Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Please someone help!!!

kitty mittens

Lairian
I got my kitten 3 weeks ago and she settled in really well and was incredibly playful, always ate the raw food we gave her and pretty much charging round the house. However 2 weeks ago we took her to the vet because she was shaking and lethargic and not herself. The vet gave her some antibiotics and some medicine we had to give her.
5 days later and she isn't really wanting to play much, she is fussy about what food she has although she still tries and gets mine and her nose seems blocked when listening to her breathe. I really don't want to take her to the vet until Wednesday because thats not until her insurance kicks in but will when it does.
Anyone had any experience of this?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I got my kitten 3 weeks ago and she settled in really well and was incredibly playful, always ate the raw food we gave her and pretty much charging round the house. However 2 weeks ago we took her to the vet because she was shaking and lethargic and not herself. The vet gave her some antibiotics and some medicine we had to give her.
5 days later and she isn't really wanting to play much, she is fussy about what food she has although she still tries and gets mine and her nose seems blocked when listening to her breathe. I really don't want to take her to the vet until Wednesday because thats not until her insurance kicks in but will when it does.
Anyone had any experience of this?
Welcome @kitty mittens! How old is she? What meds were given? Was she always on raw? What are you feeding her, your own mixture of raw or premade raw?

kitty mittens

Lairian
Welcome @kitty mittens! How old is she? What meds were given? Was she always on raw? What are you feeding her, your own mixture of raw or premade raw?
She is 19 weeks, so still a baby and when we took her for her check up the vet said she was good and was healthy but when we took her back when she got poorly they said it could've been a respiratory virus that came out because of stress so they gave her an antibiotic and some paracetamol. The lady we got her off was feeding her raw so we went to our local shop and bought raw food for cats. However she has completely gone off that now and will only eat normal cat food- despite me not wanting her to have this, I feel that it is better than her not eating at all

Yoda mom

Staff member
@kitty mittens
My crew hated raw so ended up feeding kibble
Sometimes it takes time to see what works for each particular kitty

Not sure how the insurance works
I would ask your vet for a copy of the chart notes from the first visit
It may gauge anything insurance may try to perceive as pre-existing

It is not uncommon for newly brought home kitties to get a URI
Amd a vet visit amd antibiotics to clear things up
Have you notified your breeder for advice ?

Do you supplement with l-lysine paste or powder ?
L-Lysine for Sphynx Cats

@Catzzzmeow amd several members with new kitties and insurance may have some great recommendations

Hugs n healing head smooches
Keep us updated often

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sorry to hear your kitten isn,'t feeling well. Kittens can get a little sick due to stress when they move to their forever home. With the right meds she'll be better soon.
If she doesn't want to eat raw, give her a good quality kibbles and wet food. That'll be fine too.
If you want her to keep eating raw food, you can try to mix the raw with a wet food she likes. First most wet and a little raw and then adding more and more of the raw food.