Poop help

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Health & Nutrition' started by Keightley, May 2, 2018.

1. Keightley

KeightleyLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $706.76
    Ratings:
    +15
    okay, so this question isn’t actually about a sphynx, but I feel this is one any cat owner can chime in on

In addition to that, I used to belong to a rag doll forum and it was a nightmare.

Miso is going to be 2 at the end of June, and he has had diarrhea/soft stools since the day I got him. I have tried SO MUCH: pumpkin, benebac, fortiflora, extra de-wormings, metronidazole, and expensive prescription food. After countless vet visits and trials of everything under the sun, his poops haven’t changed a single bit. He’s otherwise healthy: weight is good, active and energetic, ears/eyes healthy, coat is healthy, and has an appetite. He poops like 6 times a day, and it’s always....well....pretty rancid. I attempted to switch to raw food but he was absolutely repelled by it any thoughts? Could I possibly just have a cat with lifelong runny poo? Thanks!

• Hugs Hugs x 2

• Toa and Ross

Toa and RossGold Lairian Notable Member

Sphynx Bucks:
      $207,235.13
      Ratings:
      +18,523
      Sorry to hear your cat is dealing with chronic diarrhea. It's difficult if you already tried so many different thing. What kind of food are you feeding. Can it be a kind of food allergy? Did you try grain free kibbles and/or kibbles with other ingredients you're feeding now? Food without chicken? My girl Jade came to live with my when she was 2. The breeder told me she always had a soft poop but she was healthy otherwise. After 6 months I changed her food to grain free and now she has solid poops most days and only poop 2 times a day (before it was 6 times).

• Like Like x 1
      • Keightley

KeightleyLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $706.76
        Ratings:
        +15
        I’ve tried multiple types of grain free with different proteins (made sure I tried some with no chicken ingredients at all) and never seemed to make a difference. I always slowly transitioned food as to not bother his tummy further. Even the dang hydrolized protein didn’t work!

• Hugs Hugs x 1
        • Mogwai775

Mogwai775Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
          $336.45
          Ratings:
          +11
          Has your vet advised the use of probiotics? Our sphynx was spayed recently and has had runny poop every since! We took her to the vet and came back with something to put in her food and an oral medication - both of which have worked in reducing her bathroom trips, and the topography of her poop.

• Hugs Hugs x 1
          • Yoda mom

Yoda momModerator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
            $95,318.41
            Ratings:
            +10,448
            • Butterflies
            • Red Sphynx
            • Pink Sphynx
            • Black Sphynx
            Was your baby ever tested - fecal test for giardia? Or lesser known or talked about tritrichomonas ?

Sphynx cat with Diarrhea (Giardia)

Tritrichomonas foetus (Diarrhea)

Also , fwiw, I took my crew off grain free and their poos are consistently solid
            I feed them Nutrisource cat and kitten in the blue bag (no recalls) - I get at k9cuisine site

it has chicken in it and I am more than thrilled how well they "do" on it
            Never any issues - I was avoiding chicken but was at wits end so gave Nutrisource a try

(Was your kitty diagnosed with a chicken allergy ? My vet personally told me not allergy test - bcz it would give too many false positives - told me to do a food trial ) so I went off grain free and viola! No more poo issues

@Mogwai775 , how long ago was the spay? My Toby was a little off after his neuter - think it was from stress from surgery ?
            Afte a week he was bsck to normal

Positive vibes for Miso
            and Yaddle

So,e me,bears have good results feeding natural balance pea amd Duck ( they did have a recent formula change )

Last edited: May 8, 2018
          • Condo commando

Condo commandoV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
            $15,645.68
            Ratings:
            +1,244
            Have you ever had your baby x-rayed to make sure there's no abnormality with his GI system?

• Like Like x 1
            • Mogwai775

Mogwai775Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
              $336.45
              Ratings:
              +11
              @Yoda mom - It was about 2 weeks with no changes in poo topography. The vet suggested that perhaps her intestinal flora was off. Being that the meds worked, I think he was right on!

• Hugs Hugs x 1