Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Pooping outside litter box?

4Beans

Lairian
My almost 2 year old neutered male started pooping outside the box this past week. Poop is normal. He’s eating/drinking well. He will pee in the box but will pick a spot near the box (in our bathroom) and poop on the floor. I caught him yesterday thinking about it and placed him in the box and he went. Today I caught him after the fact and took him back in to the bathroom to show him I wasn’t pleased and he buried his face in my chest. So he fully knows it’s wrong.

We have 2 boxes. He rarely uses the second box. He has a brother 6 months older with no issues.

we switched litter 3 + weeks ago but he was using it fine until last week. Litter is scooped multiple times a day, entire box is emptied and washed twice a week.

he had his check up at the vet a month ago and is totally healthy.

any ideas why this might be happening or how to stop it?

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You could try filling the second litter box with the original litter and see if he still goes outside the box or not? At least that's how I see eliminating a litter issue.

Yoda mom

Staff member
agree with a litter box with his old litter

keep us updated.. surely frustrating... be sure to clean the area with an enzyme cleaner

you can also reinforce good behavior when he exists the box after going , verbal praise and a treat.
I still do it randomly... worked for a stud bengal I adopted a long time ago.

sounds like he may have a disdain for the new litter? is it scented and the same texture?
some kittiies dislike scented litters,

Yoda mom

Staff member
@4Beans, just brainstorming here... any chance he is upset with any neighs kitties visiting and peeking in the windows?
we have seen that cause out of box issues too

Yoda mom

Staff member
@4Beans yah ! great update! I know my tall boys love the bigger litter boxes too! hope you can share the brand/pic of the litterbox. will be useful to membership too:)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
So happy to see this update. They can be finicky...kudos to you for trying everything to make them happy.

Back