Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

poll

hemismom

Lairian
I was hoping to get some answers from folks who live outside North America

1. where do you live outside north america
2. Where did you get your cat
3. what is your favorite personality trait
4. how did you find out about the breed
5. why did you choose the Sphynx
6. how many do you own
7. how many of you have friends or family that have a Sphynx
8.would you get another if you could
9.what are the advantages of having a sphynx
10. what are the disadvantages of having a sphynx

thank you in advance,

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

6. how many do you own

thank you in advance,

1. Stockholm, Sweden
2. Breeder 350km out of town. (about 220 miles)
3. Mine or the cats? :) I assume the cats. Well, I am home a lot so I wanted an insanelly social and always with me/on me kinda cat and that's a sphynx more than any other breed. I have had cats all my life and bring them with me everywhere almost and that is also very easy with a sphynx. They love people and other animals normally, especially if you get them used to it from an early age.
4. I know a lot about cats since it's been an interest forever so I always knew a lot about them but what actually triggered it I don't know. Or when I first got to know about them.
5. Their looks and rarity is one part of it but the personality is certainly the major part.
6. One now and had one before as well. I also have a Somali who is also a bit of a rarity in Sweden, especially sorrel silver as mine is. There are only about 5 registered so he is likelly to go into breeding for a period.
7. No friends or familly with sphynx. Not many that even have cats at all. I am the odd man out in my social sphere I guess. Always been a race driver, stunt performer (on motorcycles) etc so kitty love is not really a common thing in the world I've been living.
8. Could? Ofc I can. :) I am happy with two cats at the moment though. I've had more than two cats before but then it gets a bit hard to travel with them and since I am in wheelchair most of the time after a race accident now I can only transport one carrier to and from the car without help or going multiple times so two is enough for the moment. :Wink:
9. Many many. Apart from the amount of love they give you and always wanting to be around you they also add something to your, not image exactly but... well people always want to meet them and they are a blast to bring wherever you are going. I would still have sphynxes if I lived alone on a mountain top though.
10. Disadvantages? That would be bathing and all the ear/claw cleaning for most I guess but I love that part as well and Darwin is an angel when it comes to all of that so no problems here.

TotenEngel

Banned
1. Surrey, UK
2. a breeder just outside gatwick
3. the 'love'
4. many years ago when stewarding at cat shows
5. because they are beautiful in a very different way - a bit like me!
6. just the 1 atm!
7. none, though over the years more and more have been getting cats so its a start!
8. when space/money allows!
9.warmth at bedtime, unconditional love (same with all cats though!)
10. the dependancy! (makes me feel bad even when i am just popping down the shops!)

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

6. how many do you own

thank you in advance,

1. California
2. San Diego, CA Breeder
3. Their unconditional love
4. Through a friend
5. It fit our family needs perfectly
6. I have 1 now and I get 1 more tomorrow (2)
7. Several friends have sphynx
8. Absolutely!!!!!
9. No cat hair, More love, mine and my sons asthma is not affected, I could go on &
on....
10. NONE AT ALL!

BlueGirl

Lairian
1. where do you live outside north america. - Edinburgh - Scotland

2. Where did you get your cat. - Staffordshire - England

3. what is your favorite personality trait. - affecionate and social nature

4. how did you find out about the breed - reserching online which breed of cat to get

5. why did you choose the Sphynx - I'm a dog person really, and these little guys seemed to have more of a dog personality than that of the moggys I grew up with, and I've always had a rather 'off the wall' asthetic style and I loved the look of the sphynx sine I was a kid.

6. how many do you own - just the one, Loki :BigSmile:

7. how many of you have friends or family that have a Sphynx - None, unless you count SL?

8.would you get another if you could - definatly!!

9.what are the advantages of having a sphynx - They are so adorable and funny and always cheer me up on a bad day. I can own black clothes and wont get covered in fur, and no hairballs to deal with :Smile:

10. what are the disadvantages of having a sphynx - I love him so much, I dont ever want to leave him, so holidays take a bit more planning!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
1. Atlantic Canada, New Brunswick
2. From a breeder in Iowa, drove to Boston to pick him up
3. cuddly and talkative
4. retired vet tech, had sphynx patients come in and loved them.
5. wanted a human baby but cant have one. Wanted something to dress up and carry around with me everywhere in a purse like those little dogs...
6. one
7. my stepmom has one after seeing me cuddling with mine every night and bringing him everywhere with me
8.will definetely get another
9.only disadvantage is strangers remarking on how expensive they are, and I worry about stealing/cat napping. I always say he is cheaper than having a baby.
10. Advantage is he is just like having a baby. He comes to work with me every day, sleeps with me at night. Just petting his head makes all my problems go away!

Adventures of A Naked Cat

Maua_Peterbald

Lairian
1. Poznan, Poland

2. Where did you get your cat - I got it form a girl in my town, who had him for about two years, found her ad on the internet and bought from her, checked the info I got from her with the breeder and everything was OK

3. What is your favorite personality trait - independence, he is not a very cuddly guy

4. How did you find out about the breed - I`ve always known there is a breed like that, then touched a Chinese Crested Dog at my friends, later made some browsing on the Internet

5. Why did you choose the Sphynx - I guess I am crazy about rare things like learning african languages or collecting orchids, so the cat must have beeen rare too :Laugh:

6. How many do you own - just one

7. How many of you have friends or family that have a Sphynx - I personally don`t know anyone who would own a Sphynx

8.Would you get another if you could - Hard to say, for now I think my flat could be too small for two cats, but I guess a furry companion would be better for my naked guy, a Russian Blue perhaps (two Russians should go along together :Wink:)

9.What are the advantages of having a Sphynx - He is a bit like a child, I used to say that if I manage with a Sphynx, I can manage with a baby, he is a great companion and a good subject for conversation :Laugh: the absence of hair is an advantage too, as my mother has got a Golden Retriever and dog`s hair are everywhere

10. What are the disadvantages of having a Sphynx - going away always makes me guilty, I am also afraid of the health problems that might appear

ckutkuhn7

Banned
1. where do you live outside north america - Ohio USA
2. Where did you get your cat - Akron Ohio Breeder
3. what is your favorite personality trait - the random acts of craziness
4. how did you find out about the breed - first saw them in a tabloid many years ago "Cat found on mars" - then when I was older I saw them in a Cat Show on TV
5. why did you choose the Sphynx - rare - boyfriend is allergic to furry kitties and I can't live without kitties!
6. how many do you own - 2 own me for now!! lol
7. how many of you have friends or family that have a Sphynx - no one other than my breeder that i know owns sphynx
8.would you get another if you could - heck yes!!
9.what are the advantages of having a sphynx - unconditional love, crazy sudden antics, 24/7 entertainment, something to take care of
10. what are the disadvantages of having a sphynx - I tend to have to clean the house more with my sphynx, i have to keep things put up cuz if not they will get into it, they make me their slave and i have to get up daily at 6am to feed them. lol I wouldnt have it any other way tho!!

Back