Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Please help! Ringworm

Hyperion

Lairian
My poor boy had surgery a little over two weeks ago and five days after that his last set of shots. Suddenly the next day he began breaking out like chicken poxs. We took him back to the vet as these bumps started getting bigger spreading faster than I imagined. They confirm it was ring worm, we have been trying spray the last week or so. He just had a bath with ringworm shampoo for first time and sprayed down and he is miserable shaking and growling like he is in pain. I dont know if he having a bad reaction or if it's normal. I just don't know what to do for my boy.

Attachments

• 20191121_190400.jpg
    20191121_190400.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 127

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
So sorry this is stressful. We rescued a girl years ago and 2 weeks to the day we brought her home,a ring developed on me. On her it looked like she had a couple of pimples or like you said chicken pox no distinct ring. I’d ask your vet if the spray or shampoo has possible side effects. Those rings definitely look inflamed. Poor baby. Just keep cleaning all surfaces with antibacterial cleaner as well in hopes of no cross-contamination. Are you keeping him quarantined?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Hyperion welcome and hugs.... glad you reached out ... so sorry you are going through this with your baby... Name?

definitely would recontact the vet about the shampoo and spray and show /email them the picture...
several of us have gone through ring worm at some point in time. it is definitely sucks. we are here for you ..surely members will chime in..

I did get a gallon of chlorhexidine solution that my vet uses in their office for cleaning... I use it on all surfaces now for routine cleaning,
I saw it on revival animal site and ended up finding it to add to my order on chewy.com to get it in 2 days. I would ask your vet if this product would be okay to use in your home

what shampoo and spray are you using that is possibly causing irritation? I agree his skin does look irritated :(

sending a lair full of speedy recovery vibes and relief for your nakid. my heart goes out to you and him.
following closely for updates

we are here for you and your sweetie...

tagging @CMuniz , @Bartholomew and all others for Ringworm help

here is a search box result for ringworm that may have some useful threads...
it will definitely help to know you are not alone...

please follow up with your vet asap and let us know what the vet says...

((((((((hugs)))))))))) . you got this

Last edited:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair.

Your boys skin looks very irritated/inflamed to me. Way more red then we usually see with ringworm. Maybe call the vet and ask if the shampoo and spray can cause this or something else.

Sending lots of healing vibes

Hyperion

Lairian
I think we are okay, the inflammation went down alot and the marks are flaking and drying out it seems. Hermes (the kitty) is super unhappy about being in a cone for weeks now.
There is one bad one on his face though right on above his lip Im not sure what to do about because if I put medicine on it he can lick it. Which the spray to get rid of it says do not let them ingest it.
Hermes is....( Sort of) quarantined to my bed room, I have a five year old and a doggo that's runs around the house so me and my husband have been keeping the kitty in our room. First because of his stitches and now this... I know ringworm is very contagious so we are doing out best constantly cleaning the room and bed sheets blankets ect.
Thankfully me and my husband haven't caught the ick and I continue to pray we don't cause Hermes is a mamas boy and has to be in my lap or lay on me anytime I'm in my room.
How long does it take for this to go away?
And is he going to have scars from all these marks when it does?

Attachments

• 20191122_181028.jpg
    20191122_181028.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 20191122_162426.jpg
    20191122_162426.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 107

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
That just sucks. I remember the stress involved with it. Hopefully no scars. Our rescue girl was black, so she had little freckles for quite some time but they disappeared over time. I washed our sheets every day and we ended buying a steam cleaner to do carpets/furniture etc. we also had a furry boy at the time and ended up getting him shaved because we just couldn’t contain it. The neighbors really thought we were odd first naked cats and then shaving one lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caloci

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi,

I am sorry to hear about the Ringworm. I too, have dealt with this. Once confirmed with a culture, my vet prescribed oral Itraconozole pulse therapy. One week on, one week off for 8 weeks followed by a culture. Also, bathing 2x a week in chlorhexadine/miconozole shampoo. The one I used was by Dechra, here is the link:

You can also ask your vet about Imaverol. It is pricey and off label for cats so definitely as the vet. If possible quarantine the cats to a bathroom or some such preferably with no carpet. Vacuum daily and wash surfaces with 1:10 bleach solution or Accelerated Hydrogen Peroxide. The internet has some great resources and tips for cleaning, many from shelters or veterinary colleges.

My vet said that a second culture a month after the Itraconozole therapy with both reading clear is a good indication that you are in the clear. Any questions feel free to ask!

Sheldon13

Staff member
Bless his heart. How is he today? Ringworm can definitely be very uncomfortable. Is his pain better today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CMuniz

Lairian
@Hyperion
How is your baby, did the ringworm clear up some? I dealt with ringworm over this past summer and it wasn’t fun. My female had it and my boys got it too. I had to clean my house from top to bottom and shampoo the rugs. My daughter and I also got it, thank gosh no one else in the house caught it. My vet gave me liquid medicine that I had to give to all 3 cats by mouth. It was very expensive and they had to be on it for 2 months. Hang in there. It will go away, it just takes time.

Vermilion

Lairian
I'm pretty sure my little guy has ringworm, he has a vet appt tonight but I looked up home remedies for it and saw one that says mix apple cider vinegar with garlic and hold on affected areas with a paper towel for a minute, I did that and within an hour or 2 later they already faded a lot! I'm still taking him to the vet later but wanted to share that because I was amazed!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure my little guy has ringworm, he has a vet appt tonight but I looked up home remedies for it and saw one that says mix apple cider vinegar with garlic and hold on affected areas with a paper towel for a minute, I did that and within an hour or 2 later they already faded a lot! I'm still taking him to the vet later but wanted to share that because I was amazed!

Garlic is toxic to cats so I would stop immediately. Cats groom often so they would ingest. Good luck at the vet tonight...update us. @Vermilion

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Vermilion Glad you have a vet appointment..
we are here for you! positive vibes sent

agree with others... NO Garlic ! toxic to cats

keep us updated on the vet visit diagnosis
healing vibes
hugs n head smooches

Vermilion

Lairian
Garlic is toxic to cats so I would stop immediately. Cats groom often so they would ingest. Good luck at the vet tonight...update us. @Vermilion

Thank you! I did just find that out yesterday, I knew they couldn't eat it but I didn't know if it was ok to use topically, he does have a little cone on his head now and is on a topical medication for ringworm, hoping it goes away soon! :)

Back