Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Possible Heart Murmur

Charlie is 20 weeks now. We had a check up 5 weeks ago when we first brought him home and the vet thought she heard a slight murmur but listened longer and ruled it out. Today he had another check up and the vet took a listen and is certain he may have a murmur. No idea what this means for him. The vet said that we would take another listen at the one year mark.

Has anyone had this experience? Outcome?

I should add - he has zero signs or symptoms. The vet that’s checking him out isn’t our normal vet (I’m not really a fan of hers to be honest), is quite new and has made a few mistakes in our check ups so far (like discussing neutering when he’s already been done, mixing up his files, etc). Personally, I’m not worried, but more curious as to what others may have gone through and if there were signs or symptoms of a murmur.

Annejo12

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My Raphael is 16 months old. Yesterday at her annual check up my vet heard a murmur for the first time. She took an X-ray and we are waiting for the radiologist report to see if it is HCM. There were no symptoms and she is as playful and eats as well as she always has.

Sorry to hear you aren't happy with your vet. I am lucky that my vet is familiar with Sphynx kitties and I am very confident in her.

Good luck with the murmur.

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@4Beans maybe ask your normal vet to listen to heart of Charlie also?
Even it's a heart murmur a kitten can 'outgrow' it and be completly healthy at one year old. And if the heart murmur is still there Charlie can still live a healthy life depending on the stage of the heart murmur.

@4Beans maybe ask your normal vet to listen to heart of Charlie also?
Even it's a heart murmur a kitten can 'outgrow' it and be completly healthy at one year old. And if the heart murmur is still there Charlie can still live a healthy life depending on the stage of the heart murmur.
Our regular vet is on maternity leave until October, but as soon as she’s back I will for sure have her see Charlie. I just find this fill in so wishy washy, we seriously talk in circles with no definite answer on anything and she’s constantly recommending treatments that unnecessary. So frustrating.