Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Pinkz the Sphynx

RuthArt

Lairian
Hi, I'm Ruth and have recently had a Sphynx cat come into my yard. He was hot, sunburned with scabs on his head from the burn, so I figure he had been out for a while (unless someone else took him in and he escaped). I am trying to find the owner, but if we don't, he is welcome to stay with us (and our 4 *ordinary*cats and German Shepherd. I'm thinking he has been with dogs because he didn't seem terrified of her!)

I took him to the vet to be checked out, I was very concerned about the burn but she said he was in good shape.

He pretty much stays in our computer room. I was very surprised when I first took him in that he didn't seem to mind staying in the large dog crate....perhaps he is a retired show cat or breeder....he is neutered. (Now he has graduated to sleeping in a tube sack on the computer desk.) He likes being held and especially sitting in our laps. He loves my husband and I think the same is true of my husbands feelings toward him because he doesn't seem too upset that we may have to keep him. I didn't want to take him to the animal shelter because they don't give out info over the phone, people have to come in if they want to see whats there. I felt he also had special needs that they would not be able to give him since their resources are practically nil. I left a notice in the found book and put up ads at PetSmart, on Craig's List and Tabby Tracker.

I would be upset to lose this cat....so I know someone is probably looking for him. I got in touch with a breeder in San Diego but she only said she would be able to quickly find him a home if we don't want to keep him.

I hope to find out more info on this breed to help us take better care of him and to share in the experiences of these special little creatures we have been fortunate to encounter.

hugs, Ruth

Brooke

Banned
Welcome to the forum, Ruth,

Well, it sounds like this guy is very lucky to have wandered into your yard! :ThumbsUp:
It sounds like you've gone above and beyond to find his owner, and make sure he's in good shape...if you do end up keeping him - welcome to the wonderful world of the sphynx!
If not, I already have a feeling he won't be the last sphynx that comes into your life - I bet you're already hooked, right? :LOL:

We're here to help if you have any questions, but you seem to be doing just fine!

RuthArt

Lairian
thank you Brooke, it would be very lonesome not to have one of these in our home now....totally hooked we are!!!! Perhaps when our old cats are gone (I have 4 old ones....15, 15, 18, and 19 (my oldest is in renal failure and I give him subQ fluids 2x/day and high blood pressure med - he went blind for a couple of days and when we found out his blood pressure was high, the meds gave him back his sight!! I'm so glad I read about it on the net because I just thought it was old age otherwise!)

hugs, Ruth

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to Sphynx Lair
The breeder my new sphynx is coming from is in San Diego.
Be careful with people that may try to say he is their cat.
They might say he is thirs just because he is a sphynx.
I have a 17.5 year old cat with CRF also and high bp.
Is your cat on norvasc?
The breeder of my new kitten wanted me to come to her place to get the kitten but my CRF cat is a problm.
She must have the bp meds so I can not stay overnight anywhere.
Is your cat on other meds?
I hope you get to keep the sphynx.

RuthArt

Lairian
thanks for the welcome Kerrie.

Mews2much, yes, my CRF cat is on Norvasc (Amlodipine). I was shocked that none of my vets said anything about watching the eyes for signs of HBP.....the enlarged pupils should have tipped me off, but he sleeps so much, I only noticed recently and commented to my husband that he reminded me of an alien!!! So I blasted my vets and told them they should be warning people with CRF cats what to look for. So glad the info was on the net or he would have been blind forever. I guess there is a 24-48 hour window for the retinas to reattach if the meds are given soon enough. I've always thought he was my miracle cat!!

Is the breeder's name Janice? If so, she is very nice and said she felt God had directed Pinkz to me to help me when my CRF cat has to leave.

Now Pinkz on the other had.....looks like an alien for sure!! lol

I have noticed at least 3 defining 'marks' on his body to help me determine if he really belongs to someone. No, he won't go to someone just because they say he's theirs, they will have to prove it.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Ruth welcome to Sphynx Lair! What a story! I feel for the owner because we would be devastated to loose our sphynx cats. But if I did loose one of my special babies I hope some one like you would find him and nurture him until I got him back, but, on the other hand maybe he was an unwanted pet or something to that extent so if you do have the pleasure of keeping him I assure you they are special creatures who will love you till the end!
Good luck and keep us posted on your story! We are glad you found us! :Laugh:
p.s. there is plenty of info on here to help you with tis new special kitty!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes Janice is the breeder.
The seal/white kitten that says Jacky is mine.
Your vet should have told you about the bp.
I lost Stripe to a stroke because of high bp from CRF.
My old vet never said anything about it.
I took Coco to er for her bladder problems last Sept and they said her eyes did not look right and she had CRF.
My vet did the bp test and very fast.
Her pupils were big also.
She has been on the bp meds since last Oct.
I have them compounded.
You can always get a kitten from Janice if someone claims him.
She has more kittens coming.
I have another sphynx also that I show.
Is that a picture of him that is your avatar?
He looks like he could be a Peterbald.
You have any pictures?

RuthArt

Lairian
yes, that's Pinkz in my avatar......I never thought about him being anything other than a Sphynx!!! That picture was taken the day I found him.....he looks better now, I'll have to get some pictures loaded to an album. Perhaps you will be able to tell a bit better when you see bigger pictures. I also like to play with them in my graphic program (adding color and design).

I tried pills because the first prescription of Norvasc was compounded but when I got it again, it was a different consistancy and I had to shake it so long to get it to mix properly, I was afraid he wouldn't get the right amount. But pills were hard to give, he could spit them out (I get really shakey when it comes to pill giving!!) So now I'm trying a compound from a different vet....we'll see how that goes in the future.

Oh, I have a photobucket account.....can we post images here from outside or should they only be from albums that we set up here??? And what is the size limit for here, I looked and couldn't see (like the avatars have to be 100x100).

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Yes you can just copy the

Brooke

Banned
Hi Ruth,
From the FAQ's:

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing
after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

RuthArt

Lairian
I thought I would try the thumbnail option for Photobucket, you will have to click on them to get to the full size.

I like to take pictures of him and then play in paint shop pro to make them 'arty'.

I love the way he's looking at hubby!!

You can see the top of his head where the scabs are. They came off pretty quickly, very thin, so perhaps it wasn't so bad, but still, he should not have been out and about.

here he is in the dog crate (big enough for German Shepherd when we take trips in the van.) he seemed quite at home in there. His upper canines were very brown but I notice they are cleaning up with the dry cat food I give.

Brooke

Banned
Aw, poor little fella, that sunburn! :Sad:

I'm so glad you've got him now, Ruth. I look forward to seeing him after he's all healed and gets a bath - he really is a cutie...I love those pretty green eyes in the last photo!!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
He sure is looking better:ThumbsUp: Good Job I still can't belive no one has looked for him, but glad you found him you now are owned by A sphynx and by the looks of your pics so is your husband:Wink:

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Awwww...the poor baby, it would have broken my heart to see that in person. We definately need more people like you in our society! I can't imagine if it was a good owner that they didn't search tooth and nail to find him. I know I would for mine!! Sounds like he's in a better place now!!

RuthArt

Lairian
I really think he was a man's cat, he totally loves my hubby....will sit and squirm into his lap.....hubby even loves to kiss the top of Pinkz head. So he definitely has a home here.

thanks, everyone, for all your comments.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am glad you are keeping him.
Cleo liked men better when I first got her.
My new sphynx is coming in 2 weeks.

Back