Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Please please please Help!

meg

Lairian
Hello, I've been following this site for years but just joined because my sphynx recently has been acting differently and I really need the community help and support. Her name is Cricket. I am going to take her to the vet first thing in the morning.

So here is the deal. I just moved in September to an apartment with various nooks, crannies and high places for Cricket to explore. Last week I saw her attempt to jump on a shelf and she had an awkward fall. Also, my girlfriend almost completely sat on her when she was wrapped up in blankets on the couch, and I think that may have injured her as well.

She began going to the bathroom near her box a few days ago. I now think it was because she couldn't jump into it. Today I noticed her babying her back legs and most disturbing, her posture when sitting or laying down seems very abnormal. Her shoulder blades are clenched together often and I don't remember ever seeing that before. When she is perched it just seems like her rips and spine are sticking out more. She has always been a tiny girl but I think her bones might be sticking out more because she seems to be tensing up all the time.

Her bowl is usually full all the time but in hindsight she has been eating less this week, probably because her bowl is in another room and it is hard for her to move. I brought her food to her on the couch and she has been eating it and drinking with an okay appetite. She is not purring which is very abnormal for her. She is breathing through her nose approx 20x / second.

Any advice, similar problems, solutions, support, help would be appreciated. I am beyond worried and scared for my baby right now.

Attachments

• 20171030_211913_resized.jpg
    20171030_211913_resized.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 198
  • 20171030_211941_resized.jpg
    20171030_211941_resized.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 196
  • 20171030_212149_resized.jpg
    20171030_212149_resized.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 113

Yoda mom

Staff member
@meg , we,Coe, to the lair family

Cricket really needs to get to a vet sooner than later -
She is very underweight and lots going on so defintely omly a vet trip ASAP
To do right by her and get a diagnosis and treatment plan

My heart goes out to your sweet girl
Prayers and positive vibes for Cricket

Please please let us know updates from tomorrow's vet visit

Btw how old is cricket ?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@meg , oh sweetie , I thought they may have been the case
((Hugs))) and healing vibes

Please know we are here for you and Cricket

A lair full of prayers sent your way for your girl
For her vet visit

They will probably suggest sub Q Fluids , one or two view X-ray for any breaks
And a blood test to check kidneys etc

My moms senior cat was given B12 shots to increase appetite . we supplemented with nutrical paste.

We went with my vet's advice for what was best.

Please give her a big gentle head smooch from me ..
So hard when they get older
Thank you for rescuing her and getting her to a vet
For the best advice for sweet Cricket

We are here for you
Please update us to,lore -
We all worry like one of our own

Here is a a link to check hydration
Ask your vet about giving unflavored ... Unflavored clear only Pedialyte sold in the baby section .

meg

Lairian
Thank you yoda mom for the love and support <3

Shortly after I posted, Cricket got very disoriented so we took her to the emergency a 5 hours ago. I guess it had nothing to do with an injury. We got blood results that were bleak followed by an ultrasound that told us Cricket had cancer and only a month or so left to live. As much as I selfishly wanted to take her home and cuddle her for a month straight, I had to let her go because the vet said she would only get more uncomfortable by the day. It was hard. I cried and cuddled her for 3 hours before and tried my best to comfort her during. This is my first pet to pass away in my adult life... and I'm such a mess. I'm just shocked at how quickly she went downhill but the vet says that is usually how it happens. I miss her already. I hope that when I heal I can find another wonderful rescue to adore, although Cricket is going to be hard to beat :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@meg , oh sweetie my heart breaks for you (((comforting hugs)))). so sorry your sweet Cricket got her angel wings .
She only knew your love. Bless you for rescuing her and giving the love and care she so deserved .

Taking the pain so they don't have to is the hardest part of the journey.
You have a lair full of members here for you ..

Fly free sweet Cricket - I know my babies are the bridge to fly pain free and whole with you sharing stories of the love you knew in this world. Cricket knows love because of you ..
I truly believe they send us the ones to love to know the love they knew in this word.
Take time to heal and know we are here for you ..
PM me anytime ..

She will live in your heart forever and ever

Fly free sweet ^ Cricket ^

"Replied the glorious cat
For I will whisper into their hearts
That I am always with them
I just am....forever and ever and ever. "
-from poem for cats
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Toa and Ross

Staff member
So very sorry for the loss of Cricket. You did the best you could do for her and that was letting her go. You were there with her and she felt your love. Big hugs.

meg

Lairian
Thank you. For some reason your comment really touched me. I'm so thankful I joined this site an I very much appreciate you and everyone who has commented. It is really helping me heal.

KhaosKatze

Lairian
just lost my Gizmo to cancer last night. Took him to vet and xray showed his abdomin full of tumors. I send my condolences.

meg

Lairian
I am sorry for your loss as well. Be comforted by the love of this community and by knowing that you did the best for your baby. These first few days have been the worst. I'm totally here for you if you would like to talk it out... I wouldn't mind a buddy who is feeling all the feels that I am right now. Message me, I'd love to exchange photos. Gizmo looks precious and a little bit like my Cricket.

Back