Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Poorly Sphynx Cat (Pancreatitis or ...?)

VeritySphynx

Lairian
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the group - my 4 year old sphynx cat is very poorly at the moment.
It all started 2 weeks ago on sunday when she threw up her lunch (I just thought she had ate it too fast as she has done in the past). She looked to be improving but on Wednesday we decided to take her to the vet. She had some high blood levels which the vet linked to pancreatitis. They gave her steroids and antibiotics and did a scan and saw the pancreas was enlarged. She started to go yellow (jaundice) - she seemed to improve on the saturday and then go downhill on the sunday. The vet then said she might have transient diabetes as her glucose levels had increased. She was not imrpvoing she had to have a feeding tube as she couldnt eat her food (she wanted to but couldnt). She is now at the hospital but they did a scan and saw nodules on her pancreas and have now done a biopsy for cancer!!! I'm unsure whether to be really worried that it is cancer because her ages shows it is very unlikely for pancreatic cancer. It is a big worry at the moment!!

I was wondering if anyone had been through something similar??

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I m so sorry to hear your baby is ill and hope any member with experience will chime in. Please keep us updated as your info will help others in the future. Positive vibes are sent.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I have not heard of such a thing at this age, no. I do have a couple thoughts though.

1) Typically jaundice occurs with liver issues, not pancreas. I’m not saying it CAN’T occur with pancreatic issues, just that I know it’s usually the liver. So you might want to ask that question.

2) Often times there can be a virus with a transient issue and cysts can form on organs and cause a lot of havoc. I think it’s still worth a check for cancer if that is what your vet is seeing, but I also think it’s worth getting a second opinion.

3) Sometimes illnesses can present in strange ways. I think I’m addition to testing for cancer, it might be worth it to test for FIP. FIP would be much more common in younger cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sending lots of healing vibes. Have no experience with this so hope otherscan give advice

VeritySphynx

Lairian
I have not heard of such a thing at this age, no. I do have a couple thoughts though.

1) Typically jaundice occurs with liver issues, not pancreas. I’m not saying it CAN’T occur with pancreatic issues, just that I know it’s usually the liver. So you might want to ask that question.

2) Often times there can be a virus with a transient issue and cysts can form on organs and cause a lot of havoc. I think it’s still worth a check for cancer if that is what your vet is seeing, but I also think it’s worth getting a second opinion.

3) Sometimes illnesses can present in strange ways. I think I’m addition to testing for cancer, it might be worth it to test for FIP. FIP would be much more common in younger cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
Sadly my little baby passed away the Monday at 3am in the morning.
She was the best baby ever but sadly her time had come - she will forever be missed.
I think it was pancreatic cancer sadly she was too weak for them to properly check.