Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Piglet's been busy (with animal assisted therapy)

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sorry I've been away from Sphynx Lair for so long....as some of you already know, my laptop keyboard got broken a few weeks ago by Piglet trying to sleep on it, so she pretty much busted my PC. Not even the Geek Squad could save it....sigh. :Woo: I was mad at the Pigster at the time, but in retrospect, I think she actually did me a favor, as my PC was really old (over 5 years old - ancient in computer years!) and had been having issues for a long time. So as of today, after decades of using PCs, I decided to go Apple and I'm now the proud owner of a new iMac! I was hesitant to switch to Apple at first but now I'm glad I did...I love my new iMac! :Kiss:

But I digress....I wanted to update you all on Piglet's latest activities with animal-assisted therapy. After the American Humane appreciation dinner in early December, Piglet received a lot of attention from the powers-to-be at American Humane. You see, because Piglet is a cat, AAT activities that she could participate with in the organization were limited as a lot of them were dog-specific only. I kept rallying (okay, pushing really) for more cat-friendly AAT programs for Piglet, but it fell on deaf ears until that fateful dinner. Since then, Piglet has received offers to participate in several new programs, both in Denver & Colorado Springs, more than we can possibly do with me working full-time. Piglet is still visiting the nursing home in the Springs twice a month, but here are some of her other existing and new projects:

1) Piglet and I are now visiting an adult day care program in Aurora (a suburb of Denver) once a month. The folks there consist of elderly folks with dementia as well as some younger folks with various mental disabilities. It's a great program with some very dedicated staff, all who are most appreciative of Piglet's visits. Piglet and I will be visiting them again the week after next. :Smile:

2) On the Saturday before Christmas, Piglet and I participated in an American Humane Association fundraiser in conjunction with Whole Foods. It consisted of Piglet and I standing in front of a Whole Foods store in central Denver for an hour along with another animal therapy team (with a dog) telling the Whole Foods shoppers about the program and encouraging them to make donations to the organization. I have to give Piglet kudos for her stamina and tirelessness as it was less than 30 degrees F in Denver that day and we were standing outside. Don't get me wrong, Piglet was well-bundled up with sweaters and blankets, but she was still cold. She was a real trooper and true professional though, greeting the folks despite the cold weather!

3) Piglet and I are working towards getting involved with the "Paws to Read" program with our local library system in the Springs. If we can get approved to participate, Piglet will be the first and only cat in the program!'

4) I saved the best for last....Piglet and I are currently working on getting clearance to participate with the Ft.Carson (which is an Army base in Colorado Springs) American Red Cross Animal Therapy program at the base hospital. This program is sponsored by the American Red Cross and not American Humane, so we have to go through the approval and clearance process with the Red Cross and the US Army, which consists of a whole lot of "hoops" for Piglet and I to jump, including various veterinarian check ups for Piglet and military clearance for me. Once we get approved, Piglet again will be the first and only cat in the program, so she'll be a little trailblazer for therapy cats working with the military. What she and I will be doing is visiting sick military personnel and their families at Evans
Hospital. :BigSmile:

If you read through all this...thank you! I am so proud of my little Piglet representing cats and sphynx cats in particular as a registered therapy animal! :ThumbsUp:

Gizzymom

Banned
WOW!!! Little Piglet has been busy!! I am SO proud of you both!! Piglet is doing all sphynx cats proud by representing well (even in the cold). And you getting Piglet recognized and involved on more activities is awesome!! I know it must be so hard with a full time job, but you both seem to enjoy it so much!

I think Piglet should become an honorary military service person!!:ThumbsUp:

Congrats to you both... Well done:Laugh:

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Piglet has been a very busy girl (and mom too of course)! I am so proud of you both for helping people in need. The work you are both doing is remarkable and I agree that piglet should be an honorary military sphynx:BigSmile: Good luck and keep us posted...

Congrats to both you and Piglet! Good to see you are able to visit the Lair again! We are all so proud of you! You have indeed been busy with Miss piglet being the trailblazer that she is.

That is great that she has been opening the doors to further opportunities for other therapy cats as well as becoming the first in some areas! Kudos to Piglet!

Keep us updated on how things go on the Red Cross program. That is just awesome! I hope everything works out!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
WOW!!! Little Piglet has been busy!! I am SO proud of you both!! Piglet is doing all sphynx cats proud by representing well (even in the cold). And you getting Piglet recognized and involved on more activities is awesome!! I know it must be so hard with a full time job, but you both seem to enjoy it so much!

I think Piglet should become an honorary military service person!!:ThumbsUp:

Congrats to you both... Well done:Laugh:
Thank you, Gizzymom...yes, we have been very busy lately and the Ft Carson approval process gets tiring at times, but I'd like to think that it'll all be worth it in the end. Piglet is just simply amazing, though...her patience and stamina with animal-assisted therapy is uncanny...it's as if she KNOWS she has an important job to do! :Laugh:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Piglet has been a very busy girl (and mom too of course)! I am so proud of you both for helping people in need. The work you are both doing is remarkable and I agree that piglet should be an honorary military sphynx:BigSmile: Good luck and keep us posted...
Congrats to both you and Piglet! Good to see you are able to visit the Lair again! We are all so proud of you! You have indeed been busy with Miss piglet being the trailblazer that she is.

That is great that she has been opening the doors to further opportunities for other therapy cats as well as becoming the first in some areas! Kudos to Piglet!

Keep us updated on how things go on the Red Cross program. That is just awesome! I hope everything works out!
Thank you, sphynxie and dreaming, I agree that Piglet should be an honorary military cat. One of the dogs in the Red Cross program was given an honorary military rank, so I hope the same will happen for Piglet. Could you just see it now...Private First Class Piglet...LOL! :LOL: Fortunately, the man who runs the Animal Therapy program at Ft Carson is a great guy and is very excited to get Piglet and I on board with his program!

I like to think that Piglet is also representing the sphynx breed in her AAT activities, :BigSmile: showing people how awesome sphynx cats really are!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You and Piglet are creating some very big shoes for future AAT teams to fill. We're so proud of you. We all know how special our baldies are, but you and Piglet are proving it to the world and making people feel good at the same time. The pictures of Piglet with the residents bring tears to my eyes.

bellasmom

Banned
WOW!!! Busy Busy Busy!:Dizzy: And it all sounds like so much fun!!:BigSmile: Congrats to you and Piglet!
Also congrats on your MAC! I am also a MAC lover and will never go back. They are the best things ever once you get use to using them. I had converted in college for photography and I am so glad I did!
My mom is in charge of the Paws-To-Read program here at our local library and has been for some time. I keep wanting to get Bella in there however they dont accept cats in the therapy "dog" programs here. However since my Mom is in charge.... Im sure I could sneak her in:Wink::Wink:.

Congrats again on everything new!!

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Woha!
What a couple of weeks without computer can do for productivity :Hysterical:

Really nice post (except for the cross over to enemy territory, Apple :LOL:).
I would love to get involved in the same things as you and Piglet and am sure Darwin would be just perfect for it, I just don't know where to start.
As far as I know there are no organised programs in Sweden for these things and you basically need to contact nursing homes and hospitals yourself.
Problem is that all such places (almost) have to be allergy proof, it is not uncommon that even flowers are prohibited for that very reason here.
Hospitals would be impossible don't think a hospital here can allow it even if they wanted because of regulations but at some nursing homes for eldery or disabled I know pets are part of the therapy, either by them owning pets or by people visiting with pets.

Really gonna look into it, especially with Piglet setting such a good exemple.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
WOW!!! Busy Busy Busy!:Dizzy: And it all sounds like so much fun!!:BigSmile: Congrats to you and Piglet!
Also congrats on your MAC! I am also a MAC lover and will never go back. They are the best things ever once you get use to using them. I had converted in college for photography and I am so glad I did!
My mom is in charge of the Paws-To-Read program here at our local library and has been for some time. I keep wanting to get Bella in there however they dont accept cats in the therapy "dog" programs here. However since my Mom is in charge.... Im sure I could sneak her in:Wink::Wink:.

