Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Poop question

Janusz

Lairian
Anyone have suggestions/advice for a Sphynx who all of a sudden has loose stool? My Nooshie has had loose stool for awhile now. I brought him to the vet and they gave flagyl and tested his stool for parasites which was negative. I started him on FortiFlora about 3 weeks ago. He eats Stella and Chewy freeze dried chicken two feedings and one feeding of Fromm kibble the duck flavor. I have also tried pumpkin and that clears it up temporarily. Perhaps I should take him back to the vet, however, money is rather tight at the moment. He is acting normal.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I was going to suggest pumpkin but you tried that. If it isn’t a parasite or infection of some kind it may be diet related. Have you tried changing foods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Janusz

Lairian
Not-i have not changed food. I suppose a good question would be if it is possible a cat could become intolerant of a food they have been on for a year.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Janusz they can develop food intolerances

Just to share ,a few years ago I switched my crew from Fromm game bird recipe
To Nutrisource cat and kitten food grain inclusive no recalls , advertised for gut health ...
“guarantees you won't have any litterbox issues”

I can tell you and all have solid poos , even my IBD kitty

You can also check with the manufactures if they have had any recent formula changes ..
I have had this happen with my dogs foods ... didn’t know til I read the labels

Positve vibes sent
Following for updates
Head smooches to Nooshie

Last edited:

Janusz

Lairian
@Janusz they can develop food intolerances

Just to share ,a few years ago I switched my crew from Fromm game bird recipe
To Nutrisource cat and kitten food grain inclusive no recalls , advertised for gut health ...
“guarantees you won't have any litterbox issues”

I can tell you and all have solid poos , even my IBD kitty

You can also check with the manufactures if they have had any recent formula changes ..
I have had this happen with my dogs foods ... didn’t know til I read the labels

Positve vibes sent
Following for updates
Head smooches to Nooshie

This is great advice. I never thought about perhaps a change in formula. I will look into this. As far as the food you suggest, do you feed only kibble or a canned as well?

I posted some time ago when I got the new girl (Mooshka LaRue) and she was having a hard time adjusting. So fast forward a few months and she is doing better. She does not like when Janusz plays rough (she gets super pissed and runs), but for the most part they get along. They sleep under covers with me or lie on my lap together daily. I honestly think she is just your typical female in that she gets fussy. Haha

Here is a recent pic.

Attachments

• E7879DC4-E8AA-4BC6-ADCE-DE5A4CE92F62.jpeg
    E7879DC4-E8AA-4BC6-ADCE-DE5A4CE92F62.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 42

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Janusz omg Adorable picture! A great update on them getting along ! Head smooches!
Lol yes my girl is the prissy priss fussy she decides where her “underlings “ can sit next to me or to her on her terms when she wants them to grom her and play . So funny ...

As for the food , my one boy is a dry food addict ... he runs and complains with any and I mean any wet food! Lol
When I adopted him and his brother , his brother had a UTI and refused all vet sold Urinary food .
So I I finally found a canned Urinary food he would eat with similar phosphorus etc.

Feeding . After so many food trials with my crew amd worried about my dry food addicts Urinary health . They used to eat Acana but new USA formulas they had loose stool amd greasy greasy brown skin .

This is my feed and go with no issues . Each kitty is different . I wasn’t crazy about the hills but heck we are not the vet and all is well .
I do not feed packaged treats . They wouldn’t even eat Pure bites treats! Geez
Instead I use dental kibble and a Urinary kibble as treats .

-I free feed Nutrisource cat and kitten

-Hills Urinary hairball kibble as treats (hairball formulas I read are beneficial for poo issues ‘
I figured my dry food addict could benefit from Urinary kibble )

-Hills oral care kibble and rotate vet sold hills T/D Dental kibble as treats

-proplan Urinary focus chicken canned food - shared can a day .
I cringed at the ingredients at first but It is very similar to vet sold Urinary canned
and have never had another UTI here.

All 4 nakids I can feed now and go for years now with no issues and it doesn’t break the bank . So this is just my little routine of feeding what works for my crew.

Each kitty is different and ultimately you will find what works best for your babies .

Let me know if the manufacturers changed any ingredients .
Years ago holistic select dog food got me packaging .. dog had poo issues and viola
Peeked at the old bag amd new and saw the difference .

I haven’t heard of any changes with stella and chewys (my dogs loved it at first but got bored )
Or Fromm but always worth checking

Attachments

• BD679DB1-E6AF-4D84-A684-7F52E5958054.jpeg
    BD679DB1-E6AF-4D84-A684-7F52E5958054.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 31
  • AC731A7E-6830-423D-937F-F6F5738131EE.jpeg
    AC731A7E-6830-423D-937F-F6F5738131EE.jpeg
    7.2 KB · Views: 19
  • EB965F61-CF44-49A4-AC6B-373E5294E8EA.jpeg
    EB965F61-CF44-49A4-AC6B-373E5294E8EA.jpeg
    13 KB · Views: 17
  • 27CE196B-6565-4AE2-9E90-28A538F884B3.png
    27CE196B-6565-4AE2-9E90-28A538F884B3.png
    33 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Janusz I just googled and saw Fromm gold dog food was changed last year
So wondering if they did any changes in kitty GF or gold formulas?

To share , my IBD Bengal did fine on Fromm gamebird recipe if you are looking at their other formulas to try

Janusz

Lairian
@Janusz I just googled and saw Fromm gold dog food was changed last year
So wondering if they did any changes in kitty GF or gold formulas?

To share , my IBD Bengal did fine on Fromm gamebird recipe if you are looking at their other formulas to try

I sent an email to them asking if the formula has changed. I will check out the gamebird. I ultimately would like to get everyone off of the Stella & Chewy as it is sooooooo expensive. I put the kitties on the raw because the breeder started them off on homemade raw.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Janusz the dog breeder I adopted from feed Stella’s amd Chewy s . I started it at first ..
For my crew and their size and amount needed I had to adjust and feed what works best for my wallet amd them to keep it real . Especially since I no longer had the same job .

I have cut my crews food bill in half and have less trips to the vet .. .go figure
Feeding what works here. Lol when my mom said the we’re eating better than me i had to laugh she was right .

Is the fortiflora helping ?

Janusz

Lairian
@Janusz the dog breeder I adopted from feed Stella’s amd Chewy s . I started it at first ..
For my crew and their size and amount needed I had to adjust and feed what works best for my wallet amd them to keep it real . Especially since I no longer had the same job .

I have cut my crews food bill in half and have less trips to the vet .. .go figure
Feeding what works here. Lol when my mom said the we’re eating better than me i had to laugh she was right .

Is the fortiflora helping ?
I am in the process of changing careers and too will have a reduction in salary. I worked as a paralegal in divorce law for 20 years and now I am in a position financially to go into (hopefully) veterinary assisting. I am set to take an online NAVTA approved course 6/3/19! I will most likely make 1/4 of my salary, but I do not care as working for money hungry/greedy divorce attorneys (no mean to offend any that may be reading) has reached it’s breaking point. I am simply referring to the ones i have worked for. Haha

To answer your question, I just started the fortiflora maybe three weeks ago. I will more than likely try to transition my kiddos off of the raw/fromm and into something that will hopefully agree with them. I would like for everyone to eat the same thing-but for now, my main concern is finding something highly nutritious for Janusz that agrees with him. :)

Shmeeps

Lairian
I am feeding Stella and Chewy chicken and Vital Essential chicken nibs. The nibs are hard as heck like a dry kibble but are freeze dried raw. I float them in water and my Buck eats it and the broth it makes. You can feed it dry but I like him to have plenty of water. Both foods have the most limited ingredients I could find. I'd cut out the Fromm for a while because it has so many other ingredients and see if the loose stool eases up. If it does then It's prob one of the many ingredients in the Fromm.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Ellie gets canned food now, but she always has access to the Vital Essentials freeze dried food in case she gets hungry throughout the day or I get home late. She loves it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I tried the freeze dried raw in the beginning but the price isn't realistic with 3 cats. Maybe for a snack. Now I feed homemade raw. If I ever run out I go with canned food because it still provides water and also it has a lot less carbs. Kibble is very high carbs even on a dry matter basis.

Rotating foods is a good idea too.....nothing crazy but 2 or 3 different things is good not only for variety but also because the if one food happens to be too low or too high in something, it balances out.

Last edited:

Janusz

Lairian
So I contacted both Fromm and C&S today and was told there have been no recent ingredient changes, however, the rep at Fromm gave me some helpful information. She said “overfeeding” as in trying to increase the amount of food too quickly could cause loose stools. This actually does make sense as I have been trying to put weight on Noosh since adding our second Sphynx, Mooshka LaRue, about three months ago. When we first got her, this is when the diarrhea started but Noosh also stopped eating at that time. This is why I brought him to the vet and they put him on flagyl and tested for parasites. The vet thought Nooshie was reacting to the stress of adding his new sister even if he did not act like it bothered him. I will try to cut down of the S&C and see if that makes a difference.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I stopped feeding the Fromm, gave more pumpkin and his poop has firmed up. I only feed him the Stella & Chewy.

I took a new pic of Mooshka LaRue that I thought i would share.

Great picture!

So it's very good you got the problem resolved. Now the thing is, do you really need the pumpkin? I would take that away and see if he's fine with just getting rid of the Fromm food. My guess is that was the culprit.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Janusz hugs n head smooches !
I tagged you in an earlier thread
Small world I believe my girl is from the same breeder .. recognized the sire name as wellness as the adorable pic

Keep us updated

Janusz

Lairian
Hello-

Nooshie’s poop seems ok after stopping the pumpkin, however, I really want to try to incorporate a kibble again in his diet. The S&C is just waaaay to pricey right now. Besides, he still needs to put on some weight. I understand now that perhaps I tried feeding him too much too fast. I am trying to research high quality foods that are easy on the tummy and maybe a bit higher in calories.

Suggestions?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Janusz I used to feed Acana but the new USA.p formulas did not sit well with my crew and were grease pits!

Years ago I switched them to grain inclusive Nutrisource cat and kitten food , no recalls , lesser known .. not in big box stores in my area

It worked wonders for my IBD kitty
Advertised for gut health . I can confirm works
I like it is low ash too

they love it even my picky Batman

Claire Bare loves it
Solid poos , clear skin, amd can feed and go
I get at K9Cuisine online some states no tax and autoship discount.
Smaller company . Margaret answers phone and is a pleasure to deal with
The big box stores here don’t carry it so I have to get online and it is very reasonably priced.
(I used to feed s&c to Aussies but got waaay to expensive )

Hugs n head smooches
Let us know what you end up feeding them ..
It’s definitely helpful to all members

Attachments

• DF2D5D89-5873-4E2B-B34D-7853E4386104.jpeg
    DF2D5D89-5873-4E2B-B34D-7853E4386104.jpeg
    20.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back