Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Please,, Prayers or Sam .. multiple seizures in past 24 hours

Yoda mom

Staff member
Sam was diagnosed 4 yrs ago last week with idiopathic epilepsy..

Sam was seizure free until yesterday.. :(
awful awful , slammed into a heavy statue knocking it over thankful did not get hurt, bowel loss 1st seizure.. , continuing issues today with pre ictal seizures. 3 major seizures 2 minutes each and multiple cluster seizures around the clock.

also has horner's syndrome as of last month. and symptoms of the hereditary degenerative myelopathy , I just lost his littermate Bubba Bear brother to last month.

luck as I have none lately, transmission went out in my "dog mobile"...

treating him at home around the clock with pheno, nasal midazolam, ice packs. and hoping to get Keppra as a rescue remedy to give when he comes out of seizure,,, as luck has it is is friday and my vet is closing in 25 min. I asked for them to call in the keppra rx but now I think I actually need a handwritten one or it..

please who every you pray to or believe in.. send prayers... I am soo scared to lose him. if he seizes for more than 5 minutes convulsions risk high temp and brain damage .

Attachments

• 20200820_122154.jpg
    20200820_122154.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 17

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sending a plea out to the universe for Sam's recovery. I can't believe what you've already dealt with over this past year; this, on top of it all, is so unfair. Please keep us updated.

Yoda mom

Staff member
thank you all, keep the prayers and positive vibes Sam's way

@Toa and Ross . woke up this morning to him whining anxious at 530 am. pre ictal seizure signs. intevened with some meds and ice packs.

last night the pharmacy was out of the RX of Keppra extended release. They called another store pharamacy and had in stock. Clerk told me to check good rx because cash price over $700! good rx, phew, down to $66 .

started the Keppra ER this morning at 6 am after inteventing with a few drops of nasal midazolam . has to be 2 hours apart from his regular phenobarbital dose time.

well an hour after keppra, had to hold his bowl to him to feed/ drink. he was so ataxic wobbly dizzy , (side effect from Keppra till body adjusts for a couple of weeks) he could not stand up. then I got bubba bears sling and had to help all 138 lbs of him get up off the kitchen floor. tried putting a non slip rug for rear traction but his weight kept pushing out of the way. as he tried to get up I slipped the fleece lift harness under him. Got him up and out the door took awhile for pee/potty break. almost fell over. helped hold him steady with the sling. then used it to walk him back inside.

gave him his pheno dose 2 hours after keppra. Now he is knocked out sleeping. no major full seizures again all paws crossed, but some pre ictal I noticed signs of earlly last night and this morning.

taking lots of deep breaths, telling Sam 'we got this" . it will take a few weeks or his body to adjust to keppra and hopeful it and the pheno help keep the "Monster" status seizures away. Keppra works for some pups and not so much for others as noted in the FB canine epilepsy group I have been with for years.

The admin and another long time epi group member was kind enough to PM me help me the other night till 130 am. th the admin Tammy was awesome, gave me her number to call her . she helped me into the wee hours as he was seizing. I stay calm under stress and just powered thru doing what i need to do.
I also took a long shot at night and checked for my vets office on FB.. I took a chance and sent a PM msg... i was shocked at ater 8 pm, my personal vet Dr Jackson , Pm'd me back with some further instructions as he was cluster seizing terrible all that night.

Doing the best I can for as long as I can for my baby Sam. last night when he was wobbly but smiling and happy squeeking his hedgehog with me and Macie cat.

then at 530 am the whining, pre ictal confused pre monster was back. it is a roller coaster. Epilepsy in dogs is manageable just a process to get the combination of meds right and try to ward off the over 5 min seizures that are often deadly.

Sam was status full blown seizure free for 4 yrs 1 week. I think the stress of bubba bear getting his wings and definitely the reduction of his pheno was a major trigger. I bumped him up to his previous dosage , got nothing to lose. His pheno level was 26.5 last month. therapeutic 15 to 45, noting that can cause toxicity over 30. ( he was 34 3 months ago hence my vet being extremely conservative). I shared the info with admin and she said my vet is very conservative on sams doses of meds , etc.

bless your hearts for all the prayers and support. hope to share positive updates. I did get two merkury 720 pm cameras at walmart pick up discount .. 32 bucks for both.. has flexible stem, just connect to home wireless router. (does not work if you have 5g) I have an Old samsung 7 phone works fine with my non 5g router.

good little camera with motion/ sound infrared to monitor Sam. I cant afford other options so was very surprised with this one how great is is working for my purpose. has a talk speaker option too.

