Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

poop oozing/leaking during sleep

Nicky12

Lairian
Hello, I am a new skin baby mom and my 5 month old sometimes has a small amount of runny poop ooze out of her bum when she sleeps/naps. When she is awake this doesn't really happen.
She is on a raw food diet of mainly duck. Her energy levels are normal from what I can tell and she is eating and drinking fine. I have started to add pumpkin to her diet to see if maybe it is just lack of firm poops.
Is this a normal thing for young Sphynx? or is it diet related? any suggestions for me in this department :D
Thank you so much in advance!

Sheldon13

Staff member
Well I don’t think that is normal, no, but I don’t think it’s a big scary thing either. Pumpkin could definitely do some good. I would also try adding another protein or two in the mix. Duck is really high in fat and you may find that can cause poop issues when give. Often. I would try to make it no more than 3-4 meals per week. (Same goes for lamb)

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Nicky12

Lairian
Have you discussed with your vet yet? I’d try to get pics of the residual amount and share with your vet.
I have asked her vet but did not have photos with me to show. The vet said since it was not all the time I should monitor it and see how she does after a couple of weeks. I will try and get some pictures to show her vet next time we go. Thank you for the suggestion!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Great. I know with nakeds there is often dry poop that seems to hang on unlike furry babies, so it might just be normal and you are only seeing when it is still wet.

Nicky12

Lairian
Well I don’t think that is normal, no, but I don’t think it’s a big scary thing either. Pumpkin could definitely do some good. I would also try adding another protein or two in the mix. Duck is really high in fat and you may find that can cause poop issues when give. Often. I would try to make it no more than 3-4 meals per week. (Same goes for lamb)

Thank you so much for the advice!
What other proteins would be gentler on the stomach?
I know it is a balance of figuring out what flows with each tummy and it isn't the same for every Sphynx but I am like a sponge with any advice on what tends to work best.
Thank you again I really appreciate it!!

Sheldon13

Staff member
Thank you so much for the advice!
What other proteins would be gentler on the stomach?
I know it is a balance of figuring out what flows with each tummy and it isn't the same for every Sphynx but I am like a sponge with any advice on what tends to work best.
Thank you again I really appreciate it!!

Rabbit and venison are the most lean. And usually not allergens. Turkey is pretty lean too. Chicken is cheap but it’s a common allergy so just make sure she can handle it.

If you are going to go with one I would choose rabbit. It is the favorite of cats in most studies on preferences.

Nicky12

Lairian
Hello, I am a new skin baby mom and my 5 month old sometimes has a small amount of runny poop ooze out of her bum when she sleeps/naps. When she is awake this doesn't really happen.
She is on a raw food diet of mainly duck. Her energy levels are normal from what I can tell and she is eating and drinking fine. I have started to add pumpkin to her diet to see if maybe it is just lack of firm poops.
Is this a normal thing for young Sphynx? or is it diet related? any suggestions for me in this department :D
Thank you so much in advance!
I got a picture today, it isn’t a lot but enough to get on the blanket and up her tail

Attachments

• CDA407BF-FAF3-4332-B91F-42684AE2AFA2.jpeg
    CDA407BF-FAF3-4332-B91F-42684AE2AFA2.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 097BC97B-6FBC-45D9-81DE-7C7ACE1B0C0A.jpeg
    097BC97B-6FBC-45D9-81DE-7C7ACE1B0C0A.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 25

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Nicky12 If you provide that poo sample to the vet they can test it. Usually kittens are put on a course of Flagyl. Also I’ve found leakage is from a food allergy.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Yes definitely. Frequently from food allergies.

A poo sample to the vet is a good idea too.

Back