Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Poor Chloe

Teri*D

Lairian
Friday nights I work till after midnight and get home around 1, last night I left around 4 to go to work and when my son got home apparently around 6 he got ready to leave for the weekend which he does every weekend! Well apparently he opened our little hall closet to get something and chloe being the little nosy cat she is got into the closet and he closed it. When I got home around 1 in the morning I heard some rambling going on upstairs so I started calling her and I kept hearing her meow so I panic looking for her and kept calling her, she kept meowing until I found her and opened the door! She was stuck in this little closet for hours :Sad:

All I could think of was what if I had left for my trip and he would of been gone for that whole weekend, she could of died from dehydration or starved to death :Cry:

Now Im really worried to leave her!

Anything you can think of to prevent this from happening, especially while im gone for 3 weeks? Even though Chloe is originally my son's I think he feels like i'm the one who takes care of her 99% of the time and he's more careless!

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Some boarding places have cat rooms, where they can wander about, do some research in your area you might find one you like or even a pet sitter. Ask you local vet clinics if they know of any sittters, perhaps even one of the vet techs would like to stop by and visit with Chloe a couple of times a day for a small fee.

tessblack

Banned
Yeah getting someone to check in everyday is a great idea. There are cat sitting services if you do not have family close. When we travel for work I have a cousin that comes in everyday to flush the toilet, play and do all the food things. Also I get my husbands mom to come over and hang with them every few days.

I am always worried that I am going to trap them somewhere before I leave so I always give them a couple treats before I leave so I know where they are.

I get really paranoid about that kinda thing. I think I go overboard.

Teri*D

Lairian
Unfortunately the closest relative I have is 40 min away so it will be kind of hard for them to drop by. If i have to I will make my son call me right before he leaves for the weekend, this way I will know he checked on her and she isn't locked in a room somewhere!

She will be ok to be by herself on the weekend, right?

Good grief, I just want to go to Hawaii and sit on the beach with my mi ti's and enjoy myself, lol.

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If you tell him he must have a visual on her before leaving that should prevent it. I always do a head count and visual before leaving.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Usually sphynx owners have people beating down their door to pet sit!!! LOL. Do you have any friends who will take her? I find sphynx get lonely and I think a whole weekend alone is tough. I have tons of friends that fight over getting to babysit Nofuratu....maybe instead of having someone check on her in your house, you could bring her to a friends place for the length of your vacation. It will only take a day or two for kitty to get used to a different house...and may be easier than being alone.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I would A. Grill my son for a hour for being too caught up in his own world to double check on her prior to leaving and B. maybe seek a friend to look after her while your gone. Someone you trust so you can relax while on vaca. I'm sorry chloe was locked up in the closet. I always have to watch out for Snuffie when going into my closet because she did get shut in there one day. Luckily I noticed her missing after 10 minutes and found her but I'm glad Chloe is okay!! Goodluck!

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
One of the justifications I used to get my Rovio was that I can use it to watch my house...

Back