Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Please check out if this is a scam!

holly_savage

Banned
Do these pics look familiar to anyone out there...cause they look familiar to me...but I can't remember where I saw them...

This person is selling them on Kijiji.ca and she finally emailed me back (see below)

Quote...
Hi,
Thanks for the mail in regards for my Kittens i have for adoption.i am really looking for a good home for them.They are still available to anyone prepared to provide them with enough care and love,where they will be well spoil with all they need.They have a very good temperament with kids and other pets,very playful love to play around with toys and kids,they are health guarantee and registered,vet checked.they are up to date on all their shots and will be coming along side with their health papers and vet records including a hand booklet on how to deal with these kind of Kittens that is if you don't know how to stay with them yet.TICA registered. We offer a 1 yr. genetic health guarantee..I will like to ask you a few questions if you don't mind.
where are you located.................?
are you a breeder...................................?
Are you Married......................................?
do you have other pets....................?
when will you like to have the Kittens....?
Are you sure bringing the Kitten home will not be a problem with your finance?
I will like to know if everybody in your house like the idea of adopting these Kittens?
Will you take them to a good vet so that they will be properly taken good care of?
Would it be possible you send me monthly pictures so i can know how these kittens are doing in their new home.....?
let me know if you want a male or a female puppy or do you Both??The Male is Called King and the Females Are Called Bella and Neolla.I am a very straight forward person and i like my things to be done in the open so that people can see and know the truth about me so, i want you to know that this adoption thing means a great deal to me.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 22
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 23
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 22
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 21
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 23
J

Jinxlover

Do these pics look familiar to anyone out there...cause they look familiar to me...but I can't remember where I saw them...

This person is selling them on Kijiji.ca and she finally emailed me back (see below)

Quote...
Hi,
Thanks for the mail in regards for my Kittens i have for adoption.i am really looking for a good home for them.They are still available to anyone prepared to provide them with enough care and love,where they will be well spoil with all they need.They have a very good temperament with kids and other pets,very playful love to play around with toys and kids,they are health guarantee and registered,vet checked.they are up to date on all their shots and will be coming along side with their health papers and vet records including a hand booklet on how to deal with these kind of Kittens that is if you don't know how to stay with them yet.TICA registered. We offer a 1 yr. genetic health guarantee..I will like to ask you a few questions if you don't mind.
where are you located.................?
are you a breeder...................................?
Are you Married......................................?
do you have other pets....................?
when will you like to have the Kittens....?
Are you sure bringing the Kitten home will not be a problem with your finance?
I will like to know if everybody in your house like the idea of adopting these Kittens?
Will you take them to a good vet so that they will be properly taken good care of?
Would it be possible you send me monthly pictures so i can know how these kittens are doing in their new home.....?
let me know if you want a male or a female puppy or do you Both??The Male is Called King and the Females Are Called Bella and Neolla.I am a very straight forward person and i like my things to be done in the open so that people can see and know the truth about me so, i want you to know that this adoption thing means a great deal to me.

I dont know about a scam.. Maybe just someone that is not a "great breeder". Are they close so you could go see them before you give any money??

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Little weird that she called them puppies at the end? Is she asking an adoption fee? It sounds like she wants to just give them away, if so what is the scam? I don't get it, but the whole thing sounds very very strange

TheFlork

Lairian
pupies? haha just make sure they don't want you to western union money to them. Tell them you want a new picture of the one you want with a post it note with the date on it. If they cant provide that, then they probably cant provide you with a cat ether.

TheFlork

Lairian
Little weird that she called them puppies at the end? Is she asking an adoption fee? It sounds like she wants to just give them away, if so what is the scam? I don't get it, but the whole thing sounds very very strange

the scam comes when they want you to wire them money just for the shipping and then no cat comes. or they will say pay half the shipping now and half when it arrives. Sounds fair, but they just ripped you off for 150 bucks.

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
They look like the same pics from a breeder that had her pics copied. I am pretty sure this is a scam. I would be very careful and ask more questions!! Do not send money till she answers more!

J

Jinxlover

Tell them you want a new picture of the one you want with a post it note with the date on it. If they cant provide that, then they probably cant provide you with a cat ether.

I agree with that.. No new pic..No money..If it's not a scam they should have no issues with doing that for you..:ThumbsUp:

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian
No offense intended, but I don't think English is their first language. This could account for the strange wording and the "puppy" comment. Terrible to say, but I'm cautious of anything that sounds foreign, just because so many scams seem to originate outside the country. Uh, not that the US doesn't have it's fair share of idiots.

In one breath, they taut the kittens as wonderful with children and other pets. Then they ask you if you have other pets. Most breeders ask the question first and wait for your response before letting you know if they are accustomed to dogs or kids or whatever. They ask a lot of good questions that makes me think they could be legit and concerned about placement...then again, they could have ripped that from a good breeder's website.

