Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Please help!

Kpenney424

Lairian
My sphynx Anubis is 9 months old and we’ve been trying different solutions to him going after people food whether it’s on our plates at the table or on top of the fridge in packages, he will jump up and steal everything he can! We’ve tried general discipline by moving him and telling him no, I’m trying not to use a squirt bottle because of his need for baths I don’t want him scared of water. We feed him wet food in the morning with dry food available all day, yet he keeps going after our food we’ve come to the point where we literally can’t leave ANYTHING out or else he will get into it. Please give me suggestions! I’m not sure what todo from here!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I use canned air...the type you use to clean a computer keyboard. I never aim at them. The sound of the hiss works here. I also will hiss at them myself as that is the sound a mother cat makes to discipline her kittens. Be consistent...what was once cute can turn into a nightmare when it comes to habits. @Kpenny424

Sheldon13

Staff member
As far as food being stored can you make sure they are behind cabinets and doors? On eating from your plate I wonder if you won’t just have to shut him into a bedroom or something during your mealtimes.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I think @Sheldon13 made some good suggestions. I'll speak for my crew ...they seem wired to go for food. By mother nature. OK I admit they are a little better now that they are older, but they still try to jump on the counter or eat off my plate if I have to go back to the kitchen for something. I can't turn my back on them.

I just thought of one more thing....you could try feeding him before you guys eat so he's not hungry. I do this when I'm about to start cooking.

Last edited:

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My cats jump on the counter and would eat off my plate if I have to go back to the kitchen for something. I can't turn my back on them for a second. It’s like having a baby. I’d also be careful of hot stoves and ovens and any sharp utensils. Also food residue on the bench or sink should be wiped or covered to stop licking etc. Check out the thread on kitten proofing.

If it’s safe they can stay on the counter here.

Back