Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

polydactl

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Excuse my spelling I am very tired. Jack's breeder has a sphynx with extra toes on her website. Never saw one before. Discuss. :ThumbsUp:

Inferno12

Banned
Jess's cat Oscar is polydactal but I dont know why!!! He is named Oscar after the boxer because he looks like he has boxing gloves on!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I've never seen a polydactl Sphynx,,I've seen many DSH with additional toes,,I think they are cute but I thought I read somewhere its caused from inbreeding..I could be wrong..idk

laurame

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I saw that! I've only seen haired cats with this so she must be breeding haired cats into her program.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I saw that! I've only seen haired cats with this so she must be breeding haired cats into her program.

Thats not uncommon. Sometimes breeders will breed a hairy cat back into their lines to change up the blood lines.
I did some reading on this condition, I cant seem to find anything on the Sphynx breed but polydactylism runs mainly in main coons and another breed. It could be possible a Main Coon "non" polydactyl was bred into the lines who had a parent who was polydactyl "positive" and that MainCoons babys would have a 50% chance of being polydactyl.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Polydactylism is quite prevalent in the free-roaming foundation stock in New England which was used to develope Maine Coons. However, it was cat show judges who put an end to it as they said that they wouldn't approve Maine Coons for advancement to a recognized breed if their breed standard included approval for polydactylism. So polys became a disqualification and the trait was bred out.

There are some breeders who are working with polys (and have been for years) but polys are no closer to acceptance than they originally were. Not to mention that there's a big division between poly breeders (who knowingly breed in a show fault) and other breeders such as MCBFA breeders, who agree to not knowingly breed faulty cats.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I just have never seen it on a Sphynx. It doesn't surprise me that she has one, she is working on Bambinos and Elf ears. This is a retired breeder so she was using it in her breeding program.

Back