I noticed they asked if you were MARRIED but not if you have children. That's a little strange too. I've had breeders ask me to describe my home life or the members of my household, but not outright ask if there was a husband hanging around. I guess the reason this question bothers me is because there are foreign scammers out there who prey on single women...it happened to the daughter of a lady I used to work with.

Have they offered the selling price?
Most people will just set a price and figure if you are asking and placing a deposit or whatever then you are able to be financially responsible. This person is ASKING you if your finances will accommodate the purchase. Again, maybe it's just their way of making sure they aren't wasting time with a buyer who can't follow through or a placement that can't afford proper vet care.

I dunno...there are some positives but there are some creepy vibes too.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree there are many red flags there.
My friend will sell you a kitten.
The friend I told you about.

holly_savage

Banned
well in all honesty I was just inquiring, I already have my name on a waiting list for later this summer, but just thought I'd check it out...

I think I will email back and answer their questions and get some more info, because if it is a scam, I will call the police or better business bureau and report it.

This kind of stuff has to stop!

Oh and I have attached the pic they had posted on the add, and just as I thought...not even close to the same kittens!

Attachments

• h.jpg
    h.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 21

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
well in all honesty I was just inquiring, I already have my name on a waiting list for later this summer, but just thought I'd check it out...

I think I will email back and answer their questions and get some more info, because if it is a scam, I will call the police or better business bureau and report it.

This kind of stuff has to stop!

Oh and I have attached the pic they had posted on the add, and just as I thought...not even close to the same kittens!

You are on waiting list with this person? So are you close enough to visit? Ask for her name and the cattery name and google it. Can you pm me some info and I will see what I can dig up?

holly_savage

Banned
You are on waiting list with this person? So are you close enough to visit? Ask for her name and the cattery name and google it. Can you pm me some info and I will see what I can dig up?

not on waiting list with this person, with another cattery, but was just checking things out with this add...you never know, maybe I'd get a another one...lol

ckutkuhn7

Banned
The second photo is defintley not the same kittens as your first post! I'd be very careful. Goodluck!

Nair Bare

Lairian
Personally I would strive to obtain my new pet from a breeder I have developed a relationship with. There needs to be a "history" with that individual so that the lines of communication are always open. There will be plenty of kittens for you, from well established breeders, so please don't get in a hurry to grab the first one you stumble upon. You need to establish some lines of communications and introduce yourself to many breeders who are recommended by their peers. Once you find a breeder of quality, your perfectly matched kitten should not be that far away. Perhaps they have a waiting list, but having the ability to rely on the expertise of your breeder is worth a wait.

Strangers will not have much to do with you, once your check has cleared the bank.

Besides, nothing is more important in raising your critter, than having the years of expertise from your breeder, to call upon if needed. This type of "homework" may save you years of problems and grief.

Last edited:

holly_savage

Banned
I checked with a breeder friend, and yes some of the pics were stolen from her and have been used in a few scam attempts...
I am still playing along to see how far she'll go.

I am feeling a little sleuth-like today!

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I checked with a breeder friend, and yes some of the pics were stolen from her and have been used in a few scam attempts...
I am still playing along to see how far she'll go.

I am feeling a little sleuth-like today!

I love a good mystery, let us know how it plays out! Creepy vibes indeed!

holly_savage

Banned
I have reported the ad to the website people...

here was her last response...after I answered all the questiones she asked of me...

Hello,
Attached are Pics of Neolla.She is a very beautiful and adorable.She has been Littered trained.Right now am located in the US,so if you are interested in adopting Neolla then i will have to get her shipped over to you from the US and all what you will be paying is her transportation fees in order for her to be shipped from USA to Canada.!!!
I want to assure you that am going to make sure Neolla is shipped and delivered to you right at your home safely,so don't be scared she will arrive your home in Good Health conditions.If your Interested in adopting her let me know asap so that i can proceed with her shipping arrangements.
Thanks
Have a great day
Bye

the attached pics were 5 more of the same kitten on green background, and they do belong to a breeder, and were stolen from her...I checked that out.

ANyhow, I responded to this email asking her where in the US because I like to take road trips and would love to pick her up in person...funny enough, I haven't heard back yet!

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
ANyhow, I responded to this email asking her where in the US because I like to take road trips and would love to pick her up in person...funny enough, I haven't heard back yet!

:LOL::LOL: Good for you!! I wonder if she will give you a phone number? :LOL:
I have emailed this person too so I will see how far she will go with me as well! Man the nerve of some people!!!:Angry::Angry:

susi794

Staff member
That green background looks like Dez's background from Beeblebrox.

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I just got a reply from this person and guess what? Its the same exact message to the "T"!!I sent a reply asking to visit to pick one out and if they had a phone number to call! We will see if I get a response!!