Last edited:

Sheldon13

Staff member
The camera is a great idea. I get a lot of peace being able to watch mine in the camera when I leave.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You and your babies have had a tough year. My heart hurts for you but remember we are all here for you. Happy thoughts sent your way.

Yoda mom

Staff member
11/13 update this afternoon, good news is he has not had a full blown status seizure (all paws crossed) since Thurs night.

sad news is, the keppra ER given this morning bad side effects. He cannot stand, get up floor, total muscle incoordination dizzy.

took me 20 minutes to help get him up off floor with a handled sling and wobble him out to tinkle. now he is whiney anxious watching him closely.

did call ER vet to see what their estimate protocol was if he seizes over 5 min and needs IV treatment. she told me it is over $2,000 typical for his size. and if they dont respond, give angel wings.

I asked what they give for intervention,, it is the same stuff I have at home!

thank you all for the prayers and continued positive energy

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
oh dear, you are having a rough go with all of the pets recently. Sending prayers for you and Sam dog. Thankfully no full blown seizure but sad that the medication that is preventing it is giving him such bad side effects.

Letitia

Lairian
Sending you and Sam every bit of positive energy I can muster. He is a lucky boy to have you as his mama and you, Tammy, deserve a Mother of the Year award. Hugs to you both.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Letitia , thank you...been a rough few days with baby Sam. tonight it took 15 minutes to help get him up the floor again. He is not handling the Keppra extended release well at all. hopeful it washes out of his system soon. I am concerned too that maybe some of the degenerative myelopathy creeping in. as it is hereditary and just lost his bubba bear brother too it. thank you for the positive energy.. will take all I can.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Catzzzmeow , thank you ... another rough day.. really concerned it may be the DM progressing as he saw vet last month during blood work and shows positive signs for it on physical exam
... need all the prayers we can take... I keep massaging lovin on Sam telling him "we got this".. praying it is just the Keppra reaction. in the past he has even had ataxia severe reaction to penicillin based antibiotics, acting the same way. its heartbreaking.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sending more positive vibes. Way too many sadness for you to deal with this year. Please universe, stop it and let only good things happen to Tammy now!!

Yoda mom

Staff member
update, 11/14. had to put ice packs on his lower back last night before bed bcz of pre ictal signs. kept the little cheap merkury 720 camera with motion/noise alert set to high. checking it constantly thru the night. he was sleeping in the kitchen in his fav spot.

well at 6 am motion sound alert. i jumped up to check camera. turns out Macie was meowing in his face, head butting him while he was sleeping. lol

got up and tried to feed him but he could not stand up. so sat on floor with him with his food bowl. he refused water.

took a few minutes to help get him up along with the leash, sling and rug under font and back feet. got wobbly Sam out to the closest door for potty break. came back in and he went to sleep. been sleeping fo a couple of hours.

I am thinking it is the keppra sensitivity. he is sensitiive to meds. I almost gave him his wings as you recall in the past when he had severe motor skill loss reaction to cephalaxin antibiotic. happened twice. vet told me penicillin based antibiotics are obviously contraindicated for him. switched to a different sulfur based and did fine. tookk 4 days for him to regain motor skills. so glad I didnt give him his wings.

praying its the keppra reaction and not the degenerative myelopathy, or brain tumor. (he has horner's syndrome diagnosed last month, that is neurological too.

please continue prayers that the epileptic seizure monster stays away and not symptoms from something else going on in his brain. my heart cant take much more.

on a good note, was amazing today to see Macie taking care of Sam, drank her hills a/d slop, played with a toy and now in the window looking at Raven. her eye is still good today too. continued healing vibes appreciated for all paws

Sheldon13

Staff member
I hope I can offer some reassurance on the Keppra. Ellie was put on that for the last couple of years of her life and she was quite sedate for a couple of weeks. She did adjust though, it just took a little time.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sheldon13 , he is soo sensitive to meds. always a rollercoaster.. calling vet in morning... he weighs more than me dead weight helping him up. today he was at least today both times was a little easier. I did not give him anymore keppra after yesterdays morning dose episode all day

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I really feel for you going through this emotional roller coaster must be exhausting. Hang on in there , sending prayers for you and Sam xxx

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sheldon13, @JessicaRosexo , been a rough week. yesterday several pre ictal, got the ice packs, did occular compression and now new emergency meds vet called in out of stock. called all over . pharmacist ordered, hope in soon!

he is walking getting up on his own yah and squeeking his hedgehog but gets tired easy (here pic sleeping on it with his head) was actually hedgehog cat toy he adopted. he likes little toys, never chews. been busy with watching closely for more pre ictals to ward off grand mals.,

thank for checking in.. continued prayers please for baby sam

Attachments

• 20211116_114925.jpg
    20211116_114925.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 10
Back