Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Phew! Done With the Bath

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Man, Oh man. I just gave ButterBall a bath. It's amazing how dirty that little clown can get in a week. He hates the water but I'm becoming more efficient at cleaning him. I can get him in and out in under two minutes. Of course, he's clawing and fighting the whole way and it always seems like I miss a spot. I think he's still mad at me because after I dried him off he tore through the house and is nowhere to be found. I wanted to know if any of you might have some tips for me to make cleaning a bit easier. I've tried just about anything I can think of to no avail. Thoughts, comments?

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Patience. The smaller the tub area the better try rewarding him during & after with a treat. If you are doing it in the bathtub try the kitchen sink.

sassyskye79

Lairian
I have my husband heat up a towel in the dryer when I give Jazelle a shower. Then I wrap her up in a nice hot towel. She likes it..Then I clean her ears, let her get out of the towel when she is done and give her a treat!

Rhubarb

Lairian
I have my husband heat up a towel in the dryer when I give Jazelle a shower. Then I wrap her up in a nice hot towel. She likes it..Then I clean her ears, let her get out of the towel when she is done and give her a treat!

We do the same thing! Buffy seems to enjoy having her ears cleaned while wrapped in a warm towel and it is always followed with a treat. She used to sometimes get squirmy in the sink but I started to just hold her in the sink/water (stop cleaning) until she calmed down and now she just sits there and lets me clean her. She learned that squirming only prolonged her experience. Patience is key!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
It is so funny how when I give the first one it's bath, the one that goes second knows what is going on and hides thinking I will give up well I don't because once I am soaked from bathing the first I have to finish no sense going thru that twice. I have learned that if you put enough water in the sink or tub so that it covers there legs and part of the belly they do not move as much, but really my Athena puts up a fight no matter what I do, so it's A good thing that she does real well at keeping herself clean so it is not too long in the tub for her,Leo on the other hand seems to always be dirty need longer in the tub, but he doesn't mind his bath. I think he gets embarrassed when he se's how dirty the water is!:tinysmile_aha_t:

streakin

Lairian
I've never had much of a problem giving Xerxes a bath. He doesn't LOVE it but he tollerates it for a while and even started almost 'playing' in there! I wash him in the tub, but here's the thing, I fill the water up so that when he stands in it, his belly is underwater halfway (all his legs are immersed) and that way he cant leap out at me very quickly. He's gotten to the point now where he doesnt cry anymore. Most of the things I've seen or read, they have the cats in a small amount of water in the sink or tub...I think that would just make them cold after the water is poured on which may be another reason to escape. That's why I fill the tub up pretty far, so he's covered in the nice warm water (I lift him up to wash the limbs and parts etc)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair streakin,
yeah that's a good idea,i think a lot of people ( including me) are afraid to add too much water! I think we will try that next time, Ill let you guys know ,probably this weekend.:tinysmile_eyebrow_t

Moonstone

Lairian
In fact, with my 6 sphynxes, I stopped bathing them. They don't like and I don't like they don't like. One of my sphynx is verty dirty rapidely, so I wash him every months with a hot wet towel only, (no tub, no bath, no water) and then dry him with an other towel. It's perfect for him and me.
The other sphynx are not so "dirty" so I wash them with a hot wet towel twice a year...it's enough.
More you clean them, more they are dirty.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
In fact, with my 6 sphynxes, I stopped bathing them. They don't like and I don't like they don't like. One of my sphynx is verty dirty rapidely, so I wash him every months with a hot wet towel only, (no tub, no bath, no water) and then dry him with an other towel. It's perfect for him and me.
The other sphynx are not so "dirty" so I wash them with a hot wet towel twice a year...it's enough.
More you clean them, more they are dirty.

I thought about using a towell. I may try that next time. I have a question for you Moonstone. How often do you clean out your sphynx's ears?

Moonstone

Lairian
I thought about using a towell. I may try that next time. I have a question for you Moonstone. How often do you clean out your sphynx's ears?

It really depends on their "skin". If the skin is "oily" and rapidely dirty, the ears are rapidely dirty too.
I do when it's time to do...for exemple :
Hanky is rapidely dirty, then I clean the ears every 15 days, because they are full of black things inside.
Tayler has a very good skin, I clean the ears 4 times per year only, and this is enough because the ears are clean.

And sometimes, my dog Arius, cleaned the ears of the cats. It was very funny to see that, he did that when my cats were still kittens. Now it's exceptional, but sometimes...still happens !
;-))

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Moonstone,
And welcome to sphynxlair!
That's interesting that you don't bath often.Our Leo is filthy in 1 hour after his bath! I will still bathe him but maybe ill towel him in between like you do.Good Idea.:tinysmile_twink_t:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When I first started giving Meecho a bath I would fill it up till it was about half way up her back. She would cry alot but wouldn't struggle too much. I got tired of bending down so much and I tried the sink and that was a disaster! She did get out of that and went straight to the litter box. I don't know who was more upset about that...me or her? Nothing like quick clumping litter on a wet cat. Now I don't know if this is for everyone, especially if you have a big scratcher. But I now give Meecho showers with me. She doesn't like it but she seems to stay much calmer if I'm holding her. If your brave you might try that. I'm hoping to get her to where she will just jump in with me so it's not a big production. So far so good, she likes to get in the tub all the time. Now if I can just get her to do it with the water running :)

Back