Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Naked Alien

Lairian
Hi guys, Warning long post ahead.

Kitty: NALA age: 6

Ever since I got sweet Nala she has had allergies, she has been on every diet, hydrolyzed protein, 3P raw food (camel, kangaroo, rabbit), Royal Canin, Hills, Purina, Science diet.

She does good for awhile(6mths to a year) and then boom, HUGE RASH or vomiting.

I got her off 3P (brand) raw about a year ago because she started throwing it up and I was pregnant with twins and very paranoid. Plus her vet office isn't a huge pusher of raw and I didn't have the support.

Right now she is on Maint Rabbit Kibble and Wet Kangaroo and you guessed it- vomiting( started with undigested food, ended with blood and bile and a vet visit) So I gave her some tuna water and tuna to make sure she wasn't getting dehydrate (did the pinch test and checked her gums and both were good but I wanted to make sure she was okay) she wasn't showing any other symptoms, she still had appetite and being good kitty. The tuna ended up giving her a rash as well. Her eyes are also leaky.

Vet Visit: Physical exam: Rash, red, puffy watery eyes (no ulcers or scratches), stomach and all organ she could feel felt great, little bit of plaque, temperature normal, blood drawn and sent off to the lab.

The vet gave me cerenia just in case she gets nauseous, of course once I booked the appt Nala has not been puking but I have only been giving her wet Kangaroo (which now the vet is back ordered and I'm all out!!!!) they told me to keep giving her the rabbit kibble WTF so I asked "do you have any food without chicken??" or hydrolyzed wet food (the kibble she has reacted to before) they gave me wet royal canin sensitivity vr, made with venison which is perfect because I have frozen deer from my husbands hunting trip this November. I have half a can of kangaroo left and probably 3 cups of rabbit kibble. They also refilled her prescription for low dose prednisone(the only solution the vet had for me last time baby Nala had a outbreak----ughhhh). They also did injection of antibiotic for her rash.

I search this blog high and low and bought Slippery Elm and Benadryl also Im thinking of making my own raw food with venison and I need to know exactly how to make a good raw diet as my vet will not recommend, they'd rather put Nala on drugs for the rest of her life.

Could someone help me with a raw diet recipe?
Is there a probiotic that will help Nala?
Please she needs your help, she has suffered too long. Her eyes are leaky and I clean them three times a day or more and use liposic ophthalmic gel.

Im hoping the Slippery Elm and Benadryl help get her back on track and then I can help her get off meds and not need cerenia or prednisone.

Her brother Jimmy died a couple months ago with acute heart failure (he had a murmur) it was one of the worst days of my life and I cant bare to see my Nala boo in distress, its been too long. 916129161391614

Sheldon13

Staff member
Poor baby.

The basics you need to know are recipe:

80%muscle
10%bone
10%organ
Added supplement such as better in the raw or Alnutrin

The opinion on percentages will vary by 5% here or there depending on who you ask but there is some flexibility.

Read this recipe here:

It is a great website and I’m pretty sure I’ve read it in its entirety. It’s very informative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Awww poor Nala....I'm sorry you and her are going through all this.

Just a couple of thoughts on what you said....

1. It can't hurt to try probiotics, but since Nala has a rash, it sounds more like an allergy to me than an issue with gut health. Probiotics are for gut health.

2. It's strange that on all those different proteins and raw food she has had issues. Have you done an elimination diet?
http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/food-hypersensitivities-performing-elimination-diet-trial

3. I'm not sure if you're giving her an omega 3 but that's a supplement that usually is NOT in commercial foods. It's usually recommended for heart and joint health but it's been known to help with a lot of things. One way you could easily add omega 3 to the diet is an occasional canned sardine (packed in water). Canned sardines are cooked but they are easy to find in stores. I buy frozen raw herring for my crew but it's not always available.

4. Something you could add to her food is digestive enzymes. They are different from probiotics. Digestive enzymes help break down the food. I have a cat that throws up on occasion, so I started putting digestive enzymes in the food. FYI this is really for pancreatic issues and I have no idea if my cat has pancreatic issues but I figured the cheapest way to find out is to just try them and see if they help. So you can decide for yourself if it's worth it.

Finally, you probably already know this but always read the labels of any store bought foods (even the prescription diets) because they often include allergens and random ingredients buried in the small print. This is one of the benefits of making food at home is that you can control everything that goes into the food. But as one who makes raw food at home, I can attest it's not always easy to find everything.

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Naked Alien Adorable avatar pic!

Big (((hugs ))) to you for your sweet Jimmy gettings his angel wings
So so sorry for your loss

Now for Nala boo ... oh my sweet girl
Kmow you have a lair full of positive vibes amd lair member support!
@Xandria ,@Condo commando and so many more members will certainly chime in with raw feeding assistance

Following closely for updates!
Head smooches !

Naked Alien

Lairian

Naked Alien

Lairian

1. It can't hurt to try probiotics, but since Nala has a rash, it sounds more like an allergy to me than an issue with gut health. Probiotics are for gut health.

2. It's strange that on all those different proteins and raw food she has had issues. Have you done an elimination diet?
http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/food-hypersensitivities-performing-elimination-diet-trial

3. I'm not sure if you're giving her an omega 3 but that's a supplement that usually is NOT in commercial foods. It's usually recommended for heart and joint health but it's been known to help with a lot of things. One way you could easily add omega 3 to the diet is an occasional canned sardine (packed in water). Canned sardines are cooked but they are easy to find in stores. I buy frozen raw herring for my crew but it's not always available.

4. Something you could add to her food is digestive enzymes. They are different from probiotics. Digestive enzymes help break down the food. I have a cat that throws up on occasion, so I started putting digestive enzymes in the food. FYI this is really for pancreatic issues and I have no idea if my cat has pancreatic issues but I figured the cheapest way to find out is to just try them and see if they help. So you can decide for yourself if it's worth it.

Finally, you probably already know this but always read the labels of any store bought foods (even the prescription diets) because they often include allergens and random ingredients buried in the small print. This is one of the benefits of making food at home is that you can control everything that goes into the food. But as one who makes raw food at home, I can attest it's not always easy to find everything.

Thank you so much, I totally forgot about digestives enzymes, I use to have to take them and I use to give them to her the first time we dealt with this, I will implement again. Oh I bet Nala would love some sardines, she loves fish but tuna gives her a rash, Ill try sardines, plus I feel so bad that she doesn't get treats (just cat nip and valerian root) that giving her things like that makes her and me very happy. Ya I read all the labels and it always gets me when everything is a different protein but chicken is like the second or third ingredient! Drives me nuts, I'm ready to make her homemade. I'm on Mat leave so now is the perfect time for me to really take the time and help my little naked baby. I will try the elimination diet as well, I'm so quick to add all the goodies to her food to try and help and give her a boost, but I need to get down to the cause! Again, Thank you so much. I'm feeling so empowered and ready to get my kitty to top notch health

Naked Alien

Lairian
@Naked Alien Adorable avatar pic!

Big (((hugs ))) to you for your sweet Jimmy gettings his angel wings
So so sorry for your loss

Now for Nala boo ... oh my sweet girl
Kmow you have a lair full of positive vibes amd lair member support!
@Xandria ,@Condo commando and so many more members will certainly chime in with raw feeding assistance

Head smooches !

Thank you so much, Jimmy was the nicest baby, He was a rescue, from Quebec, he was declawed and had arthritis because of it, I would massage his paws while he stared up at me purring. He was sold on sale because he had a furry tail, I absolutely adored it, it was purrrrrrfect. He also had a heart murmur and NEVER had any issues, no food allergies, no emergency vet visits. He passed very quickly though, he was such a soldier. He would always love Nala and she would attack him! Poor little Jimmy, we were so lucky to have him and have so many memories of our sweet little guy.
I also had another sphynx before Nala from the same breeder, Nalas half brother Zeus, the breeder stopped breeding, she also breeds apple head chihuahuas. I think she was too new at breeding Sphynx because Zeus passed away at 8 months do to intussusception, when his intestines scoped into itself and we got him surgery because it caused a blockage and he later passed of pneumonia. Zeus was the most docile cat that we would bring him to family dinners and he would sit on anyone's lap and just purr. Do you think males are calmer because Jimmy and Zeus were very calm. Could be that Nala is just always uncomfortable so she only like her routine, and house and ME! lol

My Avatar is Jimmy (pink white) and Nala with one of my twin boys, Miller. I cant believe how gentle and loving my cats treat my boys, the boys get away with things nobody else does! Will post more pic in introduction. Thank you so much for the love! Nala is feeling the head smooches!

Naked Alien

Lairian
so update

Day three (morning) and no puke.

I mixed the royal canin VR with her old food and half a capsule of slipper elm (Nala is 4.8lbs unsure dosage) and water. She enjoys the food and came to give me chin bumps and head cuddles, she is wrapped up in her king size velvet blankey right beside me purring.

Her eyes aren't red right now but have the brown stuff around them, I use colloidal silver to clean with liposic but the vet said the silver will burn her eyes if gets in but is okay to clean surrounding area. I also have maxitrol drops and I put a drop in each just to see how she fairs, uh oh I'm getting the stink eye! Quick chin pets! haha

Okay so I need Omega-3, digestive enzymes, alnutrin, and to try elimination diet.
I'm going to start with Plain old venison but what if she doesn't eat it, she likes gourmet you know? haha my prissy poo.

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST BTW.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Naked Alien , Awhh Hugs
Zeus and Jimmy were loved beyond words amd only knew your love
I kept my avatar pic to honor my girl

All paws crossed for Nala! Yah day 3 no puke!
Thank you for sharing the vet info on colloidal silver that iit can sting the eyes
I never knew! Helpful info for all of us thank you !
I keep on hand vetericyn eye wash as well as many members keep on hand vetericyn spray and hydrogel for skin

Here is the thread my @Xandria ypu my have been searching for ?

Don’t forget the top right search box is a great tool
Also when you read threads scroll down to the bottom for “similar threads ‘
The lair family is certainly there for you ! Domt hesitate to ask any questions !

Keep us updated on the products
We all learn and grow together

I also keep on hand diar-eze and recently just ordered a probiotic

Last edited:

Sheldon13

Staff member
And to add to that, don’t buy grocery store meat and use it for meals. It’s been sitting out thawed and will have extra germs. But from a reputable source (I use hare-today) that freezes the meat and organs immediately and sends it to you frozen. Others can chime in where they get theirs. Your venison will work well for a trial test because you guys know where it came from and undoubtedly treated it right. Long term though, you will need to find a way to add those organs and bone. A lot of the suppliers have it premixed for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back