Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Please Help! Naming Kitten

Mangosoccer11

Lairian
Hi everyone!!!

I'm getting my baby in a week!!

I have everything picked out for my sphynx except what I should call him.

These are a list of names I thought of:
Maximus
Cyrus
Edmund
Zatara: from the movie The Count of Monte Cristo
Kai
Eckerd
Sultan
Oat
Moose
Oatus
Aeris: Latin for air, atmosphere
Adamo: Latin “to fall in love with”
Polo
Stud Muffin
Cairo
Mau
Raja: Ra-ja “To hope”
Kekoa: Hawaiian for “the brave one”
Kahoku: Hawaiian for “star”
Arsalan: Persian for “lion”
Shah: Persian for “King/emperor”
Shamshad: Persian for “Box tree”
Xerxes: Persian for “Chief”
Nyree: Maori
Hunapu: Maori for “Hidden Darkness”
Iwi: Maori for “Nation”
Ruru: Maori for “Owl”

If you like any of these names or you like another name, please comment!!!

I feel so lost. Please help me!!!

Last edited:

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Wow, that's a big list! Maybe wait until you get him to see what name fits him? I was really anxious to get a name for Priscilla and nothing fit until I actually got her, looked at her and said the name to her and she responded. Just my 2 cents. :BigSmile: With that being said, I like Cyrus and Edmond. A few I thought of: Dante, Franklin, Spencer, Prestin....those names popped into my head when I looked at him. :BigSmile:

Bella07

Banned
You have a great list of names there! I really like Cyrus for him. My experience is that when my kitten comes home, I talk to him. I will say a few of the names of the list. After a few moments, I just "know" what his name is. Either he will look at me and let me know that that is "his" name, or I can just "feel" it! Not sure if that makes any sense, but when you meet your kitten in person, his name will just come to you! Best of Luck!

Mangosoccer11

Lairian
Lol! I didn't realize I had a long list until you mentioned it, NightSpidy and gizmo6370.

Thats a really sweet idea, Bella07, to say some names to the kitty. I think I should shorten my list or I'll be reading to the kitty for a few minutes lol.

Lol I like Maximus too, sphynxie!

Ok, so far, thats 5 for Cyrus.
1 for Polo.
1 for Arsalan.
1 for Moose.
1 for Raja.
1 for Edmond.
1 for Namir.
1 for Maximus.
1 for Dante.
1 for Franklin.
1 for Spencer.
1 for Prestin.

Thank you for everyones advice! This is a big help.

Mangosoccer11

Lairian
Ok thank you ckutkuhn7!!!! I like Mau too!!! It almost sounds like "Meowww" I think its pronounced "Ma-oo" (I could be wrong tho)

Thank you!

Mangosoccer11

Lairian
Now the count is...

5 for Cyrus.
1 for Polo.
1 for Arsalan.
1 for Moose.
1 for Raja.
1 for Edmond.
1 for Namir.
1 for Maximus.
1 for Dante.
1 for Franklin.
1 for Spencer.
1 for Prestin.
1 for Mau.!!!!!

Mangosoccer11

Lairian
Oh wow!! Thank you everyone for giving more advice. I am horrible at choosing names.

I agree with you, MissMySphynxBoys. Also, Ill need to shorten down the list before I say the kitties name to him.

This is helping me cut out some of the silly names that I wrote on the list.

BlueGirl, your so right. Cai would be way better than Kai. I officially changed that name. Kai looks so much better than Cai.

Lol!! I was thinking "jeez does the name 'Ruru' suck that bad that no ones mentioned it?" And then you, TotenEngel mentioned that you liked 'Ruru'. Thank goodness!!! :Laugh:

Mangosoccer11

Lairian
Ok now it is...

6 for Cyrus.
1 for Polo.
1 for Arsalan.
1 for Moose.
1 for Raja.
1 for Edmond.
1 for Namir.
1 for Maximus.
1 for Dante.
1 for Franklin.
1 for Spencer.
1 for Prestin.
1 for Mau.
1 for Ruru.
1 for Kai. :Impish:

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Nofuratu would like to tell you that "Mao" means "cat" in Cantonese and Mandarin. He does a lot of research for his blogs. I like the name Mao/Mau a lot!
Im also big on shadowfax for my next sphynx (gandalf's horse in lord of the rings)
But I also like "The Count" from sesame street.
You can never choose a name for sure though until you spend a few days with the animal. EVERY single name Ive ever picked ahead of time for a pet has ended up not suiting them after I saw their personality...so keep the long list....you may need it!!!

Adventures of A Naked Cat

Gizzymom

Banned
Nofuratu would like to tell you that "Mao" means "cat" in Cantonese and Mandarin. He does a lot of research for his blogs. I like the name Mao/Mau a lot!
Im also big on shadowfax for my next sphynx (gandalf's horse in lord of the rings)
But I also like "The Count" from sesame street.
You can never choose a name for sure though until you spend a few days with the animal. EVERY single name Ive ever picked ahead of time for a pet has ended up not suiting them after I saw their personality...so keep the long list....you may need it!!!

Adventures of A Naked Cat
I agree!! The count...:LOL:

One... Two.... Three wonderful sphynx.... AH AH AH AH!!!:Hysterical:

firehillqueen

Banned
naming is sooooooo hard. . . but I agree what you like might change when you see him. Cadeau and Ciel kinda picked their names out of a list of names I liked. Richard, my husband, more or less named Chimere ( Cherry ) in the car on our way home from picking her up from the breeder. But having said that, he nick names EVERYTHING and never calls them by their proper name at all. Sometimes he just calls them Pinky, other pinky, and not as pink... LOL

Gizzymom

Banned
naming is sooooooo hard. . . but I agree what you like might change when you see him. Cadeau and Ciel kinda picked their names out of a list of names I liked. Richard, my husband, more or less named Chimere ( Cherry ) in the car on our way home from picking her up from the breeder. But having said that, he nick names EVERYTHING and never calls them by their proper name at all. Sometimes he just calls them Pinky, other pinky, and not as pink... LOL
LOLOLOLOLOL...

I call Gizmo Pinkers sometimes...:LOL: