Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Poo problems

kdlehr

Lairian
i had cats all my life and sadly lost my siamese and persian due to long term health problems 18
month ago
I am now ready to adopt 2 new house mates and fell in love with the sphynx . However, having had to care for seriously sick cats for a long time i am only too aware of the time and money involved. I am reading here a lot about owners with cats who have a lot of problems with poop.
Are these cases more the exception or have most sphynxs these problems?
I am not adverse to the grooming needs , but before i get one of those beautiful creatures , i want to make sure I understand all the needs and problems.
Regards to all from London, UK
Klaus

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
i had cats all my life and sadly lost my siamese and persian due to long term health problems 18
month ago
I am now ready to adopt 2 new house mates and fell in love with the sphynx . However, having had to care for seriously sick cats for a long time i am only too aware of the time and money involved. I am reading here a lot about owners with cats who have a lot of problems with poop.
Are these cases more the exception or have most sphynxs these problems?
I am not adverse to the grooming needs , but before i get one of those beautiful creatures , i want to make sure I understand all the needs and problems.
Regards to all from London, UK
Klaus

First I'd like to say how sorry I am for your losses. It's never easy losing a loving pet. Hugs to you.

I'm not in a position to say whether or not the sphynx poo issues are more the exception or the "rule". But I will say that it's certainly known that the sphynx breed has or can have digestive issues.

I have five sphynx cats and I will tell you from my own experience what I've dealt with:

First sphynx had loose stools for the first six months I had him, then they firmed up a bit.
Second sphynx had loose stools for years.
Third sphynx's poo was always formed except for the occasional loose stool.
Fourth sphynx also had firm stools with those occasional exceptions.
Fifth sphynx basically has firm stools as well.

After learning about adding a spoonful of 100% pumpkin to their meals, it absolutely helped a great deal. But it wasn't until I finally changed their diet completely to a grain-free wet and dry food along with the pumpkin did I finally notice a total improvement. I forgot to mention that along with loose stools, there would be some blood as well.

Nowadays, I almost never see any blood. I used to worry myself sick when I'd see blood in the litterbox. I would run to my vet and get medicines and IV fluids, etc. My vet always told me that it was from their diet causing this and that there wasn't anything seriously wrong with them. I would think the worse thoughts and my vet would try to calm me down. It wasn't until I changed to the grain-free diet along with the pumpkin that I was finally able to breathe a sigh of relief and knew that my vet was correct.

So if you decide to get this breed and if you deal with loose poo issues, know that a change in diet most likely will resolve the problem. A lot of members here have their nakeds on the raw diet which they swear by. My vet is against this and besides, feeding raw won't really work for me...that's why I went a different route.

Also, lots of members have found that it was other food allergies causing issues. For a lot of the members, they found chicken to be the culprit.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the very best and please know that we are always here to answer any or all questions you may have along the way.

Keep us updated and let us know of your decision too.

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to Sphynxlair! So sorry to hear of your loss of your other kitties.

The sphynx is such an incredible breed, they truly give so much love and there is such a special bond. Stomach issues do seem to be an issue from reading online, and from our experience, but as @GoldHazel mentioned, once the food can be figured out, that seems to solve the issue.

We have two sphynx cats, Loki and Gatsby. Gatsby has always had firm stools, and has never had any issue with any food. He was fine on kibble, wet and raw food and we have never had any stomach issues with him. Loki we have had a lot of issues with. Kibble and wet didn't work for him, but now he is on raw diet, and we give him pumpkin as well, and it has completely helped all issues. Of course, raw isn't for everything, it just so happened to work this way for our cats. Since Gatsby does well on anything, they are both on the raw diet now. I think it is just finding a good food that works for your sphnyx.

We also had a greyhound that needed to be on raw because he was allergic to any type of food that had grains, and he was sensitive even to the preservatives. So it can happen to any pet, I think it's just finding the right diet that works for your animal!

Hope you find your answers, and keep us updated on your progress. Have you looked at any sphynx cats, or any available in your area?

kdlehr

Lairian
First I'd like to say how sorry I am for your losses. It's never easy losing a loving pet. Hugs to you.

I'm not in a position to say whether or not the sphynx poo issues are more the exception or the "rule". But I will say that it's certainly known that the sphynx breed has or can have digestive issues.

I have five sphynx cats and I will tell you from my own experience what I've dealt with:

First sphynx had loose stools for the first six months I had him, then they firmed up a bit.

After learning about adding a spoonful of 100% pumpkin to their meals, it absolutely helped a great deal. But it wasn't until I finally changed their diet completely to a grain-free wet and dry food along with the pumpkin did I finally notice a total improvement. I forgot to mention that along with loose stools, there would be some blood as well.

Nowadays, I almost never see any blood. I used to worry myself sick when I'd see blood in the litterbox. I would run to my vet and get medicines and IV fluids, etc. My vet always told me that it was from their diet causing this and that there wasn't anything seriously wrong with them. I would think the worse thoughts and my vet would try to calm me down. It wasn't until I changed to the grain-free diet along with the pumpkin that I was finally able to breathe a sigh of relief and knew that my vet was correct.

So if you decide to get this breed and if you deal with loose poo issues, know that a change in diet most likely will resolve the problem. A lot of members here have their nakeds on the raw diet which they swear by. My vet is against this and besides, feeding raw won't really work for me...that's why I went a different route.

Also, lots of members have found that it was other food allergies causing issues. For a lot of the members, they found chicken to be the culprit.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the very best and please know that we are always here to answer any or all questions you may have along the way.

Thank you so much for your time to tell me about your experiences. I am getting a good idea and lots of advise,
Its most likley that i will be sharing my home with a sphynx, i be looking for one once my work commitments allow me to spend more time at home.
Many thanks
Klaus

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We have had 4 Sphynx in all...only one once in a while one has softer poop....but not liquid. So I can say no issues here. I think we all have to keep in mind that we see many poop issues and threads here because people come to the community for advice on issues they are having, so it sort of lumps them all together and it might seem like an issue. For all the members that are in the community that don't join in on the topic, it pretty much means most do not have a problem. No one starts a thread about having no poop problems lol. Hope that makes sense. I agree it is about finding the right food as mentioned above.

Patti

KitKat26

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When I brought Piper home she was on kibble and her poo was AWFUL! Sphynx just have different poops than other cats. I know some larians are able to find a type of kibble that works for them but I imagine it's a lot of trial and error. The only way we were able to fix the poo problem was by switching to raw. Now I have absolutely no problems what so ever. No stink, no runny poop and no stepping in it. It was so stressful when she was on kibble. If you are able to feed raw, that would be the way to go.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@kdlehr welcome to sphynxlair!
I'm very sorry of the loss of your two cats. It's difficult and sad to see our pets getting sick and to have to loose them.
I have 3 sphynx (warning....sphynx are like patotoo chips, one is never enough:).
Two of them are brothers. Toa did have diarrhea the first 6 months. I was worried sick and went to the vet a lot of time. I finally find out that he had a food allergy (chicken and grain). As soon as I started feeding raw food the diarrhea stopped and he did get solid poops. Ross, the other always has solid poop.
A few weeks ago I added a sphynx girl (almost 2 years old). She has very soft poop, not watery/diarrhea but too soft and she poops to many times (5 times). I'm still figuring out what cause this: she eats grain and chicken free. She doesn't want to eat raw food so that's not a option for this girl.
So don't know if poop problems are common in the sphynx world but there are a lot of poop issues.
If you type the word "poop" and press search I think you'll get a thousands of hits.

Are there so many poop issues or do we just like talking about poop?:). Favorite are: poop feet and poop tails:LOL:

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you so much for your time to tell me about your experiences. I am getting a good idea and lots of advise,
Its most likley that i will be sharing my home with a sphynx, i be looking for one once my work commitments allow me to spend more time at home.
Many thanks
Klaus

You are very welcome, @kdlehr. You will not regret your decision if that's what you truly decide on. Their personalities are a combination of a cat, a dog, a monkey and a toddler human being. You'll never have more than a moment of being alone at home again. The sphynx breed is so unbelievably loving.

Get back in touch with us here to update us. Best of luck.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hmm, I don't know why my above post was underlined and in bold. I went back to take away the underline and it didn't work. Hmm?

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
I don't have anything to add. You've been well informed.
I'm sorry for your loss. My Izmae has never had a poo issue.
Best wishes finding your baby.

singaporesphynx

Lairian
I think it's a matter of trial and error to figure out what works best for the individual cat. My Philibert initially seemed to do well on raw but ended up having very smelly, soft/liquid poo. He is now on Science Diet wet and Royal Canin dry and this is working very well for him, plus a little bit of pumpkin every day. Raw is great for many, but not all Sphynx.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@kdlehr ,Welcome - my heart goes out to you for your losses of your friends -
No time is ever enough - I truly believe they send us the one(s) to love like they knew in this world
Mine sent 4 amazing sphynx

No poo Issues here , feed n go , lots of fresh water amd bi weekly nail trimming , earl cleaning
And baths 10 days to a month on averaged pending on amount of wrinkles too :)

Feeding Acana grasslands and Dr Tims Chase dry kibble with lots of fresh Entr changed 3 x a day
No poo or skin issues with Amy of the 4 sphynx :)

Welcome to the wonderful world of sphynx lovers

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hmm, I don't know why my above post was underlined and in bold. I went back to take away the underline and it didn't work. Hmm?

With the bold and underlined we just prooved how much we love talking about poop here. Even the autocue on sphynxlair wants to talk about poop:ROFLMAO:

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
With the bold and underlined we just prooved how much we love talking about poop here. Even the autocue on sphynxlair wants to talk about poop:ROFLMAO:

You are so funny, @Toa and Ross, I just love it. LOL
Do you realize that we talk about poop on the Lair more than Dr. Oz talks about it on his t.v. show? Now that's saying A LOT! LOL

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thanks to everyone for your input on the "poop" issue
Its not deterring me from getting a sphynx , but i sure not going to buy any more white shirts,
Greetings from london to all
Klaus

@kdlehr now that sounds like a plan. LOL

I call it "rust" and when they are sweaty/dirty, they leave a rust colored residue behind and it washes right out when you launder it, but when I wear something white and have them all over me at times I'll find "rust" on my top. LOL

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Thanks to everyone for your input on the "poop" issue
Its not deterring me from getting a sphynx , but i sure not going to buy any more white shirts,
Greetings from london to all
Klaus

No white, not for your cloths and not for blankets, is a very good idea! Not only for poop issues but also because of the oil/dirt (don't know the English word for it, sorry) that comes of a sphynx due to them not having fur.

For the rest getting sphynx will be the best decision in your life! Hope you'll have a sphynx soon.

Natasja

Back