Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

please help! is my baby kitten too fat? is something wrong with her?

Sheldon13

Staff member
Most kittens stop with the milk at 6-8 weeks. Usually breeders keep Sphynx kittens with mom and getting milk up to 12-14 weeks. So what I can say is she may not need it but it doesn’t hurt anything.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I've heard after about 8 weeks they don't need milk. It's mostly done before they get their teeth but once they have teeth they should be OK to eat regular food. Canned food is recommended for kittens. You probably already know they are bottomless pits.

I don't think you need pumpkin with this new food. Besides, for all we know she might be allergic to it, so I would leave pumpkin out of it and see how it goes.

I'm just concerned about the shape of her tummy and whether she has some issue going on because I've never seen food cause them to get like that - no matter how much they eat. I think you said you would take her to a vet and that's a very good idea. With kittens especially it's important to catch things early on. Good luck and let us know how it goes ok?

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@ghostthesphynx , hello hugs n head smooches.

just saw your earlier reply that she does not have any worms or parasites? was that from the latest vet visit? just confused I thought they were treating her for worms? and she was supposed to go back n 2 weeks? I would ask them to email you a copy of her report where they said she was clear of worms/parasites just to keep on file and make sure it was her report. wouldnt be the first time my previous vet personnel mixed up files. what did they say her belly was swollen from ?

I would definitely ask about getting an xray asap.
my vet tries to save me money by doing 1 or 2 views. I would get the xray first personally then go about ordering foods just in case she needs a special food/diet or other treatment

Last edited:

ghostthesphynx

Lairian
she was treated for worms without a stool sample but the second vet tested the sample and the results were negative for all parasites. he said she seems normal and it’s probably due to a digestion issue with the food. he said he doesn’t think it’s impaction and he didn’t want to do an x ray

@ghostthesphynx , hello hugs n head smooches.

just saw your earlier reply that she does not have any worms or parasites? was that from the latest vet visit? just confused I thought they were treating her for worms? and she was supposed to go back n 2 weeks? I would ask them to email you a copy of her report where they said she was clear of worms/parasites just to keep on file and make sure it was her report. wouldnt be the first time my previous vet personnel mixed up files. what did they say her belly was swollen from ?

I would definitely ask about getting an xray asap.
my vet tries to save me money by doing 1 or 2 views. I would get the xray first personally then go about ordering foods just in case she needs a special food/diet or other treatment

Yoda mom

Staff member
@ghostthesphynx , sometimes we see kitties newly brought home with Giardia? did the vet rule it out? just brainstorming.

can you take a pic of her tummy down and swollen? you are a good mum doing everything for baby ghost! all paws crossed
hugs n head smooches

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
when she doesn’t eat for a while (when we go to sleep etc), the swell goes down completely
Interesting. Hopefully the new food will work out a lot better for her.

I know they usually say you should transition to a new food gradually, but in this case since you suspect the food is the problem, just switch her all at once. Good luck - paws crossed here!

ghostthesphynx

Lairian
we tested for it and it came out negative. there are photos of the swell down and up again further up on this thread as well. i’ll try to upload some more when i get a chance too

@ghostthesphynx , sometimes we see kitties newly brought home with Giardia? did the vet rule it out? just brainstorming.

can you take a pic of her tummy down and swollen? you are a good mum doing everything for baby ghost! all paws crossed
hugs n head smooches

ghostthesphynx

Lairian
at first when i reached out the swelling wasn’t going down at all but it is now and since i switched to some beef food right away she is swollen a lot less of the time but still swollen sometimes. i do think it relates to the food somehow but not sure. I’m giving her beef because that’s all i could find that had no chicken at my local store but i ordered the rabbit one a member had recommended. should be here on monday

See that is useful information. Have you started her on the novel protein diet yet?

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

ghostthesphynx

Lairian
she’s a lot less swollen at night (i stay up late and sometimes don’t feed her as much in the late night/early morning hours). and when i wake up she’s a lot less swollen before the first meal. after i give her a meal she becomes swollen. (sorry if this is repetitive lol just trying to remember all the details)

Back