Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Please keep Lucifer in your thoughts

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We just got back from the vet, Lucifer has an infected sebaceous gland on his neck. It has always been a little bump but we kept it under control by cleaning it regularly (pressing the stuff out) and it's never really been a problem. Last time we were at the vet though she told us to leave it alone to prevent it from getting irritated, so we did.
Yesterday it suddenly transformed in a huge, hard bump and we couldn't clean it ourselves. The vet tried to drain it with a needle but Lucifer wasn't cooperative and since it's in such a difficult spot, she couldn't cut it open either.
So for now he's on an anti inflammatory medicine and we hope it'll get small enough for the gland opening to be unblocked again.
Please keep our sweet boy in your thoughts, because if this doesn't work he'll need surgery to remove it...

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Lair prayers to Lucifer! I had this problem with one of my past dogs. It was a pain in the butt, cause it would go down then come back. He had it removed and they didn't get all of it so back it came. Ugh. It smelled and oozed and finally the vet managed to get the whole nasty thing out. Then it healed easy peasy.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Lair Prayers are sent. I hope it starts to heal and you guys avoid surgery. Please continue to update us. Also if possible maybe you can share a pic in case we have members in the future with a similar problem. Happy healing Lucifer.

patti

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Lair prayers to Lucifer! I had this problem with one of my past dogs. It was a pain in the butt, cause it would go down then come back. He had it removed and they didn't get all of it so back it came. Ugh. It smelled and oozed and finally the vet managed to get the whole nasty thing out. Then it healed easy peasy.

Wow, I hope it doesn't get to that. It's never oozed or smelled, we just regularly squeezed out some green sebum and that was that. It didn't turn into a problem until we stopped doing that as per vet instruction.
Glad your dog healed up fine in the end! Thank you for the well wishes.

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Lair Prayers are sent. I hope it starts to heal and you guys avoid surgery. Please continue to update us. Also if possible maybe you can share a pic in case we have members in the future with a similar problem. Happy healing Lucifer.

patti

Will snap a picture later, he's snuggled up under my sweater at the moment :happy:

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Here are some pictures @Catzzzmeow

This one is from this afternoon, you can see how thick his neck is:
IMG-20140403-WA0000.jpg

And these are a bit more close up:
DSC_0642.JPG
DSC_0659.JPG

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
So, Lucifer finally got out of your sweater huh...lol. I guess he opted for a little sunbathing. Poor guy, that is a big lump. Hopefully it will heal on it's own. He looks so proud!

Also thanks for posting pics. We all see so many different health issues in here and chances are one day our problems will make another member feel more at ease in the future if they come across the same problems and see how we handled it.

Purrs & Peace,

Patti

Kyla L

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I hope that the swelling will go down and you can get the infection out soon. Poor guy. Feel better soon Lucifer! I will be keeping him and you in my thoughts.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thinking of your boy. I know that can be worrisome. My Loki used to have one on his neck also and it got to the point where we had to have it removed while he was under for a dental.

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thinking of your boy. I know that can be worrisome. My Loki used to have one on his neck also and it got to the point where we had to have it removed while he was under for a dental.

Thank you for sharing your experience, hopefully it will not come to that but if it needs to be done it will be.

Back