Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

themodifieddoll

Lairian
So I've had my sphynx kitten around two months now, and up until recently there have been little to no issues with her
But a few days ago, she actually pooped on my roommate while she was holding her, and while cleaning her litter box this morning, I found feces on the wall near her box - I'm just wondering if this is just her way of demanding attention from us, castoff from her covering it with litter, or if I should take her to the vet?

Also, if anyone has any helpful hints as to how to discourage kittens/cats from climbing legs/up people's backs, I would be immensely grateful

Yoda mom

Staff member
@themodifieddoll welcome to the lair family - what is your adorable babies name I see in your avatar pic?

Healing vibes sent ... I personally would take her to the vet for a wellness check and Bring along a stool sample to rule out and parasites and rule out Giardia , tritrichomonas , etc

I would check around your home to see if she ingested any plants or people food ?

Have you changed food ? Added treats?

As for training - I train mine like a dog - I say "off" and use kibble as a training treat and train to a "place"
A blanket , a cat tree , etc lots of positve praise amd redirect behavior

Kittens really are especially active and exploring . Sphynx are prone to riding on shoulders , hopping up on backs-
I would redirect to a place you choose.
Mine will actually sit and wait on their spot -

I know others will chime in with advice and suggestions

We all learn and grow together here - we share our experiences for ideas to ask your vet.

Will she eat a little 100% pure pumpkin that helps with poo issues?
Being that explosive I definitely recommend a vet visit
Always best to get Kitty to your vet sooner than later for proper diagnosis and medication
With any poo issues or illness , you need to caution that. Kitties can become dehydrated which can be serious.
Please keep us updated - positive vibes sent

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you
@Yoda mom gave you great advice.

The Vet can do a fecal, if you don't want to
bother with it. Keep us updated, about your baby.

themodifieddoll

Lairian
@themodifieddoll welcome to the lair family - what is your adorable babies name I see in your avatar pic?

Healing vibes sent ... I personally would take her to the vet for a wellness check and Bring along a stool sample to rule out and parasites and rule out Giardia , tritrichomonas , etc

I would check around your home to see if she ingested any plants or people food ?

Have you changed food ? Added treats?

As for training - I train mine like a dog - I say "off" and use kibble as a training treat and train to a "place"
A blanket , a cat tree , etc lots of positve praise amd redirect behavior

Kittens really are especially active and exploring . Sphynx are prone to riding on shoulders , hopping up on backs-
I would redirect to a place you choose.
Mine will actually sit and wait on their spot -

I know others will chime in with advice and suggestions

We all learn and grow together here - we share our experiences for ideas to ask your vet.

Will she eat a little 100% pure pumpkin that helps with poo issues?
Being that explosive I definitely recommend a vet visit
Always best to get Kitty to your vet sooner than later for proper diagnosis and medication
With any poo issues or illness , you need to caution that. Kitties can become dehydrated which can be serious.
Please keep us updated - positive vibes sent

I'm going to be taking her to see a vet before I go to work tomorrow - I have to set up her spay appointment anyway so best to kill two birds with one stone

Thank you for the advice on all fronts - her name is Lady Godiva, before I forget to mention it, and I'm definitely going to take a crack at positive reinforcement towards her cat tree; I don't mind her sitting on my back or shoulders or chest, but she's been scaling my roommates and their legs are paying for it and that needs to stop

Her stool hasn't been loose until recently so I'm a bit worried - hopefully it's nothing overly serious

themodifieddoll

Lairian
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you
@Yoda mom gave you great advice.

The Vet can do a fecal, if you don't want to
bother with it. Keep us updated, about your baby.
Will do - I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty worried since her health has been very consistent thus far
I'd feel terrible if there's been an issue I've overlooked somehow

Yoda mom

Staff member
@themodifieddoll , your a great sphynx mum
Positve vibes for Lady Godiva's vet visit today

Keep positive - we look forward to positive updates

Also -Please be sure to confirm with vet * NO Ketamine anesthesia for surgery -
it can havee a rebound effect on the heart if there is any underlying unknown heart issues.
I have the charts marked "No Ketamine"
I ask if they can use "ISO" Isoflurane instead

If you are considering microchipping ( personal choice )
you can ask your vet to microchip during spay surgery

Lots of head smooches sent to Lady Godiva !

themodifieddoll

Lairian
UPDATE: Sorry for not updating sooner - was caught up in helping my mother while she's recovering from surgery
Turns out this entire scenario was entirely my fault
I was over feeding her without knowing it and her baby blues were wayyyy bigger than her baby stomach and it lead to intestinal distress on her part [I feel just awful]
I've cut down how much I'm giving her in a day and her feces are nice and solid again and she hasn't had any further accidents

Still working on the leg climbing thing but that's a one day at a time affair

Thank you for all the advice - she's scheduled to be spayed the 17th of January [with isoflurane anesthesia]

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Glad to hear of the intestinal improvement, @themodifieddoll . That's great.

As for leg climbing... I will say this... usually once they've grown a certain size they know how to jump directly to a shoulder without using you like a climbing tree. However, I agree with @Yoda mom -- she has some of the best advice on training.