Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

possible heart murmur :(

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I took Skinderella in for her vet check today (it's required within 72hrs per breeder) and he said she might have a heart murmur. She would not hold still at all so it was diificult but he definately heard something. My heart sank and so many thoughts raced through my haed in the 10 seconds following that news. The ultrasound tech was not in today so we have a follow up appt. on Dec.13th. The breeder said that she scanned both parents and all 4 grandparents but I don't know how this whole heart thing works. Is it still possible for something to be wrong with Skinderella? I could have asked the vet but I was in such shock. Any prayers and info you can give us would be great-Thank You!!!!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

It may go away you never know.
She is to young to scan but you can have it done since the vet heard a murmur.
My Meeko has a heart murmur she has had since she was 3 months old and she is 1o.5 years old now.
Did you tell the breeder what the vet heard?

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It is still possible to have something wrong with her even with parents scanning clear BUT she's only young isn't she? I've heard and read that some kittens have murmurs and it resolves itself.

Don't panic. What did the vet suggest was the next step? Did they want you to bring her back in a month/ whenever and listen again?

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

It may go away you never know.
She is to young to scan but you can have it done since the vet heard a murmur.
My Meeko has a heart murmur she has had since she was 3 months old and she is 1o.5 years old now.
Did you tell the breeder what the vet heard?

I sent her an email about it right before this posting.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

It is true some mumurs do go away.
You would think a vet would have noticed it when she was altered.

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It is still possible to have something wrong with her even with parents scanning clear BUT she's only young isn't she? I've heard and read that some kittens have murmurs and it resolves itself.

Don't panic. What did the vet suggest was the next step? Did they want you to bring her back in a month/ whenever and listen again?

They will re-check her on the 13th and we'll go from there.

Inferno12

Banned
Dont freak out yet (I am saying this because its not happening to me :Dizzy:). Babies can grow out of this and you really dont know too much yet. Wait for the next appointment. I agree that if its something bad, they would have caught it when the did the spay. We are here for you and we are all sending good vibes your way.

gizmo6370

Banned
Not every murmur is hcm....and not even....every murmur is a murmur....
I once went to a radiologist...because the vet heared a murmur....the radiologist didn't hear the murmur and the scan was just fine...
Another example...my brothers dog had a murmur when he was little...when he was just about a year old....the murmur was gone...
Try to relax....take one step at the time....
{hugs} :Smile:

Gizzymom

Banned
Sphynxie, I am so sorry you got this news... but like everyone has said, take it one day at a time... Wait till the 13th and hope for good news. We will be hoping, praying, and sending big purrs your way for you and Skinderella!!

(((hugs))):Smile:

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you everyone! It was just a little shocking getting that "possible news". I will not panic and will take it slow. I want the best for Skinderella and hopefully it's nothing. The breeder is being supportive and said to re-check like we are on the 13th- her vet did not hear the murmur pre-spay and keep her posted.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It's hard not to worry, but try not to let your thoughts get filled with "what ifs".

Once we had a 4 1/2 month old kitten that the vet thought he heard a murmur. He had us come back for a recheck 2 months later but he never heard it again. The cat is now close to 3. Hopefully Skinderella has a similar transient kitten murmur.

Oh I am so sorry to read this. Not because I necessarily thing there is something wrong with Skinderella but because I know how much you must be worried. Just bringing home a kitten myself, I know my emotions would take over my logic, and I would worry, worry, worry.

Now with that being said, keep in mind what the others have said and I will reiterate again, it may be nothing. It may not even be there upon re-check, and if there is a slight murmur, it is not necessarily HCM. Not all HCM affected cats exhibit heart murmurs in the first place. Some murmurs can be just that and nothing more and the cats live to a ripe old age. Sometimes what a vet hears as a murmur proves to disappear or be inconclusive upon further exams.

Try to stay positive in the meantime and please let us know what happens on the 13th! Give that Skinderella a kiss for us!

tessblack

Banned
I sure hope everything turns out ok. It is very hard to deal with and just the waiting is horrible. Hope all goes well and keep us updated. Can you see the vet sooner or do they want you to wait.

JacksMom

Banned
Oh, honey, I am so sorry as I know that can be so scary with all the stuff we read on here, but from what I have read, a murmur can be simply a murmur and they can outgrow it. I know you just got her and it's almost impossible to not worry over your new little girl, but try to think positive because it very possibly could be something she'll outgrow, like many human babies do (my brother had one as an infant). For now, praying, thinking positive thoughts and sending prayers of peace your way. Hugs!! Smootches to that little Ella girl, too!

susi794

Staff member
I agree with what everyone else has already told you--it may be nothing at all....sometimes stress makes little hearts race and then also with not holding still, who knows what the vet did or didn't hear? But I will be praying for you...and waiting to hear good news on the 13th.
We love you,
Susi and the gang

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I sure hope everything turns out ok. It is very hard to deal with and just the waiting is horrible. Hope all goes well and keep us updated. Can you see the vet sooner or do they want you to wait.

Thanks Tess- they want her to wait a week or 2 and since she's due for her vaccine on the 13th they said that would be best (of course vaccine after they check her).

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I agree try to relax, a murmur in little ones if that is what it is is not uncommon and they do go away on there own while growing. Have the vet take another listen on the 13th and go from there but that is still to early to jump to conclusions.
Also being the parents and everyone else is HCM clear does not give the kitten a 100% chance of being HCM free not saying that this is what it is but I think there are a lot of breeders out there that lead buyers to believe this to make the sale. That makes me crazy.

Back