Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Plaque and tartar buildup with red, sensitive inflamed gums.

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
Did you get a very check to make sure your baby doesn't have Stomatitis. My poor baby has it. Eventually he will have no teeth. All's I can say is Thank God I have insurance that covers dental..

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
I was thinking it could be gingivitis as his gums are only red, irritated and sensitive where there seems to be plaque and tartar and it doesn't seem to be on his tongue although it could be slightly on his back cheek near his gums. Bless your lovely cat!

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
@oilyanimalhuman always best to check with your vet before using products/ tools and follow their recommendations.
i have seen those dental tools but I think it best to check with your vet... don't want to hurt anything
I might check with the vet to see if I can treat it at home and if they have any gels or tips on softening and removing the plaque and tartar and soothing the red, irritated sensitive gums as I don't feel comfortable with anaesthetic, especially if I can try and treat it at home. I know, I'm always very cautious and wary whenever I do anything and I have to feel completely comfortable and knowledgeable on anything I do and use.

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
Do you think I should get these

The plaque and tartar powder to try and soften the plaque and tartar build-up so the dental chews can try and remove the plaque and tartar build-up? Are the ingredients in them both safe for sphynx? Thank you!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@oilyanimalhuman forgot to add I feed as treats Hills Oral care kibble.
the vet's office sell the "Prescription " dental food but mine didn't like it so I ordered the non prescription.
my 9 yr old boy has a grade 3 murmur and not comfortable doing anesthesia either.

please let me know what your vet suggests for dental care /products... it is very helpful to the community to learn about other products

*** . just to share always best to vet check if you see redness, swelling ... very important .. cat's are good at hiding pain.
dental infections can spread to the heart... ( I actually even know a person that it happened to}

keep us updated

hugs n head smooches

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have gone in for prevention as well as brushing; I add Virbac Vet Aquadent to the drinking water, and I also use the Virbac enzymatic toothpaste (fish flavour I think) on a silicone finger toothbrush. I also feed Hill's Science Plan Oral Care dry food.

The water additive is supposed to make it harder for plaque and tartar to get a grip on the teeth. It's kind of hard to know if this sort of thing works, but I think it does. Reason being that when I went to brush Butchie's teeth I noticed a bit of discoloration building up on his canines, but it came straight off with a bit off scraping with my nail and then the brush.

I didn't know you could get one of those teeth scraping implements, but agree that you'd have to be careful with that! I was trying to picture using it, and I think it'd be hard, especially way back in the mouth :oops:

I agree you should ask your vet's opinion, since it might have got to the point where he needs treatment if he's in pain. Please do keep us posted! :)

Sheldon13

Staff member
My vet explained to me that in cats the teeth actually have to be scraped up under the gums and this has to be done under anesthesia because it is painful (I had asked if we could get a dental on Ellie with just mild sedation)

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
No substitute for a good brushing! We use the C.E.T. Cat toothbrush here. Nice and small and her favorite toothpaste flavor is malted. (Yuck lol
emoji1785.png
emoji6.png
)

@oilyanimalhuman forgot to add I feed as treats Hills Oral care kibble.
the vet's office sell the "Prescription " dental food but mine didn't like it so I ordered the non prescription.
my 9 yr old boy has a grade 3 murmur and not comfortable doing anesthesia either.

please let me know what your vet suggests for dental care /products... it is very helpful to the community to learn about other products

*** . just to share always best to vet check if you see redness, swelling ... very important .. cat's are good at hiding pain.
dental infections can spread to the heart... ( I actually even know a person that it happened to}

keep us updated

hugs n head smooches
I will let you know! I know, there just isn't a lot of trust with the vet due to past bad experiences but I have done a lot of research and I will email the vet for some advice and explain the situation. I will! Thank you!

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
I have gone in for prevention as well as brushing; I add Virbac Vet Aquadent to the drinking water, and I also use the Virbac enzymatic toothpaste (fish flavour I think) on a silicone finger toothbrush. I also feed Hill's Science Plan Oral Care dry food.

The water additive is supposed to make it harder for plaque and tartar to get a grip on the teeth. It's kind of hard to know if this sort of thing works, but I think it does. Reason being that when I went to brush Butchie's teeth I noticed a bit of discoloration building up on his canines, but it came straight off with a bit off scraping with my nail and then the brush.

I didn't know you could get one of those teeth scraping implements, but agree that you'd have to be careful with that! I was trying to picture using it, and I think it'd be hard, especially way back in the mouth :oops:

I agree you should ask your vet's opinion, since it might have got to the point where he needs treatment if he's in pain. Please do keep us posted! :)
That's good! How long have you been doing that for and using the water aquadent? Do you think colloidal silver antibacterial spray would have the same effect or help? You definitely would have to be careful using that tool and be gentle with it. It would probably be best to try and soften the plaque and tartar first with other products before using anything like that. He's eating fine but it's just when I try and brush or go near that area, he pulls away but I have done a lot of research and I will email the vet for advice and explain the situation. I will! Thank you!

