Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Please tell me it's not just me....

JacksMom

Banned
Is it me or are all sphynx beggars and scavengers for human food! Jack..well, it was like he knew I was eating from day 1! He would see me from afar putting something in my mouth and come running over to see what it was. For days, I was sneak-hiding my food! He eats anything I will let him! I try to distract him in another room during dinner with HIS treats, but that takes him like 5 seconds to devour them, and then he's trying to get in my lap to see what I am eating. I am afraid to give him too much people food (although I feel soooo bad eating in front of him and when I look over at his kibble food...ummm, well, of course I feel bad for him!). I try to stick to veggies, potatoes (without topings, butter etc), fruits, little pieces here and there of white chicken meat (no skin). He is definitely my son because he LOVES spinach & mushrooms (my personal faves), mangos, potatoes, tomatoes, chicken, fresh cooked trout fish (from our camping trip last weekend) rice crispy treats (of course just a few rice crispies worth when I ate them)...he doesn't turn up his nose to anything! I don't ever give him bacon, dark meat, hot dogs, diary, or anything I consider to be fatty or too greasy for his little system.

I want him to stay healthy and that's why his human food consumption...well, I am VERY particular about what he gets and how much (4-5 little bites worth) and it's only at dinner (when I eat in front of him). Does anyone else give their babies any human food? I sure hope I am not the only one [shy grin].:Sweat::Woo:

Last edited:

tessblack

Banned
Mine were bad at first, you had to put them in another room to eat. Slowly they have gotten a lot better. They will check the food out but I just say no and they leave. I just don't want them used to human food because then they will beg. Now we can eat and they don't even bother us. I think it is a personal preference thing more than anything.

Inferno12

Banned
I make it a point to not let my animals eat people food so they dont know what they are missing. This has seemed to work really well for my animals. Diego on the other hand is quite the beggar so we are working on him. My ex ALWAYS gave her animals human food and we could never eat in peace!

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Butterball used to be all over me when I would try to eat. I'd give him human food all the time. Just a bite or two. Nothing big. But that quickly ended.

He tried eating a jalapeno that fell of a slice of pizza I was eating. Ever since that day, he does not eat human food. He literally won't eat people food. Not even a slice of ham or chicken. He will occasionally lick food, but won't eat it. Very weird.

Gable has a thing for butter and parmesan cheese. He also like sour cream, whipped cream, anything dairy. He also likes lettuce and cake.

Amaryllis will eat just about anything off of your plate. She is not picky.

Neither beg or steal. I will offer them little tastes here and there.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Pedda doesn't beg. She suffers from a sense of entitlement when she sees me with human food. She's a female cat with red on her, it just ain't worth fighting with her cause she's gonna win. So I just let her lick and eat what she wants, unless she gets too ambitious and then I make her stop eating.

She eats jalapenos too, doesn't bother her a bit. But she can't stand the green peppers or meat from stuffed peppers. She's weird.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Neither beg or steal. I will offer them little tastes here and there.

well... wish i could say the same about mine...... mine TOTALLY beg AND STEAL!

But i'll admit.. it's all my fault :) and i'd have it no other way!! they are my babies! they are pretty much allowed any and all, with some exceptions: red meat, grapes, things like that...

2 funny stories- i dont always clean up after dinner, i'll admit... i sometimes do it in the morning...
Once i made peas with dinner... woke up the next morning to find the pot EMPTY... and there was a good amount in the pot.... (bronxe)
Another time, i made a whole bag of pirogi's ... the whole bag was left because the kids didn't like them and dummy me forgot to ziplock them and put 'em away... next morning.. you guess it- THEY WERE ALLLLL GONE! (bronxe and our bully Val- i'm assuming.... he typically knocks it off and then they share lol)

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Snuffie is very well behaved when it comes to meal times. However, SoBe in her mightly little kitten self thinks she is entitled to everything!! She is slowly getting better but when she jumps in our lap we just put her back down on the floor. Over and over, eventually she gets tired of it and leaves us alone. She usually only begs me anyhow so I have enough patience to keep her in her place. lol Others in this house DO NOT. lol

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Cleo has a thing with Cheetos.
She steals them if I drop one.
She also took chili peppers and liked them.
They like orange juice also.
My cats are not allowed people food though.
They also like vegies and fruits.

ktate88

Banned
Oh not to worry, Niles is around the same age as Jack and does the same thing!!!

I admit, I have perpetuated this. He's my only little baby so he gets away with anything...mostly. From day one he started drinking out of my water cup; now he has a cup by the bed, but I let him drink from my cup sometimes(ok, whenever).

He is allowed to sit next to me when I eat, but if he reaches out he gets put on the floor. If he can sit patiently he can watch, but he's greedy.

