Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Wariatka

Lairian
Hello, fellow sphynx owners{= I have a big problem with my hairless lady. She is 2 years old (we adopted her from a certified breeder around 3 months ago) and she just doesn't care for intimate hygiene at all. I've had cats all my life, she is my first sphynx and though I was prepared that she will need more maintenance(ear cleaning, baths etc). I honestly was not prepared for THE POOP. I mean she doesn't cover the poop which is understandable as some dominant cats don't do it(my other cat included) but my issue is with her dirty bum. She just steps out of the litter box with her bum stained with poop and proceeds to go around the house living some "stamps" wherever she sits. This is the first time I encountered such phenomenon, all the other cats I know clean their buts and don't drag poop around the house. I wipe her ass every time she goes but sometimes it is impossible to keep track when I not home. Is this normal? I really need some advice and help : ( I cannot keep doing laundry all the time.

Wariatka

Lairian
I think I wouldn't mind once a few days but in my case, she needs a butt wiping every time. Is this due to lack of hair around this area? I don't have experience with sphynx cats that much so I wouldn't know. Is this a thing that I just have to accept or is there a chance she will become a more cultured lady and clean her behind? I really adore her but the constant discovering of poop everywhere is really problematic.

Wariatka

Lairian
Honestly, that is also what I thought. I was just hoping that somebody had the same problem and may offer some advice.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Mine never cleaned her own butt. Can’t really blame her. Doesn’t look tasty to me either.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Wariatka YES this a thing that you just have to accept and is there is a very small chance she will become a more cultured lady and clean her behind but not likely..BECAUSE this is the joy of owning a sphynx. Welcome to code brown!!

NakieCatMom

Lairian
Mine is a little lax on the butt cleaning at 6 months. Unscented baby wipes have become a staple. LoL She always wants to stick her butt in my face so I need to make sure it is clean.

Yoda mom

Staff member
does she have firm or loose stool? have you changed food from what she was eating at the breeders? I have 4 nakids and clean bums. I rarely have to wipe butts or clean poop stamps. what food are you feeding? what is the protein/ fiber %

Spoiled Spnynx

Lairian
My thoughts went exactly where Yoda moms did. What do you feed your cat? You should get on line and look at Dr. Lisa Pierson site. It is at Catinfo.org she has a picture in her post and it shows what a cats poop should look like. I feed what not a lot of people feed. My cat gets 100% raw food made by myself. Yes it it a lot of work, but I do large batches and freeze it so I don't have to do it so frequently. It took a while to get exactly the proper formula that she likes and allows her to poop like she should. This diet eliminates a multitude of problems that a Sphynx can have, for instance her skin looks good the only time she will have an issue is if I use Downey with scent that will make her break out with little bumps on her and they appear to itch. Her weight is excellent she has never been to heavy and I will feed her anytime she asks me, and trust me she knows how to get her point across. She is also positive for Herpes feline virus. This is a long story, but it was evident when I picked her up. Although at the time I didn't know what it was. She nearly lost an eye thanks to a breeder who didn't know or refused to believe that her cattery was positive for this. She just thought Sphynx cats were just so fragile and got sick very easily. Krissy also gets L-lysine every time I feed her she get roughly 500mg twice to three times a day. I also take it, although I take a pill form and I give Krissy a powdered form. You can buy this online, I was buying one that was marketed for cats, recently I changed to one for humans much much less expensive I got a Kilogram or 2.2lbs for $17.96 on amazon the company that makes this is bulksuppluments.com. This enzyme is excellent to help support your immune system. Case in point I have had 3 direct exposures to the Corona virus and have yet to contract it. I firmly believe that the L-lysine plays a role in this. I mix it in her food and she doesn't even act like she knows it's there. I feed Krissy chicken that has not been feed any hormones or given any antibiotics, and grass feed and grass finished lamb same criteria no hormones or antibiotics ever. The people I work with tease me and tell me that my cat eats better than they do. And she probably does, but I am not a big meat eater so I guess you could say she eats my share of meat. LOL. My point to this novel is that the proper nutrition is the key to everything. I know making your own food is a huge amount of work, but that was the promise I made to my naked baby. A labor of love. Before I brought her home I interviewed a veterinarian from the two vet offices in town that see only cats. I went with a veterinarian who has a very holistic approach. Min. meds and so on. We don't worm her except for the first time, her thought on this is that since she does not go outside, except for walks on her leash, she really would not have anyway of picking up any worms. Krissy just turned 4 years old September 24th. She is honestly my best friend. I hope you are able to resolve the issues with your furless baby. Love and positive thoughts for you and your baby are sent your way. Sincerely Spoiled Sphynx

Back