Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

PLEASE HELP! loose stool

Stephanieveroni

Lairian
good afternoon everyone,

I am panicking and seriously worried about my Frodo, he is 1 year and 6 months, I've had him for 3 weeks now, I bought him from a breeder that couldn't have the cat anymore as it wasn't getting along with her other adult cats and many kittens. When my partner went to pick him up he quickly went over to his lap and started purring straight away like he knew this was going to be his new daddy{} The lady explained to him what food he has which is Royal Canin , how many times he eats a day and all of the good stuff. Frodo was suppose to have his booster that morning but when she was taking him to the vets to do so he 'exploded' (that's how she described it), when she arrived at the vets with Frodo, they couldn't give him a booster because he was passing very loose stool so the put him on a paste for 5 days (Pro-Kolin+). She explained this to my partner got Frodo all ready for his travel back home, and left on his journeys. 5 mins into the journey he poops loose stool again :  (

Once he got home i stuck to the same diet of course, changing diets could cause many issues. I kept giving him the paste for the recommended time and still the same. very loose mucus stools. He is extremely playful, naps alot, always jumping around always purring, does NOT leave my side! So my initial thought was change of environments, previously he was in a small room by myself and now hes got this huge space, perhaps he was still trying to adapt to it.
The week after the loose stools continued, so I decided to take him to the vets of course, The vets said hes very healthy looking, no dehydrated at all, ears extremely dirty (she said the canals were very blocked, like they havent been cleaned for a very long time) so quickly he got put on antibiotics. For his loose stool she suggested changing his diet to Royal Canin Sensible. Which I bought straight away from the vets as i just wanted to get him home and start straight away (which she advised on doing so). She also mentioned it could take up to a week for his belly to get use to it. When I was at the vets she kept asking me when his last vaccinations were which I had no idea, as when i registered him to the new vets they rang me and requested the details for the old vets to get his record which they did so, The vet kept saying to me there is nothing on their system apart from a worming and the paste that got given to him on 5th.

It has been a week since then and its getting worse!!!! I have been panicking all day, so i thoguht to myself let me ring the old vets and get some information and figure out if he has always had loose stools or have they really just started on the day he was picked up.
Rang the vets, gave them the old owners details and they confirmed that he was only registered there the previous day (4th september) and taken in for a worming on the 5th September, they had no record of any previous vets.

We are currently now doing poopie samples, but i dont know if anyone has any ideas on what i could give him to help him improve his stools? I am currently at an panicky stage, and pretty annoyed stage. Still no answer about any previous vets. Which i really need so i can figure out if my baby has been suffering with this issue for a long time or not :  (

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello, sorry to hear of thee issues. You now have a food change and multiple meds going thru his system so its going to be hard to pin point. You need to stick with one food and finish the meds and go from there, if this meds are even needed. Has Giardia been ruled out? Sphynx cat with Diarrhea (Giardia). Most vets will just treat to be safe, the meds won't harm the cat. Please keep us posted with updates. :)

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Healing thoughts and vibes sent!! Not an easy situation to find yourself in... I agree with @admin that it's hard to say with any certainty right now what's causing it, but to see it through in terms of treatments and persevere with the same food. It's really good you're having poo samples analysed! Important to rule out any nasties...

I give my 2 boys probiotics daily, and in case of occasional upsets I give them this amazing paste, which usually sorts them out in a day or 2!! I know your Frodo might be having some issues that need prescription medication, but probiotics just help keep the gut bacteria healthy, as well as restoring a balance when it's lacking. The paste might not work in terms of stopping his runny poos if his issues are more serious, but it might give a bit of respite..! It's not supposed to be given for more than 3 consecutive days, and it helps restore minerals and electrolytes that are lost during persistent diarrhea.

Please keep us updated!

1570123115684.png

1570123229171.png

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sorry to hear you’re dealing with this issues.
Did the vettest on all kind of bacteria? Is so then you could try to add oure pumpkin to the fiod. This can help to firm up the poop. Sending healing vibes!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Stephanieveroni .healing thoughts and positive vibes for Frodo
you can ask the vet to rule out Giardia, tritrichomonas , crypto, and such
get a good baseline...
some vets prescribe flagyl (metronidazole) depending on test results

big hugs to you! hopeful vet visit will get you some answers and relief for Frodo

following closely for updates

MrPickles

Lairian
Sorry to hear of your Frodo's troubles, our little Peaches went through a similar episode and it's well worth sending off those stool samples just to identify if there is an underlying infection.

I would recommend trying Hills Digestive Care ID food (dry) as it sorted out our little one's troubles, it's a plain food, available from vets in the UK, and since we tried it we always keep some down for her.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Stephanieveroni .healing thoughts and positive vibes for Frodo
you can ask the vet to rule out Giardia, tritrichomonas , crypto, and such
get a good baseline...
some vets prescribe flagyl (metronidazole) depending on test results

big hugs to you! hopeful vet visit will get you some answers and relief for Frodo

following closely for updates

Back