Day 4 he stole a chicken wing. I let him lick ice cream bowls, yogurt cups, LOVES broccoli, OJ, soy milk. I don't feed him when I'm cooking/preparing as I'm trying to keep him off of counters as long as possible.

Funny story: He goes to work(veterinarians office) with me ~once/week. I stepped out to lunch, and the other receptionist pulled out beef jerky to snack on. He apparently came running as soon as she got the bag out. He was batting at her, climbing her legs. She even held it over her head and prince charming climbed on her head to get it! Rotten!!!!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Athena will sit pretty and wait for a treat, Leo on the other hand sits on my shoulder while we eat most times watching my fork go from my plate to my mouth, trying to steal whatever he can. I give him a bit on the table of his own but once that is gone he begs for more. One time he took a pizza roll off out sons plate and devoured the thing.
Hubby usually has a snack like ice cream after we eat while watching tv and Leo sits and waits till he is done so he can lick the dish clean.

JacksMom

Banned
Whew! Thanks ALL for your comments, I feel so much better! As Ktate said, I definitely perpetuated it by giving it to him! I have helped create a crazy beggar!

ktate88

Banned
It's so hard to say no to such excitement from them. He sits at my feet in the kitchen sometimes hoping I drop something. Loves chicken salad...

With the weimeraners I am mommy #2 for the youngest tricked me one time. I was eating chicken fingers at the table. She kept trying to get some. Started barking at the front door, and got her brother to join in. Well he doesn't see ghosts like she does, so I went to the door. In the 15 seconds it took me to go to the door and come back, 5 month old Priscilla had jumped on the table and devored my Zaxbys dinner. Elvis and I were pissed!! She just sat there wagging her stump and licking her lips... grrrr

xxx_phoenix_xxx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
i have never let any of my animals eat human food i think its bad for them. both my labradors have never had any scraps off us although i did find out that when i went on holiday and left my sister to house sit she had fed them a few bourbons each and i could soooo tell when i got home they were begging like crazy i soon put a stop to that lol:LOL: i'm hoping i stick to the same rules when i get my spgynx but i can understand that it will be a little harder to train than my labs were lol:LOL: i like a challenge x

Gizzymom

Banned
Jack's mom, Gizmo was horrible when I first got him as a kitten - he would try to stand on my plate of food! But I was patient and just kept taking him off... Over time, he lost interest. However, he will still go nuts if I am eating cheese, doritos, ham, or pirate's booty (puffed cheesy corn snacks). And I just can't resist him... LOL
I also put a glass of water next to my sink when I am getting ready in the morning for him... has to be fresh water!!! He prefers my glasses to his bowl anyday!
But I don't think a taste here or there will do any harm... and I love my boy being completely spoiled!!

JacksMom

Banned
It's so hard to say no to such excitement from them. He sits at my feet in the kitchen sometimes hoping I drop something. Loves chicken salad...

With the weimeraners I am mommy #2 for the youngest tricked me one time. I was eating chicken fingers at the table. She kept trying to get some. Started barking at the front door, and got her brother to join in. Well he doesn't see ghosts like she does, so I went to the door. In the 15 seconds it took me to go to the door and come back, 5 month old Priscilla had jumped on the table and devored my Zaxbys dinner. Elvis and I were pissed!! She just sat there wagging her stump and licking her lips... grrrr

Ha! They are so much smarter than us!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

JacksMom

Banned
Mine will come and check what's on the plate...but i don't give them everything....tomatoes and grapes are poison to a cat....

Thanks! Didn't know that. I did know grapes and chocolate are toxic to dogs and so just to be safe, I'd never give them to Jack, but new nothing about tomatoes! Jack has had bits of my pasta cooked in a tomato sauce and I had no idea. Yikes.

Anything else toxic that you know of? I saw mention of onions on another thread but didn't know if they were toxic or just "not good" (ie. caused gas or something).

gizmo6370

Banned
Your welcome....onions and garlic isn't good either....
Onions contain a substance (N-propyl disulphide) which destroys red blood cells in the cat, causing a form of anemia called Heinz body anemia. Garlic contains a similar substance in a lesser amount.

KushielsTart

Lairian
Funny story: He goes to work(veterinarians office) with me ~once/week. I stepped out to lunch, and the other receptionist pulled out beef jerky to snack on. He apparently came running as soon as she got the bag out. He was batting at her, climbing her legs. She even held it over her head and prince charming climbed on her head to get it! Rotten!!!!

Mine are all bonkers for jerky! I don't eat red meat so we only get turkey jerky, but we call it kitty crack. They hear the bag rustle and go absolutely crazy! We share most foods with our cats around here, but always in very small quantities. Usually just allowing them to lick/eat what's left from plates or bowls. It seems to make them very happy, so I'm a pushover.

Back