Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Pleased to meet you!

fezmarie73

Lairian
Hi, My name's Heather. I'm new to this site, and I figured it'd be a good idea to tell y'all how I came to be owned by my sphynx cat, Duquesne (aka: Ducky; The Duck; Mister; Kitteh; Buddy; or Hey, Come Back Here With That). Introductions are not my strong point, so please excuse the long winded ramblings of a newly converted cat lover.

I was divorced at the beginning of this year, and had really been looking at getting a pet for company. Also, I have Crohn's disease, and recently started injections of Humira. I hate, hate, hate needles, so I figured having a pet to curl up with or play with before my shot would help relax me, because the injections really do hurt. I had been considering a dog, but I live in a loft. Also, I enjoy leisurely road trips on the weekends, and I knew that there was no way I could leave a dog home alone for longer than 8 hours, so I kinda put the entire idea out of my mind and figured I'd reconsider a pet later, when I really knew what kind of time, energy and money I could put into owning a pet larger than my hamster.

I'd never considered a cat. I always had the impression of cats as aloof and self-serving, with no need for humans except to feed them and cater to their every whim. I didn't need a stuck up animal - no, thanks! Then, my cousin told me about her sphynx cat.

I couldn't believe that a cat could be as affectionate, sociable and people-oriented as she was telling me. A "lap cat"? I was skeptical. The more I learned about sphynxes, though, the more these unusual felines sounded perfect for my lifestyle.

I made sure to do my homework regarding care, maintenance, and special needs of a sphynx cat. I budgeted for the cat, creating an allowance for the initial purchase and set-up in my home. Then I started looking in my area for just the right kitten for me. When I went to the breeder to see her kittens, I fell head over heels for this little grey tabby who liked to sneak up on his sister and attack her while she slept. He had oodles of spunk and independence, but he still liked to curl up in a warm lap, and he was comfortable around kids, birds, rabbits, dogs, etc., etc. He also liked food, which I do as well. It was a match.

So, I took Duquesne home, and he has now taken total control of my home! He gets along great with my robo dwarf hamster: I put the tiny critter in her ball, and the Duck will chase her as she rolls, but he won't pounce on her. He's quite gentle, even if he's got a feisty streak. My friends love that he's so easy going, and never hides from anyone. He's quite the social butterfly!

Anyway, that's how I ended up with a sphynx cat.

Yes, they do require a bit more care. The food bill? YIKES! And the stinky "silent but deadly" gasses that occasionally emanate from their little bottoms... ugh! BUT... I wouldn't trade my Ducky for anything. Not one thing. He's my best friend, my confidant, and his curiosity never fails to make me smile. He has taught me wonderment. He frequently makes me laugh and smile. And he reminds me how perfect every day is, when there's another being in it to give and receive love.

Lucky me. :)

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That is a great introduction! Welcome, we're glad you're here. Sounds like you & Ducky are a match made in heaven!!:ThumbsUp:

Welcome to the Lair! Aren't Sphynx just wonderful!!! I can just about guarantee that yours will know when you are not feeling well and won't want to leave your side. They are amazing animals and like no other I have experienced.

May I ask what you are feeding yours? I know my Amaryllis used to be quite the stinky, gassy girl until I switched her to raw. Same with my Gable. His poo could clear a room and I believe could have been marketed as a weapon of mass destruction. I don;t have that issue with raw.

When I was feeding kibble, I fed grain-free but had to try a few before I found one that caused less offensive kitties.

firehillqueen

Banned
Yayhooo ... another Texan taken over the Lair! We are just south of Fort Worth straight down I35W.
Its wonderful to find you here. It is a warm and welcoming place that is full of great people who have helped me so much in my journey of owning.. wait... being owned by... a pack of Sphynx cats.

MontyBurns

Lairian
Hi Heather! I'm in the Dallas area too! Go Texas!

Anyway, welcome and Ducky is just sooo handsome:BigSmile: What kind of food are you feeding him? I feed my Mr. Burns Innova Evo and he still has stinky gas...:Cry:

Bella07

Banned
Welcome to Sphynx Lair Heather! What a lovely introduction, Duquesne is gorgeous, and I think that you just found your new favorite website! :Wink::ThumbsUp:

susi794

Staff member
Welcome to one of the nicest places I know. We all love this site--our cats--and each other. I am owned by 6 sphynx for the moment--am hoping a pregnancy will soon follow. I neutered my old stud and am waiting for my new one to prove himself --we've got the "mechanics" down pretty well--now just waiting of some babies. I've been breeding for about three years now and adore this breed! I also feed raw and am enjoying the lack of aroma from raw poop--one of our friends used to say she "Loves raw poop!" I do too!
Anyway, I am so glad you've joined the family,
Susi and the gang

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Always good to have a fellow Texan on board. Better yet, you're from Dallas! Me too! Welcome. This is the best board on the internet in my opinion.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome Heather, can't wait to see more pictures of Ducky. My Pedda used to have stinky poos but I switched her dry food to Wellness Core and her canned to Blue Buffalo. The litterbox smells so much better!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Heather and welcome to Sphynxlair! What a great intro! thanks for sharing, please enjoy the site!:ThumbsUp:

fezmarie73

Lairian
I've been slowly adding Nutri Source Pure Vita to his diet.. It's a grain-free cat food that he seems to love. The breeder had him on Purina Kitten Chow, so that's probably why he's been so gassy!
:Badly:
I'd like to learn more about the raw diets for pets, since a friend told me that she saved money buying meats and veggies in bulk.
Can one add quinoa or rice to the diet? I'm gluten-free, myself, so I have 25-50 lbs of rice on hand at all times. I also keep a canister of quinoa on my shelf at all times, since it's a fantastic substitute for bulgar wheat in tabouli!
Will I have to worry about the Duck stalking my dinner? I mean, if I decide to have a nice tartar for dinner, will I have a drive-by dinner theft? As of now, he turns his nose up at anything that isn't cat food.

susi794

Staff member
Cats are obligate carnivores--they don't require grains of any kind. A little bit of babyfood squash or pumpkin mixed in with a good raw mixture of muscle meat, organ meat and bones is what he should have with raw. Also a good idea to put in something like kittybloom to make sure the vitamins and taurine are all there.

Personally, I would stay away from giving him rice or any other sort of grain. As Susi said, they do not require it and it can be hard on their digestive system as they were designed to eat meat and not grains or veggies.

I feed Feline Future pre-mix and ground chicken. The pre-mix has all of the necessary vitamins and I just mix that with water and the chicken and they love it! I am looking into buying a grinder and trying Susi's recipe as it is even more economical.

Even though I feed raw, mine don't bother my plate any more now than they used to. Gable does not like people food except for cheetos, butter, cheese (pretty much anything with dairy), various breakfast cereal and lettuce. Amaryllis is a garbage disposal and will eat about anything. They don't attack any defrosting meats or anything though.

Back