Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

please help! is my baby kitten too fat? is something wrong with her?

Sheldon13

Staff member
You can still poop with an impaction sometimes. It is usually liquid or very soft poop. There is something going on with this kitten. I font like that your vet doesn’t seem to be taking it seriously. That’s really disheartening.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

ghostthesphynx

Lairian
I agree. if the change of food doesn’t work i’m going to have to get a second opinion

You can still poop with an impaction sometimes. It is usually liquid or very soft poop. There is something going on with this kitten. I font like that your vet doesn’t seem to be taking it seriously. That’s really disheartening.

ghostthesphynx

Lairian
it’s strange how she’s showing no signs of pain or discomfort really though but clearly something is wrong here....just a puzzling situation and i’m definitely going to get a second opinion

ghostthesphynx

Lairian
her stomach is better!! i think she has a severe allergy to chicken which is all i was giving her before with occasional fish. i’m going to rotate in other meats now. i tried beef last night because that was all i could find at the store near me but i’m going to order some other meats and beef food online today. if anyone has kitten food recommendations please let me know. still going to schedule a vet appointment today for next week for her vaccines and a second opinion

Sheldon13

Staff member
That’s great! I’ve never seen an allergy do that but if different meat is what works then go for it!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@ghostthesphynx , are you feeding her a raw diet? or store bought? if you are feeding a raw /home diet you need to be sure she has the proper kitty nutrition. we have several food pros @Condo commando ,@Xandria to name a few.

I know several breeders feed royal canin baby cat.. positive healing vibes continue. keep us updated on this thread so we can follow along easily. I did see your post for a vet recommendation Los Angeles area , I tagged a few members in that thread, they have not been active lately but hopeful they can chime in. hugs n head smooches to baby ghost

ghostthesphynx

Lairian
store bought but i’m thinking i need to switch her to raw but i would consult a vet before doing that

@ghostthesphynx , are you feeding her a raw diet? or store bought? if you are feeding a raw /home diet you need to be sure she has the proper kitty nutrition. we have several food pros @Condo commando ,@Xandria to name a few.

I know several breeders feed royal canin baby cat.. positive healing vibes continue. keep us updated on this thread so we can follow along easily. I did see your post for a vet recommendation Los Angeles area , I tagged a few members in that thread, they have not been active lately but hopeful they can chime in. hugs n head smooches to baby ghost

ghostthesphynx

Lairian
i want to order royal canin but i can’t find any for kittens without chicken. anyone know if there’s another flavor and where i could purchase online? thanks

Yoda mom

Staff member
@ghostthesphynx , we have a bunch of members that raw feed, I am sure they are happy to help. I found my vet was not a big fan of raw when I had my bengal on raw. I ended up feeding "better in the Raw" BiTR , @Xandria has extensive knowledge about it too.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
store bought but i’m thinking i need to switch her to raw but i would consult a vet before doing that
Most vets recommend against raw. I would say you have to know what you're doing, especially if you make the food yourself. It's not something that you can wing or half you-know-what. But I've been feeding raw for 7 years and my vet is fine with me making raw food now. Like I said, you just have to know what you're doing.

I would try to get rid of worms before you switch to raw. Unless you suspect that it's the current food that's causing the worms, in which case I would get rid of it right away. But other than that I would try to deal with one thing at a time.

By the way, you don't "have" to get food that says it's for kittens. The premium brands only have one recipe, and it meets the nutritional requirements for all life stages. When a brand has separate kitten and adult recipes, it means the adult version doesn't meet the nutritional requirements for kittens. The food companies do it to keep the cost down, and because technically they aren't required to provide more than a certain level of nutrition for adult cats.

So if you want to eventually switch to raw, here are your options from most to least expensive:

1. Freeze dried raw - this is the most expensive option and it's just for convenience because you don't need freezer space.
2. Frozen, complete and balanced meals - 2nd most expensive; you need freezer space but the food is ready to serve.
3. Frozen, ground meat/bones/organs - this is a popular option because it requires only a small amount of elbow grease while saving a good bit of money. All you need to do is add a supplement.
4. Grind your own cuts - cheapest option but involves the most work and you must have a grinder.

For beginners I would recommend either #2 or #3. But if you don't have freezer space #1 might be your only option. But then again, you can buy a small freezer and it will pay for itself.

Final note, you can't just feed plain ground meat like ground turkey, ground beef, etc. This isn't balanced nutrition is why. Just as an FYI.

Hope that helps.

ghostthesphynx

Lairian
thank you! she actually doesn’t have worms or any parasite. that’s why i’m concerned it’s diet.

Most vets recommend against raw. I would say you have to know what you're doing, especially if you make the food yourself. It's not something that you can wing or half you-know-what. But I've been feeding raw for 7 years and my vet is fine with me making raw food now. Like I said, you just have to know what you're doing.

I would try to get rid of worms before you switch to raw. Unless you suspect that it's the current food that's causing the worms, in which case I would get rid of it right away. But other than that I would try to deal with one thing at a time.

By the way, you don't "have" to get food that says it's for kittens. The premium brands only have one recipe, and it meets the nutritional requirements for all life stages. When a brand has separate kitten and adult recipes, it means the adult version doesn't meet the nutritional requirements for kittens. The food companies do it to keep the cost down, and because technically they aren't required to provide more than a certain level of nutrition for adult cats.

So if you want to eventually switch to raw, here are your options from most to least expensive:

1. Freeze dried raw - this is the most expensive option and it's just for convenience because you don't need freezer space.
2. Frozen, complete and balanced meals - 2nd most expensive; you need freezer space but the food is ready to serve.
3. Frozen, ground meat/bones/organs - this is a popular option because it requires only a small amount of elbow grease while saving a good bit of money. All you need to do is add a supplement.
4. Grind your own cuts - cheapest option but involves the most work and you must have a grinder.

For beginners I would recommend either #2 or #3. But if you don't have freezer space #1 might be your only option. But then again, you can buy a small freezer and it will pay for itself.

Final note, you can't just feed plain ground meat like ground turkey, ground beef, etc. This isn't balanced nutrition is why. Just as an FYI.

Hope that helps.

ghostthesphynx

Lairian
just ordered it! thanks! also, maybe you have insight on this: since she’s a very tiny runt (she’s 7 or 8 weeks) i was giving her the recommended amount of KMR once daily sprinkled over wet food. Ive spoken to 3 vets (2 in person and one online) over the past week, so i unfortunately forgot to ask the 2 in-person vets, but i did ask the online vet about the formula. She said ghost shouldn’t need it anymore. What do you think about this? other than that I give her L-Lysine twice a day (1/8 tsp) and the first week she came home i gave her a tiny bit of 100% pumpkin purée. Sorry if this is extra info just trying to be thorough in case any of this sparks an idea for anyone. Do you think I should start giving her the KMR again? It’s been probably 5 days since I last gave it to her

@ghostthesphynx Instinct makes their food to meet the nutritional requirements for all life stages so you are fine :)

Back