Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Playing swat/hissing - opinions l

tuffysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We are having a debate in my house. Toni, Foxy and Biscuit swat at each other. Toni hides in a box and when someone comes past she swats them. One of others bats the a ball near opening of the box then takes the opportunity to swat Toni in the box. There is no hissing or other vocalization. Sometimes it involves running after each other to retaliate. The husband say this is nice kitty play. I’m not so sure…opinions?

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think they are just playing. But I only have one cat so I have not had the opportunity to watch her play with other kitties.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Try to get it on video…but from my experience we have had swatting, trampling, down right run after one another over the years. The boys some times all out fight…we have to break it up and a little while later they are snuggled up like best buddies.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@tuffysmommy, awh, agree if you can share a video. my crew does the same for years. I let them cat play until I see it getting too rough then I give a stern ah! enough! usually to TobyLove . I stop immediately if I see to rough and try to avoid eye scratches. lots of times they will raise paw and do head bops run and chase. if I see flat out kicking or biting, it's a game over ah! and redirect with pole toys. hugs n head smooches!

tuffysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Nope. Never a cat fight between Toni and the others. Sisters get into it rarely when they irritate each other but nothing crazy. Hind legs growling. Then they run out and it’s over.

tuffysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I was just told growling is the tipping point. We have none of that with Toni. Someone keeps walking over someone this weekend.
IMG_2565.jpeg

tuffysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Toni just wants to play. It is a few days shy of 6 months that we've all been together and she changes so often these days. She is enjoying sneaking up on your moving foot, anything under a blanket, anything that dangles and your tail if you have one. She will sneak up, creep, crouch and then pounce. Sometimes the others swat back, sometimes there is a hiss and it amounts to nothing and when there is a instance where Toni goes bolting out of the room, it appears it is not a game. So there are boundaries to be set. Even I jump up when I turn over and my moving foot becomes prey. There is no real rough housing or biting or growling so I guess all is good. Sometimes mid swatting Toni just wears out and gets under the covers and goes to sleep. I have yet to find the perfect toy to engage everyone at the same time. Sometimes we all sleep together peacefully. Quite honestly, Foxy and Biscuit will now and again get on each other's nerves and have a short version of a cat fight. And so we are all evolving....

Yoda mom

Staff member
@tuffysmommy , awh... I can just see the silly antics and games. I use two bird pole toys like the Dabird (one piece pole version, got online and at petsupermarket) and play simutaneously. then I have to hide the dabirds in a closest or they will chew on the strings. (note**sometimes they get feet tangled when we play so I drop it and they walk out of it.).

I have some cheap dollar store pole toys one in each hand and play with them.

surely members with mulitple kitties with chime in.

I know a good ole paper bag with hole cut out of the corner is great for my crew to play together. I toss a little toy or crinkle ball in the bag. same thing with my chewy boxes! they rough em up playing together, then I can just toss the bags/box and get a new one

hugs n head smooches! you a great mum!!!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@tuffysmommy , love!! it's one of my fav things I love seeing when my crew sleeps with the paw out to show those toe beans! now I always see those toes as little teddy bears lol. hugs n head smooches.
teddy bear toe beans.jpeg

Back