Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

positive vibes for my Sam dog

Yoda mom

Staff member
Well well many of you know Sam is my million dollar dog
Most recent put on Apoquel amd phenobarbital this year for severe allergies and seizures
The other day he was at the vet for his shots and Pheno level blood work (came back fine yah )
He always has something going on with him ugh poor boy
He was prescribed Flagyl

Now he as figures ,, had a reaction to it
Classic Flagyl side effects :* now loss of coordination , a bit wobbly , loss of appetite , lethargic , gagging intermittent cough
All side effects :( called the vet monitoring him )
Hope the Flagyl clears his system soon!
This poor dog in the past even had a rare horrid side effect to Benedryl! Vet said benedrylbcan be funky in pets systems sometimes
So no more Benadryl for my crew ever again

So please keep my million dollar baby Sam (actually just turned 6 Christmas Day) in your thoughts

the kitties have taken over his bed so he is napping on the floor
Usually they share with him

Attachments

• A1AEE3E3-7948-4D5E-81B7-1A412E266CCA.jpeg
    A1AEE3E3-7948-4D5E-81B7-1A412E266CCA.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 20

Yoda mom

Staff member
Thank you all !
He is the kindest sweetest soul
Unfortunately he was from a backyard breeder - always something going on with him

He was a gift to help heal my heart after my my Max got his wings at age 13 on a Christmas Eve At home in my arms -
Sam amd his brother were born the next morning

Today I got him to eat ! Albeit slowly Yah!
I made a food topper with Weruva Venison kibble , Water amd Iceland pure sardine and anchovie oil

His is stil wobbly and not all himself just wants to rest his head in my hands and cuddle
Thanks for the all the positive vibes ! I am keeping his vet updated

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Catzzzmeow thank you for checking
Well I am literally washing his new K9 ballistic dog bed as we speak
Flagyl definitely doesn’t agree with him

He did eat this morning after bribing him with some Weruva venison kibble I made into slop as a little topper

Now he doesn’t want his seizure pills I hide in cream cheese bcz he associates it with smelly Flagyl pills
So I had to wrap his seizure pills In cream cheese rolled in kibble mush
Luckily he is very easy to pill manually if need be

Vet said Flagyl May take some time to get out of his system
I swear he is allergic to everthing !
Never had a rottie with so many allergic reactions to meds

Thanks for the positve vibes

alandsim

Lairian
@Catzzzmeow thank you for checking
Well I am literally washing his new K9 ballistic dog bed as we speak
Flagyl definitely doesn’t agree with him

He did eat this morning after bribing him with some Weruva venison kibble I made into slop as a little topper

Now he doesn’t want his seizure pills I hide in cream cheese bcz he associates it with smelly Flagyl pills
So I had to wrap his seizure pills In cream cheese rolled in kibble mush
Luckily he is very easy to pill manually if need be

Vet said Flagyl May take some time to get out of his system
I swear he is allergic to everthing !
Never had a rottie with so many allergic reactions to meds

Thanks for the positve vibes

I wrap my dogs seizure pills in (no xylitol or anything poisonous) peanut butter! He drools and licks his lips when he hears a pill bottle now. He also loves coconut oil and would eat the whole jar if I let him, if you need alternative spreads :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@alandsim lol will have to break out coconut oil!
Thanks for the reminder for all that use peanut butter to hide pills to read label and make sure no xylitol
He got wise to creamy peanut butter !
He does love coconut oil! Thanks

Btw how long has your dog been on seizure meds? Is it phenobarbital ?
His pheno level blood check come bsckback good in therapeutic level
But this is all new to me this year
Thanks for your help

He didn’t have a seizure until I switched his food from Acana to earthborn meadowfeast- two days on the food amd he had cluster grand mal seizures
Company dodmt was the food back but 3 days afterwards they called back and wanted the food to test which was gone by then
Maybe just coincidence but he was on Acana for 5 years and the only thing thst changed was the food

alandsim

Lairian
@alandsim lol will have to break out coconut oil!
Thanks for the reminder for all that use peanut butter to hide pills to read label and make sure no xylitol
He got wise to creamy peanut butter !
He does love coconut oil! Thanks

Btw how long has your dog been on seizure meds? Is it phenobarbital ?
His pheno level blood check come bsckback good in therapeutic level
But this is all new to me this year
Thanks for your help

He didn’t have a seizure until I switched his food from Acana to earthborn meadowfeast- two days on the food amd he had cluster grand mal seizures
Company dodmt was the food back but 3 days afterwards they called back and wanted the food to test which was gone by then
Maybe just coincidence but he was on Acana for 5 years and the only thing thst changed was the food

He has been on them for.... a little over a year? The first thing we put him on was zonisamide and he's still on it. His seizures were gran mal and maybe once every 1 or 2 months and since he's been on it he's only had two and they're much shorter but still gran mal. And no discernible side effects in his case (hard to tell if it makes him drowsy though with what a lazeball he is.)

I was really worried about phenobarbital because it has a reputation for side effects and I was just wary about any meds (because I've never been on any myself and I was just uneducated.) so my vet tech friend told me some people use acupuncture and CBD products to supplement meds and I had those options waiting in my back pocket just in case. We tried zonisamide which I think is a relatively new drug. My vet recommended it because of fewer side effects and because his epilepsy isn't as severe as it could be. If he hadn't improved we would have moved on to something else which may have been pheno.

Since Sam is 6 I would be surprised if he had epilepsy though because my vet said two years is about when it usually shows up! Could depend on the breed. I know very little about it and we just kind of stumbled on this solution.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Thank you everyone for he healing vibes!
After horse size amounts of meds and Flagyl that didn’t agree with him.. I think the Flagyl has finally worked out of his system
feeling much better :)
Sam actually takes his seizure meds and Apoquel in cream cheese again with out me hiding it around moistened kibble !

His tummy must have been bothered by the Flagyl
He chomped on my wood brush pumice !
I had to check pumice he hate is non toxic
Phew - he alwsys keeps me on my toes !

Sheldon13

Staff member
I’m so glad he is taking his meds so well. That can be a big battle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Phew thank goodness its finally worked out of his system and Sam is feeling better. What a silly boy having your pumice as a snack.

Back