Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Poops

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hello all!
I know this has been discussed before, so please forgive me. I did try to look for an answer, but couldn't find the exact answer I needed. Kreacher has some pretty bad Diarreah. I'm not sure why cause he has been on the same food for over a year now, and they do not get any table scraps or anything. I know you guys have said to give crushed pumpkin to them to help solidify thier poops. My question is...where do I get crushed pumpkin, and exactly how much should I give him? Also I have three kitties..would it be ok to give this to all three? If not any tips on getting just the one cat to eat this? Any help would be appreciated!! Sorry for the duplicated question :(

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello all!
I know this has been discussed before, so please forgive me. I did try to look for an answer, but couldn't find the exact answer I needed. Kreacher has some pretty bad Diarreah. I'm not sure why cause he has been on the same food for over a year now, and they do not get any table scraps or anything. I know you guys have said to give crushed pumpkin to them to help solidify thier poops. My question is...where do I get crushed pumpkin, and exactly how much should I give him? Also I have three kitties..would it be ok to give this to all three? If not any tips on getting just the one cat to eat this? Any help would be appreciated!! Sorry for the duplicated question :(

I believe I remember seeing to give one teaspoon of pumpkin. And pumpkin can be purchased at the grocery store in a can, although I think someone said there was a pumpkin shortage, so that may not be possible. I'm not sure about giving it to the other kitties but I would assume it would be OK. I'm considering giving it to Butterball just to see what happens. His poops are OK but could be better.

If there is a pumpkin shortage, it shouldn't be for for much longer. Pumpkins will be harvested within the next few months. Good luck with your poop issues.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes pumpkin is hard to find this time of year, but some have found it on amazon. Also check pet stores, some of them sell Fruitables, it is canned pumpkin for pets, but it costs a lot more. I don't think there is a limit on how much they can have, it won't hurt them and they can all share. We mix Gummi's pumpkin with plain probiotic yogurt and she adores it. The yogurt may help you also! Good luck, I know that poo issues are horrible! If the diarrhea continues you may consult with a vet to find the cause, as the yogurt/pumpkin only treats the symptoms. It took Gummi two different vets, many fecals, and months of meds to finally clear it up! Ask your vet about metronidazole, that is what finally worked for us

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks so much! I really felt bad cause I know this was discussed over many times, I just got tired of searching for the right info. I was not able to find pure crushed pumpkin anywhere...which is why I asked lol..I figured maybe it's from a special store or something. I guess I will keep looking. I'm glad it's ok to give to all three..cause it's really hard to give something to just one of the kitties, since they all switch food bowls like musical chairs! lol I will search and try, and let you guys know. Thanks a bunch guys!!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well as you know Mo has had his fair share of bowel issues! He's had all kinds of foods, meds, pumpkin, supplements. You name it, Mo's tried it!

But over the past few months I've stumbled over someting thats really seems to work! Probiotics(Or prebiotics which have a longer shelf life work in a slightly different way, not live, but very good)! My local supermarket actually makes their cat food and milk with added prebioics to help encourage healthy gut flora and digestion and it really works for mo! I couldn't believe it, Mo has been so much better.

You can actually buy prebiotic drinks especially for cats too, they are a bit pricey but work the same as the little drinks we have. You should try a search for them on the net.

Try the pumpkin first, but the prebiotics are always a back up if you wanted to try it!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I feel so bad to hear people are having trouble finding pumpkin in their stores. It is readily available here! Maybe I need to start an online canned pumpkin business - "Pumpkin for Poops"...

LOL I say go for it - businesses have been started for stranger things! And been successful too.

No shortage here either. Maybe we will have to start a "Pumpkin for Poops" campaign to help our Sphynx Lair friends out.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Sam is correct about the prebiotics :ThumbsUp: it also comes in a powder form and you can sprinkle it of the food and mix it up. The only thing with that is it takes a few days to start working and the pumkin is instant, since you can not find pumkin I would start on this.

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hmm..sounds like prebiotics might be a better idea than pumpkin...especially since I can't seem to find any. Do these things literally say "Prebiotics" on them? Trying to figure out exactly what I can get with prebiotics in it. Are there specific brand names? Can I get these at walmart, or petsmart or something? Or do I have to get it from the vet?

Back