be the best treatment option for her.
My poor baby! I felt so bad for her I cried in the vets office. They told me she isn't pain and the worst she feels is the itching. She acts normal and happy and is doing well eating the hydrolyzed protein hypoallergenic diet.
I'll update once more once she gets her antibiotics and hopefully recovers!

@Joierenee aww, I understand you crying, we love our babies so much. I've cried at the vet's office many times too. :(

Have they ever tried a Convenia injection? I know that they sent a sample to the lab for the proper antibiotic to help her, but Convenia is used for skin bacterial infections. That's what it's for even though it seems like a quick and easy fix for other ailments.

Give her gentle hugs for me tonight and I look forward to your update.

Back