Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Plaque and tartar buildup with red, sensitive inflamed gums.

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
Hi, is there any safe, natural dental chews that can be used to treat plaque and tartar build-up and even red, sensitive inflamed gums where the plaque and tartar build-up is? Or any gels that will sooth the red, sensitive inflamed gums? Should I try and brush where the tartar and plaque is to try and remove it? Or just leave it as it seems sensitive there and could hurt? Any information, advice or suggestions would be great to try at home before going to the vet! Thank you!

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
I was just at my vets office and he said to brush it everyday. I use c.et. Virbac paste and brush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi! Brush the plaque and tartar build-up every day? Even if the gums are red and sensitive? Will it not hurt or further irritate the teeth and gums? Let me know please! Thank you!

Kristen G

Lairian
Yes everyday. I was doing it once a week but the vet said my boy has some tartar and mild gingivitis in the back and he said it can be salvaged if i increase brushing to everyday. The paste also has something in it that is good for gums

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
I would also recommend brushing. I brush my cats teeth every Saturday. The plaque is more noticeable in the top very back teeth! I use the same toothpaste as mentioned above.
Hi! Yes it's at the back, top teeth. The gums near there seem red and inflamed though so I tend to not brush there but quickly put some toothpaste on there as he pulls away when I go near there. Will it not hurt his gums and teeth if I brush there? Is there any gels I can put on the gums to soothe them? Thank you!

Kristen G

Lairian
My boys gums are red there too n he said its mild gingivitis and brushing there is ok. Im not sure of gels. Chewy has some but i have not tried them

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
Yes everyday. I was doing it once a week but the vet said my boy has some tartar and mild gingivitis in the back and he said it can be salvaged if i increase brushing to everyday. The paste also has something in it that is good for gums

He seems to pull away every time I go near his gums and teeth there at the top back. Was your cats teeth sensitive and inflamed there also? I just don't want to further hurt or irritate them. Is there anything else the vet told you to do or gave you? Is there any gel I can use to soothe his gums? Have you noticed it getting better since brushing every day or did you just go to the vet today? Thank you!

Kristen G

Lairian
I just went on sat. Brushed it twice since then and he didnt seem bothered. Brushing should eventually lessen the redness because itll help the issue. I think my boy also doesnt mind bc the paste is poultry flavor and he loves it

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
My boys gums are red there too n he said its mild gingivitis and brushing there is ok. Im not sure of gels. Chewy has some but i have not tried them

Do they seem to hurt whenever you touched or went near them? I will try brushing there and buy some other toothpaste for plaque and tartar. Thank you for your advice! Let me know how you get on with your brushing!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@oilyanimalhuman you can ask your vet if they carry a products and would it be indicated for use.

"Healthy Mouth" sold at some vets offices US and online. ask if it would be beneficial( water additive )?

Oratene Antiseptic gel
Oratene Maintenance gel

1579530998665.png

1579531141825.png

keep us updated
hugs n head smooches

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
@oilyanimalhuman you can ask your vet if they carry a products and would it be indicated for use.

"Healthy Mouth" sold at some vets offices US and online. ask if it would be beneficial( water additive )?

Oratene Antiseptic gel
Oratene Maintenance gel

View attachment 97378

View attachment 97379

keep us updated
hugs n head smooches
I will look into those! I am going to email the vet and see what they think as well. Thank you! X

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Just reading reviews on the little tool scaler thingy, I want to order one myself! Looks like it works amazing if you're careful with it.

Sheldon13

Staff member
No substitute for a good brushing! We use the C.E.T. Cat toothbrush here. Nice and small and her favorite toothpaste flavor is malted. (Yuck lol )

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Lizanne

Lairian
Did you get a very check to make sure your baby doesn't have Stomatitis. My poor baby has it. Eventually he will have no teeth. All's I can say is Thank God I have insurance that covers dental..

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
@oilyanimalhuman always best to check with your vet before using products/ tools and follow their recommendations.
i have seen those dental tools but I think it best to check with your vet... don't want to hurt anything

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
No substitute for a good brushing! We use the C.E.T. Cat toothbrush here. Nice and small and her favorite toothpaste flavor is malted. (Yuck lol )

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need
Definitely! It's just I can't seem to brush the bit where there's tartar build-up and red, irritated sensitive gums as it seems to be sensitive there and he pulls away. So I am trying to find plaque powder or dental chews to try and get rid of it so then I can try and scrape it away. If I can try and treat it at home as he does not like the vet and I don't feel comfortable with him being on anaesthetic. I could take him just to see what they say and ask them if I can try and treat it at home.

Back