Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Playing too rough???

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So Nudie & Skinderella were playing great this morning then napped for hours. When they woke up thay ate and began to play again. This time though Nudie kept pouncing on her and appeared to bite her neck. Of course I stopped her right away and there weren't any marks- she kept doing this over and over. Should I be concerned or is this just the way they play? I've never had 2 cats before and my dogs do something similar that looks bad but they are just mouthing. Just want your opinions on this...

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
That's the way they play.
If someone gets overly aggressive you will hear it from both. And it shows pretty well if you watch them if it starts to get serious.

Keep claws well trimmed to minimize scratching :) Some will occure anyway.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Its all fun and games till someone pokes an eye out! LOL

Nofuratu always goes straight for Vampir's (the hairy cat) neck when they wrestle.

You will hear screaming/yowling when its going too far and you have to let them hurt eachother once or twice, so when they bite too hard they learn that it was too hard from the other cat's reaction...dont worry!

TotenEngel

Banned
I generally let mine play as rough as they like until the yowling starts, then i tend to break it up!
I was terrified when we first got Smeagol and he was up against 7kg Lazarus, but it always looked worse than it was!
Simpkin earlier nearly had Smeagols entire head in his mouth, but Smeagol was giving as good as he got! lol
who needs TV when you have kittens????

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi Everyone! This worried me as well when I got my second Sphynx. My breeder told me once it gets a bit wild, just to break it up, but not to separate them (such as in another room). This seems to do the trick. As usual, the Ragdolls just watch with interest!

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oh the yowling from Gulliver, he cry's when someone picks him up, so you can imagine how he get's when they play, you'd think the world was coming to an end. Then I break it up, take a look and, go figure, no one is hurt a bit! Gulliver is such a cry baby, and then when Sir Francis Bacon runs away Gulliver follows him looking for more... I just don't understand boys :LOL:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Its all fun and games till someone pokes an eye out! LOL

Nofuratu always goes straight for Vampir's (the hairy cat) neck when they wrestle.

You will hear screaming/yowling when its going too far and you have to let them hurt eachother once or twice, so when they bite too hard they learn that it was too hard from the other cat's reaction...dont worry!

Sounds like me and my twin brother growing up.

britty3189

Lairian
Oh, my kitties love to play.

My baby kitty Wiki(I call him this because he acts like a baby) is actually the "bully" in our house. He's not overly aggressive or mean or anything, but he expects Kiki to play when he wants him to. Wiki doesn't accept no for an answer from Kiki.

Wiki can dish it out, but he sure can't take it. Kiki is very patient and tolerant of Wiki. I think he understands that Wiki is different and slow, and is really great with him. But once in a while he gives Wiki a taste of his own medicine!

Wiki gets irritated when Kiki tries to play with him when he doesn't want to, so he'll start growling, meowing, yowling, whatever. He's noisy when he's cranky.

When my husband hears them (when in reality it's only Wiki) getting loud he gets very paranoid and tries to stop them. I don't worry about it, but I've spent much more time with the kitties than he has, since he was deployed for a year right after we got them, and just got back in April. I know it's not going to get out of hand, because Kiki just irritates him a little bit, then goes and leaves him alone. I tell my husband all the time "babe, you've just got to let them sort it out. It's like you with your siblings when you guys were younger. You beat on each other ALLLL the time, and you're all fine. None of you tried to kill each other. Trust me, you'll KNOW if it gets out of hand."

Gizzymom

Banned
Oh, my kitties love to play.

My baby kitty Wiki(I call him this because he acts like a baby) is actually the "bully" in our house. He's not overly aggressive or mean or anything, but he expects Kiki to play when he wants him to. Wiki doesn't accept no for an answer from Kiki.

Wiki can dish it out, but he sure can't take it. Kiki is very patient and tolerant of Wiki. I think he understands that Wiki is different and slow, and is really great with him. But once in a while he gives Wiki a taste of his own medicine!

Wiki gets irritated when Kiki tries to play with him when he doesn't want to, so he'll start growling, meowing, yowling, whatever. He's noisy when he's cranky.

When my husband hears them (when in reality it's only Wiki) getting loud he gets very paranoid and tries to stop them. I don't worry about it, but I've spent much more time with the kitties than he has, since he was deployed for a year right after we got them, and just got back in April. I know it's not going to get out of hand, because Kiki just irritates him a little bit, then goes and leaves him alone. I tell my husband all the time "babe, you've just got to let them sort it out. It's like you with your siblings when you guys were younger. You beat on each other ALLLL the time, and you're all fine. None of you tried to kill each other. Trust me, you'll KNOW if it gets out of hand."

Please tell your hubby thanks for his service. :Wink:

Back