Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Please Help. I think she is going to die!

JamesJ

Lairian
We purchased a second kitten about 3 weeks ago.

Anyway, we went out for the night and came back yesterday and we noticed the kitten was chocking, as if she was coughing up a fur ball (even though they don't have fur). I've seen this with our oldest, but it passed as he got older.

Today, the kitten is not eating food and she is really struggling to breath. I am really scared. She was skinny when we got her (could see her spine) and she has not put on weight even though the breeder assured us she is fine and had a vet check up before she left.

I cannot get hold of any vets with it being bank holiday and no emergency calls at my area. And if things don't get any worse I don't get paid till next week so any vet bill can't be paid until then and I'm worried that they wont see her. Pet insurance can't be claimed until after 4 weeks eithers.

We have the PDSA about 10 minutes away, but I am so scared to leave her overnight.

I am not sure if she's eaten something she shouldn't have whilst we was out, or it's an infection.

I know there is not a lot people can do, but I don't know what to do it. It's 10.30pm.

DoctorSpock

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm so sorry to hear this! I would take her to the emergency vet hospital right away! They'll make arrangements for you on how to pay... JUST GO NOW!

Gryffindor

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm sorry that I can't offer any help beyond seeking professional help. I can't see any vet turning away an animal in need. Most vets will allow for payment plans or at least some sort of credit application for care with a third-party carrier that they support. I wish you the best of luck with your baby. Are there any other symptoms? Is the kitten vomiting...does it have any nasal discharge....runny eyes, etc?? With the more information that you can provide, maybe someone can give some valuable advice.

JamesJ

Lairian
I'm so sorry to hear this! I would take her to the emergency vet hospital right away! They'll make arrangements for you on how to pay... JUST GO NOW!

I've just called them, it was this one: Emergencies - Hillman Vets

They want £190 up front just for the consultation and whatever else afterwards. I explained I don't have that money this late at night. She told me to search the internet, but said there wasn't any emergency vets in the area, they are the only ones.

JamesJ

Lairian
I'm sorry that I can't offer any help beyond seeking professional help. I can't see any vet turning away an animal in need. Most vets will allow for payment plans or at least some sort of credit application for care with a third-party carrier that they support. I wish you the best of luck with your baby. Are there any other symptoms? Is the kitten vomiting...does it have any nasal discharge....runny eyes, etc?? With the more information that you can provide, maybe someone can give some valuable advice.

The emergency number I called want cash up front. I don't know what to do. I can get her seen tomorrow via the PDSA, but it's a risk.

There are no other symptoms. She was making a choking sound every time she purred, or bent her head forward. She is struggling to breath so much that she cant even choke.

She has been sleeping most the day. She had a bit of milk and a tiny bit of food.

Gryffindor

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Can you contact the breeder? Maybe he or she can offer some insight or at least point you in some sort of direction if local.

Gryffindor

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If choking is the only symptom, it would seem that something may be lodged in the throat. Can you open up the mouth and see anything? I don't know how big the kitten is, so it may be difficult if too small.

Maua_Peterbald

Lairian
She could have ingested something that might be stuck now. Vomiting could help in that case. Did you try to feel delicately with your fingers if there isn`t anything odd ?
No food and drink may be really dangerous for a kitten so emergency is really needed. Maybe some of your friends know a vet or a vet tech that could help?
I keep my fingers crossed for you !

DoctorSpock

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
to ease her breathing, you could take her into the bathroom and run a hot shower to steam the room and put her bed in there. This will help her breathe a little better until you can get her to a vet in the morning. She really needs to see one ASAP!

susi794

Staff member
You need to take her to an emergency vet NOW. A kitten can't go 24 hours without eating without damaging something. And if she is having difficulty breathing on top of that, she is most likely in significant distress. How old is she? She shouldn't have come to you skinny either. She should've been a little on the chubby order. Has she been gaining weight? If she has a upper respiratory infection qnd it isn't treated it can go to pneumonia quickly. Please seek professional help as soon as possible.
Good luck...I pray she makes it.
Please keep us posted.

Gryffindor

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Although I advise to try and seek professional help first, here's some reference materials to use in an emergency, if you have no other choice...

Cat Gagging or Choking: CPR, Heimlich, Emergency Treatment

This is of course in a dire situation and if there is indeed something lodged in there. If you can't see anything in there and the kitten is breathing, just try and make her comfortable and as stress free as possible until you can get some professional help ASAP. Best of luck...Keeping fingers crossed!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sillysphynx24

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I agree with everyone else. She needs to be seen soon. You can try to apply for care credit online and see if your approved. Most emergency places take it as a form of payment. CareCredit Healthcare Finance - Payment Plans and Financing for Cosmetic Surgery, Dental, Vision, Hearing, Veterinary & Other Medical Procedures Also if she came to you thin and isnt gaining weight and is fairly young, I would be concerned that she could have FIP. It can cause a fluid to build up in the lungs or abd and cause difficulty breathing without signs or symptoms of an URI. It usually isnt cureable. I am so sorry to hear about your baby. I wish you the best of luck!

JamesJ

Lairian
This is fustrating.

I live in Walsall West Midlands. There is only 1 24 hour place open and they want cash up front. They said I'm looking up to £500. They do not offer anything else.

I wrapped her in a towel and started tapping her pack. This was making her breathing near impossible and she was gagging, which is making me believe something is lodged in there.

I had insurance, but it's not valid until after 4 weeks. I can't make a claim on it.

I find it hard to believe there are thousands of animals in my town, yet the vets are not able to set up a payment plan for a cat that I believe will die. The vet knows full well there is no other 24 hour vets in or around the area. I'd take in my £2000 apple mac if they would accept it until I pay them. But they won't :(

I am going to put her in a steaming bathroom and tap her back gently.

Sillysphynx24

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
No possibility that she ate anything like string? Sometimes u can flip up their tongue and see it wrapped around the base. If she did though, do NOT pull on it or cut it because it can cut through the intestines. If she has fluid in her lungs the patting can also be making her feel like she is drowning. Are her gums pink or pale/white? And when u push on the gums, how many seconds does it take for the color to come back? Also you may try getting a digital thermometer and putting some kind of lubricant on it and getting a rectal temp on her. her temp should be 100-102.5 degrees F

JamesJ

Lairian
No possibility that she ate anything like string? Sometimes u can flip up their tongue and see it wrapped around the base. If she did though, do NOT pull on it or cut it because it can cut through the intestines. If she has fluid in her lungs the patting can also be making her feel like she is drowning. Are her gums pink or pale/white? And when u push on the gums, how many seconds does it take for the color to come back? Also you may try getting a digital thermometer and putting some kind of lubricant on it and getting a rectal temp on her. her temp should be 100-102.5 degrees F

No she could not have ate string.

Her gums seem a little white. Compared to the older cat there is a differnece in color.

We have just had serious flu, lasted 7 days, and I still have it. I am not sure if the cat can catch human germs and vice versa. I have read about fluid on the lungs.

She still follows the moths with her head, and still has movement and strength. She does not look ill, or act it, apart from she's been asleep most the day. Even the older cat has not bothered to fight her.

Sillysphynx24

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If she is looking pale she may be anemic, which can also make her a little lethargic. Do you know if she has ever been de wormed? Also since youve had her does she ever vomit or have any diarrhea? And how old is she?

JamesJ

Lairian
I agree with everyone else. She needs to be seen soon. You can try to apply for care credit online and see if your approved. Most emergency places take it as a form of payment. CareCredit Healthcare Finance - Payment Plans and Financing for Cosmetic Surgery, Dental, Vision, Hearing, Veterinary & Other Medical Procedures Also if she came to you thin and isnt gaining weight and is fairly young, I would be concerned that she could have FIP. It can cause a fluid to build up in the lungs or abd and cause difficulty breathing without signs or symptoms of an URI. It usually isnt cureable. I am so sorry to hear about your baby. I wish you the best of luck!

HOLY SH** I am certain it's FIP. What made me open my eyes is the enlarged lymph nodes. She had a lump on her shoulder that we thought was a part of her shoulder/spine but because she was thin it's something that was normal.

Today the node is decreased in size, although still there.

I knew there was something wrong when she looked thin but he assured me it was fine.

Does this mean my other cat could have it? He does sneeze and discharge when sneezing and has also displayed this gagging, although he hasnt done it in over a week.

I am gobsmacked right now. All these signs are point to this.

Sillysphynx24

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I would think that is you are feeling a lump on the shoulder blade area it is probably do to a vaccine reaction, not a lymph node. The lymph nodes that you should be able to feel are by the salavary glands, a bit lower than that as well, behind the arms (armpit area), in the groin area and behind the knee caps. if any are inlarged it can mean alot of things. I dont think they really know the true cause of FIP its a corona virus that mutates, your other cat may just have a form of a URI. FIP is usually something seen in catteries, but sometimes only 1 cat will get it. I hope your little one makes it long enough to be seen. That way they can at least ease your mind on your other cat.

JamesJ

Lairian
I would think that is you are feeling a lump on the shoulder blade area it is probably do to a vaccine reaction, not a lymph node. The lymph nodes that you should be able to feel are by the salavary glands, a bit lower than that as well, behind the arms (armpit area), in the groin area and behind the knee caps. if any are inlarged it can mean alot of things. I dont think they really know the true cause of FIP its a corona virus that mutates, your other cat may just have a form of a URI. FIP is usually something seen in catteries, but sometimes only 1 cat will get it. I hope your little one makes it long enough to be seen. That way they can at least ease your mind on your other cat.

She seems to be moving herself about easily enough. She is under my jumper keeping warm.

Fingers crossed. Thanks for the help Sillysphynx24. I will be up early to take her to the vets.

susi794

Staff member
If your older cat has a URI, chances are your little one most likely has one too.....don't jump to conclusions about the FIP. You keep not answering how old this kit is.....is it very, very young? Trying to keep it in a steamy bathroom, might help, but you need to get her to the vet as soon as you possibly can.
I hope she makes it. Will be praying for her.....
Hang in there,
Susi and the gang

JamesJ

Lairian
If your older cat has a URI, chances are your little one most likely has one too.....don't jump to conclusions about the FIP. You keep not answering how old this kit is.....is it very, very young? Trying to keep it in a steamy bathroom, might help, but you need to get her to the vet as soon as you possibly can.
I hope she makes it. Will be praying for her.....
Hang in there,
Susi and the gang

Sorry, my head is all over the place at the moment.

She was sold at 6 weeks, we've had her just under 4. So around 10 weeks.

susi794

Staff member
Oh my God! That is way too young to leave her mama. Sphynx kittens need the extra immunity they get from their mothers during this time.....I don't let mine go to their new homes until they are 14 weeks old. That means they have nursed for a full two months longer than your little one. Is this an experienced breeder you bought from?
Have you tried bottle feeding this kit with kitten replacement milk? Especially for one so young, eating is terribly important....is she doing any better?

Harry Spotter

Lairian
I am so sorry this happening to your sweet baby. I know you heard this from others, her her to the vet as soon as you can. I am praying for her and for you. Please keep us posted.

Back