Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Pooping outside the box

MikkiJean

Lairian
I've got a lot to catch up on because I haven't been able to be around lately. Right now I'm just cleaning the apartment everything I had to do today is already done besides that.

So here I am, cleaning, and I smell something awful, knowing it could only be one of Louis' poops. I think someone who doesn't have to ability to smell would snarl their nose at his poop. I get the oust out to spray and what do you know, he pooped right outside his litter box... again.

I don't get it. We've never had this problem before, but the past few days he poops outside the box every time. Doesn't matter if it's spotless or not. He's not peeing outside of the box, just pooping.

I had to take him to the emergency animal hospital last night because he was acting really strange. Wouldn't let you touch him, especially his back left leg area. He hadn't eaten or drank anything in over 8 hours (which is really unusual for him.. he's a fatty lol). He wouldn't move, walk around nothing. The little I could get him to walk around he appeared to be limping, he tried to jump on the couch (which is really low to the ground) and he couldn't.
$240 all they could tell me is he had a fever from an unknown origin. Needless to say that was frustrating. But where is all of this odd behavior coming from? I'm at a loss of what to do:Sweat:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm well because he has a temp I would take him to your vet sometimes the er vets do not have great answers unless it is trama. I would say if he is big? he could be turning the wrong way and pooping out side the box because he does not fit well? Deejay was doing this and I bought a huge tuperware tote and cut a hole and this is big enough for him and he now poops in the box. Also it could be Lexi? Is he mad about her? and doing this to get back?

Last edited by a moderator:

MikkiJean

Lairian
Hmmm well because he has a temp I would take him to your vet sometimes the er vets do not have great answers unless it is trama. I would say if he is big? he could be turning the wrong way and pooping out side the box because he does not fit well? Deejay was doing this and I bought a huge tuperware tote and cut a hole and this is big enough for him and he now poops in the box. Also it could be Lexi? Is he mad about her? and doing this to get back?

He is a bigger boy but we've had this litter box for months with no problems. Him and lexi are separated right now because I didn't want him picking on her while she was sick and also didn't want him getting sick.
Nothing showed up in his bloodwork when I took him to the ER vet.

I think a visit to your regular vet is needed asap.
Unfortunately, that's going to have to wait until I get paid, because I am broke.

Bella07

Banned
I am so sorry to hear this. I can't offer any medical advice, but I sure can keep your family in my thoughts and prayers, good luck.

laurame

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Just a few thoughts......have you changed litter brands recently and also have how many litter boxes do you have? My cats started doing that when I changed litter brands of all things. Tidy Cat is a no, no in my house. Scoop Away all the way!! :) Hope this helps.

Back