Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Please help with kitten colors

sphynxlover

Lairian
I have a litter of F1 Sphynx kittens & am having trouble determining what colors they are. I'm going to be sending the registration in as soon as I know their colors. The mom (a DSH) is registered as a blue lynx point & she isn't. She looks like a blue cream lynx point, but must be a torbie point because she had a red kitten. Dad's a blue mink Sphynx. When the kittens were born, they looked like creams. they are 5 weeks now & still changing. I know the one female is a mink for sure, but don't know exactly what color mink I would call her. There's also a tabby and a red. It's the cream ones I'm having the most trouble with because they appear to be pointed and are showing more color every day. One of the females just started showing a tiny bit of "orange" at the base of her ears too. Please help

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
What color are the eyes?
Pointed cats have blue eyes and minks have aqua eyes.
You should get a DNA test for the mom at UC Davis to see what she carries.
Some of them might be thermals.
My Wrinkles did they and she became a seal tortie point and white.
She had been a seal point and white when the breeder sent her.
Does the one getting the orange have white on her?
The orange would be called red.

sphynxlover

Lairian
The red male & the tabby female are the only two that I know the colors for sure but the eye color isn't showing yet. When I take their pictures, they don't flash back pink, so I know the eyes aren't going to be blue. Dad being a blue mink makes me think the kittens will have aqua eyes like him.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Very cute kittens! What is an F1? and why the outcross to DSH? I don't know a lot about breeding

sphynxlover

Lairian
When a Sphynx is bred to a DSH the resulting litter will all have fur but will carry the hairless gene. These kittens are called F1s.

When an F1 is bred to a Sphynx the resulting litter should be 1/2 hairy kittens & 1/2 hairless kittens.
These kittens are called F2s.

When an F2 is bred to a Sphynx the resulting litter should all be hairless.
These kittens are called F3s.

When an F3 is bred to a Sphynx the resulting litter is considered pure bred Sphynx and can be shown in CFA & TICA.

The best hairless out of each litter should be kept for breeding.

sphynxlover

Lairian
Thanks everybody. I really do appreciate any opinions on the colors. I guess I won't be able to tell until they get a little older. Hopefully the eye color becomes clear soon. That would help out a little. I just need to get the registration papers sent in and don't feel comfortable guessing on the colors. Thanks again.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I do not blame you for wanting to wait before you send the papers in.
When I showed Wrinkles in CFA the first time it was terrible.
She had been registered as a seal point and white but she turned into a seal tortie point and white.
I had to redo her reg in TICA and CFA.
I

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I do not blame you for wanting to wait before you send the papers in.
When I showed Wrinkles in CFA the first time it was terrible.
She had been registered as a seal point and white but she turned into a seal tortie point and white.
I had to redo her reg in TICA and CFA.
I

Is it a pain to have to re-register? Like lots of red tape or what not??

gizmo6370

Banned
I have a litter of F1 Sphynx kittens & am having trouble determining what colors they are. I'm going to be sending the registration in as soon as I know their colors. The mom (a DSH) is registered as a blue lynx point & she isn't. She looks like a blue cream lynx point, but must be a torbie point because she had a red kitten. Dad's a blue mink Sphynx. When the kittens were born, they looked like creams. they are 5 weeks now & still changing. I know the one female is a mink for sure, but don't know exactly what color mink I would call her. There's also a tabby and a red. It's the cream ones I'm having the most trouble with because they appear to be pointed and are showing more color every day. One of the females just started showing a tiny bit of "orange" at the base of her ears too. Please help

Maybe this site is of any help to you.....:Wink: http://www.zeropelagio.be/kattengeneticaEN.html
I think all of the kittens are tabby....:Dizzy:

Teri*D

Lairian
When a Sphynx is bred to a DSH the resulting litter will all have fur but will carry the hairless gene. These kittens are called F1s.

When an F1 is bred to a Sphynx the resulting litter should be 1/2 hairy kittens & 1/2 hairless kittens.
These kittens are called F2s.

When an F2 is bred to a Sphynx the resulting litter should all be hairless.
These kittens are called F3s.

When an F3 is bred to a Sphynx the resulting litter is considered pure bred Sphynx and can be shown in CFA & TICA.

The best hairless out of each litter should be kept for breeding.
Wow, Interesting!

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have a HORRIBLE time with colors- heck, just myself- I see something and think it is one color and others say it's different (and aqua versus blue? Ack!) LOL!

But they are super cute fuzzybutt F1s! Congrats :D

sphynxlover

Lairian
Their colors are still changing. Some are getting lighter, some darker and the cream ones stripes are fading. They are doing great though and are soooo cute! They might have gotten mom's fur, but they got dad's crazy Sphynx attitude for sure.

Back