Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Please HELP!!! What is going on?

Yourbroboris

Lairian
an friend just sent me this pic! Her cat has diarrhea, drooling and can’t walk! She doesn’t have money ( no judgement please) has anyone seen any of this? She took it to the Vet and got a blood test and they gave the cat an IV for dehydration and it was $221.00.
I am trying to get her some grants today to help pay. Does ANYONE know anything?
Thank you so much! Suzanne

Attachments

• 342FF2E3-A6D4-409F-B9AD-4046B8F9A3DC.jpeg
    342FF2E3-A6D4-409F-B9AD-4046B8F9A3DC.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 151

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Awww poor baby, I have no idea what it could be, hoping others will chime in with some helpful knowledge. Sending healing vibes her way, that looks so sore :sorry: She could try starting up a Go Fund Me and sharing on her social media pages, I've seen a lot of sphynx parents on social media raise a lot of money that way.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Oh no. I have never seen something like that. It looks like a contusion. Please update us. Great idea about the go fund me on her social pages. That is not allowed in the Sphynxlair forum, but on her own personal social media she would probably get help. Positive vibes are sent and please update us.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Yourbroboris , Suzanne bless your heart for helping your friends kitty
A lair full of prayers for the vet visit tonight

Did the vet rule out possible seizure with the drooling , diarrhea , not walking ?
As for the pic I have no idea
Did kitty Possibly sit on a hot stove ?
Any discoloration to the paw pads? Any other areas look like this ?
It does look like a contusion discoloration ?
Any chance of a fall from s high place , balcony etc ? Indoor or outdoor kitty ?

Sending positive thoughts and prayers
Head smooches hugs

Please please keep us updated on the vet visit tonight
When will the blood test results be back?

Here is s good video of checking for deydration that can be done at home to monitor between vet visits

Last edited:

Yourbroboris

Lairian
Thank you everyone! She is trying to get Grants right now. She will get X-rays tonight hopefully. She is a starving artist.
I will keep you posted!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Yourbroboris , good news no broken bones
All paws crossed for the ultrasound tomorrow
Please keep us updated

What is this sweet kitties name ?

(((Hugs))))))

Yourbroboris

Lairian
Her name is Nala. She just turned 1. I will ask the Vet about seizures. She is tiny! She weighs 5 pounds. She also has s lot of scabs all over her. The owner said she has had them for weeks

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
You mentioned scabs. If they are small/freckle like scabs, have the vet also check for ringworm. It can look different on Hairless pets, it doesn’t always look like a ring.

Happy to hear no broken bones.

Yourbroboris

Lairian
Thank you! I will call the Vet this morning. This poor Baby. This is a friend of my sons and unfortunately had no money and was so overwhelmed that she did nothing obviously didn’t understand the severity of what was happening. I will post an update today

Traci Smith

Lairian
Does she live in a 2 story or have banisters.. climbs on places higher than 4 ft?
From my experience in people medicine, this looks like internal bleeding due to impact or fall. Contusion type of injury. Is it possible she could have taken a fall? The drooling could be shock or head injuries as well. If it were a human patient these would be the things I would be thinking—- trauma, but they can also be non-trauma type injuries.

Hoping to hear some really good news soon!!!! I hope she gets to feeling better! Please let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yourbroboris

Lairian
Well there is good news and terrible news.
The good news is she doesn’t need surgery the terrible news is that she has a fractured pelvis. AND previously fractured and healed ribs. Obviously I was devastated to hear this from the Dr. There is nowhere for her to fall. It’s a one story apartment.
It wasn’t the owner but she said she had a boyfriend living with her that didn’t like her cat. The cat hisses at him
Soooooo. ..... she got rid of the boyfriend today. But I am terrified for this little kitty.
This is a 5 pound cat. How could anyone hurt her?
My heart is broken.

EnAyKayIDee

Lairian
I was so worried this was the case, based off your picture. Sending so much love and good vibes.

I'm glad she has found you, kitty will know you have love and care for her. You are an amazing person.

Yourbroboris

Lairian
But..... the owner is going to get her back and I’m so worried. I’m worried that she’s not seeing what is happening in her own home. I’m extremely fearful for the cat.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Yourbroboris see also my reaction in the other thread.
Do you have a good relationship with the owner? Can you talk to hear about what happened? With talking I mean, non judgemental asking her questions and listening to her story? I work in youthcare and see a lot of child and pet abuse. From what I learned the only way to help is to listen and trying not to judge. That's difficult and I bite my tongue a lot to not say what I think. (Btw I always say the abuse must stop, no arguing about that).

If the owner feels you're standing next to her, willing to help her, to help her see what is going on, to help her making better decisions, the cat may get a better life.
And the owner may get a better life too (when there's pet abuse most of the time there's a lot more violence going on in the home).

And remember, you stood up for this sphynx, made sure she got help from the vet and that already means a lot.

Yourbroboris

Lairian
@Toa and Ross
Thank you! I did ask her. She said he has never hit her. Now she is saying she doesn’t think he did anything. I feel horrible for her but my main concern is the health and safety for the cat. I may foster it for a month. I’m really hoping that I get to do this. I had nightmares and am having a hard time dealing with this. I will post a pic of the sweet baby today when I visit her at the hospital.
Thank you everyone for the sweet thoughts and hugs❤️

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Yourbroboris all fingers and paws crossed you are allowed to foster the sphynx for at least a month. Specially if the owner is now denying thay the boyfriend did do this. Can imagine you have a hard time dealing with this. I know how hard it is to see a cat in pain and not be able to do what you really want to do. Big hugs for you trying to do all you can.

HelloKealy

Lairian
If it were mine and the boy was denying, I would set up cameras. If they catch the boy abusing he’s gone, if it turns up to be something else? Fix it. That also gives evidence. She can have him arrested for animal abuse, and sue for emotion trauma/vet fees and loss of property value. I see animals as family, but if she bought the kitten for as much as breeders sell them, that is like the boyfriend taking an expensive item and breaking it. I hope all goes well

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Yourbroboris I'm so happy this kitty has you to worry and have her best interest at heart <3. Maybe if your friend allows you to foster her for a month, you may fall in love with her and be able to keep her! Especially if your friend could see that she may be in better hands, knowing she can be properly loved and cared for? Please keep us updated, sending love and hugs to you and this sweet healing kitty :kiss:

gojira14

Lairian
@Toa and Ross
Thank you! I did ask her. She said he has never hit her. Now she is saying she doesn’t think he did anything. I feel horrible for her but my main concern is the health and safety for the cat. I may foster it for a month. I’m really hoping that I get to do this. I had nightmares and am having a hard time dealing with this. I will post a pic of the sweet baby today when I visit her at the hospital.
Thank you everyone for the sweet thoughts and hugs

Hi
If you can put up a go fund me website,I’d be really interested in helping out. Just saying...kitty sounds like she/he is in good hands right now. From the looks of the photo it looks like abuse or a fall..I hope the cat is healing well

Back