Congrats again on everything new!!
Thanks, bellasmom....I've been a PC girl for years but I am SO loving the Mac! It's so much simpler and more intuitive than working with a PC. The salesman at the Apple Store in my area was telling me that once one has a Mac, they don't have to worry about making it work like one does with a PC, they can just do their thing and let the Apple do the rest. I didn't know what he was talking about until I started using my Mac today. It's so nice to have a computer that just WORKS with no worries.:ThumbsUp:

That's cool that your mom is in charge of the Paws to Read program in your area. Having her at the helm should make it easier for you to get involved with Bella. :Wink: The lady that is in charge of it here in the Springs wasn't too sure about taking on a cat in the program, but she still wants to meet me and Piglet later this week, so I'm taking that as a good sign. :ThumbsUp:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Woha!
What a couple of weeks without computer can do for productivity :Hysterical:

Really nice post (except for the cross over to enemy territory, Apple :LOL:).
I would love to get involved in the same things as you and Piglet and am sure Darwin would be just perfect for it, I just don't know where to start.
As far as I know there are no organised programs in Sweden for these things and you basically need to contact nursing homes and hospitals yourself.
Problem is that all such places (almost) have to be allergy proof, it is not uncommon that even flowers are prohibited for that very reason here.
Hospitals would be impossible don't think a hospital here can allow it even if they wanted because of regulations but at some nursing homes for eldery or disabled I know pets are part of the therapy, either by them owning pets or by people visiting with pets.

Really gonna look into it, especially with Piglet setting such a good exemple.
Like I told Bellasmom, I've been using PCs for decades but I'm a Mac convert now. Why do you dislike Apple...do you own stock in Microsoft??? :Hysterical::Hysterical:

Actually, ypvsypvs, the laws here prohibit cats from visiting hospitals (because of the toxoplasmosis issue) so I was surprised at first that the Red Cross would allow Piglet to visit Evans Hospital on base. However, I found later that the reason Piglet can visit Evans is because the military outsources all of their immuno-compromised patients, such as cancer patients, to other hospitals in the area, so there are no patients at Evans who are immuno-deficient. Therefore Piglet will be able to visit on most of the wards in the hospital with the exception of patients who are allergic to cats, of course. There may be a possibility that Piglet can also do some work in the Army social services program, with abuse and domestic violence victims, et all. But one step at a time for now. :BigSmile:

As for AAT programs in Sweden, I know that AAT is in its infancy in Europe for now but that is changing, as some of our representatives from American Humane have been campaigning for AAT at some of the conferences in Europe, namely in Spain and France. However, even if you can't visit at hospitals in Sweden, you may want to try nursing homes or schools. I'm sure they would welcome visits from a friendly hairless cat like Darwin! :Smile:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Piggles is so awesome. I think Butterball could learn a thing or two from her.
I think we all can, El Gato. The program director at the Aurora adult day care center said it best; she said that Piglet is very "zen" like a Buddhist monk. :Cool:

Gizzymom

Banned
I think we all can, El Gato. The program director at the Aurora adult day care center said it best; she said that Piglet is very "zen" like a Buddhist monk. :Cool:
Butternuts has a belly like a buddha... does that count??:LOL::LOL:

Sorry, Ball... couldn't help it!:Laugh:

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am so glad to hear about Piglets career taking off!!!
That is fantastic and sounds like it is very hard work!

We have had a lot of trouble here with Nofuratu....he is officially a registered therapy pet and has passed his testing, but we cant find a place for him to visit!!
The nearest city is very small with only two hospitals, which allow therapy pet visits but because they are currently visited by st. johns ambulance therapy dogs, they dont seem to want to let another organization in....
Ive found it very frustrating....sounds like I just need to keep working at it though!!!

Congrats piglet! I love the idea of "private piglet"...LOL>..priceless!

Adventures of A Naked Cat

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Wow, I feel very proud to "know" you and Piglet. This is just so awesome, I love it! What an ambassador Piglet is!!! Please continue to share, I love reading stuff like this, it makes my s****y work days not so s****y. I especially like the military work, that is really unique. :BigSmile: