Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

please help! is my baby kitten too fat? is something wrong with her?

ghostthesphynx

Lairian
shes been eating dry food for the first time mixed w the wet food she’s used to. could it be that?

sphynxmommy1

Lairian
Have you had her dewormed? This looks like the belly bloat that can happen if a kitten has worms. I would definitely take her in to let a vet examine her and see. Keep us posted, wishing you good luck.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Will be looking for updates. Don’t forget to take a poop sample. Glad you are seeing a vet today.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Good thing you'll see the vet today. Kittens tend to have a "pot belly" at moments after eating, like they swallowed a ballon. So maybe it's just that. Hope so!

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It does look wormy to me too.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Honestly she actually looks a little on the thin side to me (because the worms were eating her food). She could do with a little more nutrition to catch up!

ghostthesphynx

Lairian
thank you! do you know how long it will take the stomach swelling to go down now that she’s taken the first dose of the medication at the vet?

Honestly she actually looks a little on the thin side to me (because the worms were eating her food). She could do with a little more nutrition to catch up!

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Assuming it’s tapeworms they are usually gone within 24-72 hrs and you will notice her pooping them all out. It’s really gross actually lol. You need to redose in 3-4 weeks to kill any new eggs that hatch.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@ghostthesphynx continued positive vibes to Ghost, keep us updated

did vet say it was roundworms? I would wear gloves when scooping and cleaning litter box and wash hands often. most of us have had a kitten with worms at one point or another, be sure you follow up with the vet appointment to complete the treatment plan.

kudos to you for taking ghost to the vet for early intervention :)

Last edited:

ghostthesphynx

Lairian
I had to go to the pet ER because the vets near me were closed. unfortunately they said “we’ll never know if it was worms or not but we gave her the worm treatment and she should be ok just take her to the general vet in 2 weeks for another dose”. no idea what that means and how i’m supposed to know how to move forward without knowing the type of worms, but i’m going to see another vet in 2 weeks like they said. I have to get the transcript of what meds they gave her and maybe that will allude to the type of worms. unfortunately because of the corona virus situation it was a drive through vet set up so i wasn’t in the room to see what they were doing. still haven’t seen the belly swell go down yet but it’s only been around 24 hrs

@ghostthesphynx continued positive vibes to Ghost, keep us updated

did vet say it was roundworms? I would wear gloves when scooping and cleaning litter box and wash hands often. most of us have had a kitten with worms at one point or another, be sure you follow up with the vet appointment to complete the treatment plan.

kudos to you for taking ghost to the vet for early intervention :)

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
There are some other possibilities as a cause for the swelling. But the simplest and most likely is worms. It may take several days for the swelling to go all the way down. Just remember it is normal still for her to have a little bit of a belly after eating.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@ghostthesphynx , awww, ghost has the best of love and care. good idea getting the records to bring to your vet in 2 weeks. I know it's a tough time in the world. had to do drop off's too the past couple of weeks. you got this :) what a sweetie ! following closely for updates

ghostthesphynx

Lairian
this is what she looks like now. she feels a bit warm to the touch and her skin is extremely dry even when i use coconut oil. i’m probably worrying too much but i feel bad for her poor thing
There are some other possibilities as a cause for the swelling. But the simplest and most likely is worms. It may take several days for the swelling to go all the way down. Just remember it is normal still for her to have a little bit of a belly after eating.

Attachments

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Bless her heart she’s still so big. Is she pooping ok?

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Is she still eating, playing etc? If the belly does not seem to be going down yet, I would call your vet or get a second opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I agree. It’s strange to me they did not actually test for worms before diagnosing and treating.

ghostthesphynx

Lairian
size she is normally compared to the size of her belly bloat is scaring me. i’m worried it could be something else. but she is active and eating. pooping. etc.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I’d see if you can get a second opinion. I think many of us are stuck home and worrying along with you. No one likes to be an alarmist, did you check with your breeder as well? There are other possible belly bloat issues and you might question your vet about them.