Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Pigmentation?

jacksonjackie

Lairian
Hi everybody.
Jackson is my first and only sphynx. What’s this discolouration on his side? Originally the darker mark was a lot smaller. It’s not raised or scabby. He’s not licking at it. It won’t wash off whatsoever.
He used to have darker pigmentation on his back legs too, traveling towards his private part. It was black discolouration, scared me so I went to the vets. The vet didn’t have a clue, she believed it was nothing to be concerned about.. She did a scrape test. He was all clear. I’m trying to find a vet who is a bit more experienced with the sphynx breed. The vet I went to was more mesmerized seeing a sphynx for the first time lol. The pigmentation on his back legs just disappeared months later. Now this one on his side has appeared.
I noticed his face is getting darker too. I thought it was oil or dirt, won’t come off with exfoliating gently or coconut oil. His neck has darker pigmentation lately. I’ve wondered if it’s just him as he ages, the skin changing, maybe sun damage. The creases of his wrinkles over the years darkened too and will not lighten after a wash. Reminds me of tiger stripes. He’s 10. :)

Attachments

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Often it is simply pigmentation, especially in darker babies...does your baby sunbathe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jacksonjackie

Lairian
Often it is simply pigmentation, especially in darker babies...does your baby sunbathe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the response :)I get a gut feeling it’s just pigmentation too. He does sunbathe sometimes, watching the birds. He sits on the floor vents a lot too.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@jacksonjackie welcome to sphynxlair! My girl Jade has a similar colour as Jackson and she also has these dark spots. It's pigmentation, nothing to worry about. Jade also had some white spots, a lack of pigmentation!