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
My cat eats Royal Canin Dental. I buy it at my vets office. It’s a dry food. She does not have any plaque build up.
That's good! Has she ever experienced any plaque or tartar build-up in the past or has she never had any at all? Is there anything else you do or use? Thank you!

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
My vet explained to me that in cats the teeth actually have to be scraped up under the gums and this has to be done under anesthesia because it is painful (I had asked if we could get a dental on Ellie with just mild sedation)

I know, I have read that so I am going to email the vet and see what they think and explain the situation. Is there not anything you can get that would make its way under the gums and clean whatever is there? Thank you!

Sheldon13

Staff member
I know, I have read that so I am going to email the vet and see what they think and explain the situation. Is there not anything you can get that would make its way under the gums and clean whatever is there? Thank you!

Sure, you could get the instruments. But it would be so painful to the cat they would not cooperate. I wouldn’t want to put a kitty through that in any case. I do understand your hesitation though.

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
Sure, you could get the instruments. But it would be so painful to the cat they would not cooperate. I wouldn’t want to put a kitty through that in any case. I do understand your hesitation though.

I agree. I was thinking of some powerful substance that has the ability to make its way under the gums and clean it. If the bacteria or plaque and tartar build-up made its way there to begin with. Thank you for your reply!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If there is already plaque buildup it's better to get teeth cleaned by a vet first and then begin with the regular dental regimen.

My boy, Max, has the worst teeth and I have to get his teeth cleaned every 8 months.

Also, be careful with scalers. I talked to my vet about this and he also mentioned this could do more harm than good and that a veterinary cleaning is better. Yes, I know he's a vet and wants his money, but I trust my vet implicitly as he never makes recommendations just to pad his wallet.

Good luck!

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
If there is already plaque buildup it's better to get teeth cleaned by a vet first and then begin with the regular dental regimen.

My boy, Max, has the worst teeth and I have to get his teeth cleaned every 8 months.

Also, be careful with scalers. I talked to my vet about this and he also mentioned this could do more harm than good and that a veterinary cleaning is better. Yes, I know he's a vet and wants his money, but I trust my vet implicitly as he never makes recommendations just to pad his wallet.

Good luck!
I emailed the vet a few times for advice to see what they think and they did not respond. I could try and email them again or ring them and see what they say. Bless your lovely Max! Does he let you brush his teeth? What do you use to brush and or clean his teeth with? I definitely know! I'm very wary about things and would never do or use anything that could cause that. Thank you and thank you for letting me know!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@oilyanimalhuman -- If you have the vet dental performed, tell them "absolutely no ketamine" to put your baby under.

I use the following:

But I am also getting Max used to Oratene -- mentioned by @Yoda mom .

It's not his favourite activity, but I've learned to wedge him between my knees on the floor and do the deed. ha ha.

Keep us posted.

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
@oilyanimalhuman -- If you have the vet dental performed, tell them "absolutely no ketamine" to put your baby under.

I use the following:

But I am also getting Max used to Oratene -- mentioned by @Yoda mom .

It's not his favourite activity, but I've learned to wedge him between my knees on the floor and do the deed. ha ha.

Keep us posted.

I will! Thank you! How often do you brush? Do you get toothpaste with that toothbrush? I am using the Oratene also and I'm sure it's helping his gums and helping with the redness. You could try and wrap him up in a blanket with the Oratene on hand and see if he tolerates that better. I will! Keep us updated on your lovely Max and his teeth! It would be nice if he didn't have to get his teeth professionally cleaned every 8 months. Just keep using the Oratene and trying different products to see which makes a difference and helps. And of course brushing!

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Xandria Did your vet mention what exactly was harmful about them (besides the obvious cutting the gums if you aren't careful)? I ordered one myself and it arrived in the mail today after I read so many reviews and seen the before/after pictures. I plan to use it for the boys back teeth as there's definitely some tartar build up, even with the bones they chomp on with chicken necks ect. Of course only if they allow me to do so, I couldn't imagine using one of those on a wiggly kitty.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Bailey21 -- Just that it was too easy to cause harm with the tools. I was supremely disappointed because I love all things medical and thought I could be careful. I decided against it as I have issues with my hands and realized I wouldn't be as steady as I wanted to be. And just... well... I became fearful of harming.

You could always just try and see what happend. hugs.

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
@Xandria Did your vet mention what exactly was harmful about them (besides the obvious cutting the gums if you aren't careful)? I ordered one myself and it arrived in the mail today after I read so many reviews and seen the before/after pictures. I plan to use it for the boys back teeth as there's definitely some tartar build up, even with the bones they chomp on with chicken necks ect. Of course only if they allow me to do so, I couldn't imagine using one of those on a wiggly kitty.
I would try and soften the plaque and tartar build-up first with a gel or toothpaste and brushing frequently for a while and then you could try carefully and gently scrape the plaque and tartar build-up if it's tolerated. Let me know if you decide to do it and if it's effective! Good luck!

Back