Piglet did it!!!!

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Tails' started by sydkat7, Aug 29, 2009.

1. sydkat7

sydkat7V.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $572.00
    Ratings:
    +658
    Piglet not only passed the DPP (Denver Pet Partners) final evalaution yesterday, she did so well, she also got the more advanced "complex" rating (most beginner therapy animals get "predictable"), which means she and I can visit any facility that accepts cats, no matter how challenging. :ThumbsUp: I'm so proud of my little Pigster....she really did me proud yesterday. Piglet of course not only charmed all of the evaluators with her cute sphynx personality, but she also charmed the entire American Humane staff...no one wanted her to leave after her evaluation. Needless to say, Pigs and I are now an official Amercian Humane/Denver Pet Partners therapy team! :Celebrate:

After we passed the eval, Piglet and I had our photos taken for the ID badges that'll be issued to us. Piglet will also get issued a Delta Society green vest to wear on our visits. Now our next steps are that I have to fill out a bunch of forms to send to the Delta Society, get Piglet a clean bill of health from our vet, and sign up for some ride-along visits with the more experienced teams. :BigSmile:

2. admin

adminAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $289,045.84
    Ratings:
    +18,107
    • Pig
    • Venus Fly trap
    • Black Sphynx
    • Skull head
    Congrats!!!!! Im so proud of you guys!! Great work, I new Piglet was special!!!!! I will celabrate in some way on the site!!!:ThumbsUp::Laugh::Laugh::Laugh::Wink::BigSmile:

3. CoolSphynx

CoolSphynxLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $368.00
    Ratings:
    +28
    WAHOOOOOOO ! Go Piglet and sydkat7!
    [​IMG]

4. Mews2much

Mews2muchV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $142.00
    Ratings:
    +2,011
    Congrats on a job well done.

5. sydkat7

Sphynx Bucks:
    $572.00
    Ratings:
    +658
    Thanks, admin, cool, M2M and everybody....Piglet and I couldn't have done quite so well without the support we've received from all of you here on Sphynx Lair, as well as the great direction we received from our DPP mentor Tami Skinner and her amazing disabled Sheltie dog "Dare". Here's a slideshow featuring Dare and the work he's been doing with disabled people in Denver:

http://mobile.reuters.com/mobile/m/Gallery/nRCOMUS_ALL_uUSRTR25QRM?kw=googbreakFEB07?sym=.HSI

6. PitRottMommy

PitRottMommyBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $322.00
    Ratings:
    +287
  7. sydkat7

Sphynx Bucks:
    $572.00
    Ratings:
    +658
    Thanks, PittRottMommy! You'll be proud to know that Piglet was wearing one of your sweaters when she was doing her evaluation (the cotton lavender one). :BigSmile: Everybody there kept commenting on how cute her sweater looked on her and how flattering the lavender was with her coloring! (I wish I would've gotten a picture but there was just too much going on at once).

8. kerrie78

kerrie78Senior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $555.00
    Ratings:
    +89
    I knew she'd breeze through that no problem! Now comes the truly rewarding part of it! :ThumbsUp::BigSmile::Laugh::ThumbsUp::Exclamation:

9. kalliee129

kalliee129Senior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $453.02
    Ratings:
    +56
    I knew Piglet was destined to be a hero one day! I can't wait to hear all the heart warming stories we'll get to hear about her visits. :ThumbsUp:

10. The Mayor

The MayorLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $0.00
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congrats Pigster!

11. Allison

AllisonLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $464.00
    Ratings:
    +5
    That is so marvelous! Congratulations and I look forward to seeing Piglet make so many more people happy

:BigSmile:

12. nbolin

nbolinSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $387.00
    Ratings:
    +133
    Thats awesome!! I was thinking of doing something like this with Kreacher. With my husband being gone for months at a time..I need to fill up my time, and eveywhere where I bring him...he's so good with other people...how would you even get started with something like this?

13. ilovemysphynx

ilovemysphynxAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6,141.16
    Ratings:
    +3,088
    • Fish
    • Dragon fly
    • Candy
    Congrats to Piglet and you! that is great can't wait for the stories you are doing A great thing:ThumbsUp::Celebrate::Exclamation:

14. sydkat7

Sphynx Bucks:
    $572.00
    Ratings:
    +658
    Thanks, everybody, for your kind words. When Piglet and I were going through the evaluation, one of the evaluators told me that doing this kind of work will be "a life changing experience" for us....from the little bit I've been exposed to so far, I believe it! As both of my parents suffered from cancer, I would like for Piglet and I to do some work with the Rocky Mountain Cancer Center (outpatient cancer treatment center) in Colorado Springs. I figured that the patients there who are losing their hair due to chemo could probably really relate to Piglet being hairless....LOL! :Wink:

nbolin, You may want to check this site to see which AAT programs are operating in your area: http://landofpuregold.com/rxb.htm
    Just to let you know, any program affliated with the Delta Society will have higher standards and be more organized than a non-Delta Society group. Most therapy animals are dogs for the obvious reasons, but I really believe that sphynx cats are also ideal for this type of work thanks to their naturally outgoing and friendly personalities. I'm just surprised that there aren't more sphynxes out there working as therapy animals (Piglet is the first and only one so far in Colorado!).

15. CoolSphynx

CoolSphynxLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $368.00
    Ratings:
    +28
    have you guys been called to duty yet? :BigSmile:
    I can't wait to see Pigarooski in the official therapy vest/cape!

16. sydkat7

Sphynx Bucks:
    $572.00
    Ratings:
    +658
    Hey Coolsphynx, thanks for asking about us! Pigs and I are still waiting on our ID badges from the Delta Society but they should be coming soon. I hope the vest comes with the badges. Once we get that stuff, we will start going on supervised visits with a more experienced team for awhile until we get the hang of it. I, too, can't wait to see the Piggers in her therapy vest...she'll look too cute in it for sure!

17. harley

harleySenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $472.00
    Ratings:
    +64
    Congrats...:ThumbsUp:

18. CoolSphynx

CoolSphynxLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $368.00
    Ratings:
    +28
    it would be cool if Piglet could wear something or give out a sticker or business card that says "Bald is Sexy" when you do your work with cancer patients. :Smile:

Sphinx Dobby is all "me me me" so he will not be following in Piggy's humanitarian footsteps. But one of my furred fosters is quite a ham and is very good with people while on a harness (we go for walks). I just went to the delta society training course site to see if she might have what it takes to be certified if I adopt her. I worry about her hair bothering people though, but i'm sure they are very careful to ask about pet allergies ahead of time

19. kalliee129

kalliee129Senior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $453.02
    Ratings:
    +56
    It's funny you mention the cancer patient therapy. That is really what I wanted Meecho to do is work with children with cancer so she could show that you don't need to have hair or look the same to be beautiful and special. When I was talking to fairfax pet on wheels they loved that idea. unfortunately in my area we don't have anything for that. Once we get Meecho started she will spend most if not all of her time in nursing homes, but I'm still trying to get in touch with Walter Reed hospital for the veterans and a hospice center down herr in fredericksburg. If only people would return my calls and emails :Angry: All these places want stupid dogs :Angry::Angry: sorry my dogs and anyone else who has a dog here is not stupid :Pudently: just the people who won't take Meecho have stupid dogs :Laugh:

20. harley

harleySenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $472.00
    Ratings:
    +64
    Dogs are wonderful animals and great for somethings, but I nust agree with you. I think a cancer patient would love the bare beauty , warmth, kisses, and healing love of a nude bare SPHYNX the best....:BigSmile: