Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Pooing outside of the litter box

Lulu Bird

Lairian
So my new Sphynx keeps pooping in the drain fight next to the catbox and covering it up with a sock:Surprise:. Her box is clean - I scoop it every day. It's a brand new box too so it shouldn't smell like other cats. Do you think she just doesn't like this brand of litter or something? I put the box over the drain and we will see what happens, I hope she doesn't find a new place to poo!!! I have had cats and never had any of them go potty out of the cat box... HELP!

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hahahha, I don't mean to make fun but that's pretty funny. He uses a sock! ahhahahh

I forgot who it was but someone here was training their cat to use the toilet and took the litter box away so the cat pooped next to the toilet. But the cat neatly put toilet paper underneath the poop so it was rather easy clean up. hahahahha, funny stuff.

Lulu Bird

Lairian
It is funny because she is rather sneaky and clean about it... and she keeps using my boyfriend's sock. Her box is right by the dryer so there is usually a stray sock or something laying around. It's weird that it doesn't smell in there but today when I walked by I noticed the sock on top of the drain again and I knew without having to look that she pooped in there again! I'm just so confused why she would pee in her box but not poo!!! :Hysterical:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds to me like your kitty does not like your litter. A while back we had rehomed Max to Sillylilly's family and he was pooping on the floor:Woo: once she changed the litter back to what we where using he stopped!

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I wonder if she doesnt like it next to the dryer maybe its to loud? Just a thought. I hope You get it figured out!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
There is something your cat doesnt like about the box.......is it big enough? Some cats will pee/not poop if they dont like the box. Could be the noise, not enough privacy. I think its a size thing if she poops beside it.

Something is more attractive about the drain....does the drain smell? Sometimes drains smell bad like poop if theres no water in the s pipe below it. Try dumping boiling hot water down the drain. Bad smell could be confusing the cat....

Lulu Bird

Lairian
I never thought about pouring boiling water down the drain... It might stink. Also it's Booda dome box so it's round, maybe she needs a rectangular one. I put the box in this specific place because it's quite and private. The dryer isn't running all the time just once in awhile. Thank you for the suggestions, I might try a new box and litter and also try to get that drain clean!

I appreciate all the feed back thanks!

Brooke

Banned
If you're going to do a litter or litter box switch, I recommend Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter. It has an attractant mixed in that will entice her to go potty on it. Every time I've ever gotten new litter boxes or changed their location, I always use this litter and it works like a charm! It's available at Petsmart, PetCo and most other pet stores. :ThumbsUp:

(It's also 99.9% dust free - great for our sphynx with sensitive respiratory systems)

Back