Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Possible IBD

Tausmom

Lairian
Abbi hasn't eaten in 2 full days - she's skipped both morning wet feeds for which she often yells at me for if I'm up late. Besides sleeping most of the time this past week, she's been vomiting several times daily for 2 days - pink and yellow foam, and diarrhea that has blood in it. I will be calling the vet tomorrow morning to get her seen but I sure am worried and anxious.

Tausmom

Lairian
I'll also add that she was healthy and full of personality until I took her for her 1st FVRCP vaccination. Since then she's been really off and now this. I feel like I should have done more research before that vacci ation and that I may have really hurt my naked.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I thought you were doing the best by calling your vet. I hate doing guess work but maybe a possible blockage. Do you have an appointment set up? @Tausmom. We all care very much about these babies, and often the best to diagnose with as much going on is truly the vet. Also how long ago was the vaccine administered?

Tausmom

Lairian
I took her in but they won't do anything for her until I get a substantial amount of money. They weighed her and said she's gone from 3.8kg down to 2.6kg since october 23rd. The vet felt her stomach and said she has no obstructions. She then stated abbi need blood work, an ultrasound, and a urinalysis whenever I could manage that financially. Then she said if abbi didn't start eating that she could develop fatty liver disease and die. Then I crated her and took her home. As soon as I got in the car I started ugly sobbing all the way home. I'm trying to find any research and I instruction on how to force feed her. I've tried chicken broth, boiled chicken, tuna juice, tuna flakes, royal canin wet gastro and she refuses all of it. She bit me when I tried to put some from my finger into her mouth. She's so shaky and weak and just stares at me with her big blue eyes and I'm really hating the world right now.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I am shocked they just discarded you like that. I would seek another vet ASAP. You can ask them about care credit...where you pay back in installments is what I understand. Not everyone has the funds so this can be very helpful. As far as force feeding I had to do it once and i just put the wet food on my finger and opened her mouth and slapped on her tongue. She needs to get hydrated by subcutaneous fluids is my first guess a vet would have done. As far as obstructions you cant tell just by feeling around so I found it odd they said that. I am so sorry you are going through this, but a second opinion and going paying through care credit is we hat I would do. I am tagging @Yoda mom as she has used care credit before and might add more info about it. @Tausmom

Lizanne

Lairian
I've got a ton of info on this.. going through it right now. Too much to write on here. Do you have an email address I could send you what I know and have done? Meanwhile I'd get another doctor. There is a blood test that is expensive about $300 that can at least verify if it is IBD or not. I'm not at home but I will email you what I have and specific info. Blood work to check out b12 is also important. Also, change to a novel protein or limited ingredient food with a protein your baby HAS NOT been eating or ate in the past...and NO dry food
@Tausmom

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Tausmom ((((hugs)))) and lair prayers for sweet Abbi. my heart goes out to you...

a few thoughts? when did she have the vaccine? did the vet mention if she could have been sensitive to it and return to normal in a couple of days?

any chance she ate something she should not have? plants, string?

what food is she eating? any new brand food added recently? call the company and ask if any recalls or other complaints reported?
I add this bcz years ago my kitty started vomiting etc.. I called Halo pet foods..they told me no complaints.. then chewy I buy from contacted me and said their was a recall of the sensitive halo.. I called Halo back and they fessed up more complaints from the same batch.. so they did a soft recall. just figured I share that ..worth a call to the food company to eliminate that possibility.

I do have an IBD kitty... switched her to Nutrisource cat and kitten food and she is fine now...
@Lizanne .. thank you for sharing and offering info to help further with an email

be sure to make sure she stays hydrated.... there is a turgor skin check I will find the video I previously posted.
there are supplements like "nutrical" too for kitties.

I definitely agree with checking with a different vet... My vet will work with me and not do every test under the sun to begin with...
one step at a time philosophy and I do use care credit..Not sure if its avail in your area.. if it is there are a lof of ins and outs I can share to not pay the nearly 30% compounding interest, ( I can email more about how to work with care credit)

I reqlly keep thinking about the vaccine and you mentioning her having symptoms after this... definitely would call a different vet and ask.. nd go from there for a second opinion vet check. believe my I have switched vets in the past...

a lair full of prayers.. I hope you keep us updated often... I always worry like one of my own...

here is the turgor test:

(((((hugs)))))

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Tausmom I wanted to add that my bengal cat years ago had a severe allergic reaction to a vaccine... lost weight, vomit , diarrhea , acted off. i was heartbroken
I took him to the vet and followed his advice .
they gave him a shot and subq fluids to keep him hydrated .

he recovered fully in a week. My vet and I had a long chat. for my boys case , my vet suggested no more vaccines since it appeared he had a bad reaction. My Bailey bengal lived indoors only with no other issues for 16 yrs and was never again revaccinated.

I would definitely ask the new vet if it is possible an allergic reaction to the vaccine.
I am not a vet and cant diagnosis ..can only share experiences to try to help

following closely for updates

hugs and healing vibe head smooches..

Sheldon13

Staff member
Your vet sounds mean. Definitely get a new one that will work out a payment plan with you or let you use CareCredit.

Most important now is hydration. She may need some fluids subcutaneously if you can’t get her hydrated orally.

When is the last time she pooped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Tausmom sorry to hear your girl is feeling do unwell. Sorry I didn't respond early, I have a very bad migraine yesterday and today.

How is your girl doing now? It's awful the vet just send you away with a cat being so sick. Hope you can get her to eat something. Sending lots of positive vibes

Tausmom

Lairian
Ok some updates for you.. firstly, thanks for the responses - I really needed help getting out if the negative mindset I was in yesterday and feeling such rage at the world.

I've made the decision to not step foot back in that vet clinic which leaves me very few options for the future of my nakeds. I'll have to drive at least 90 minutes now to the closest vet that will meet our needs. But between myself and my ex husband, we have/had been clients of theirs for years (before I moved out of the city) and they would rather take our sick animals and treat them and deal with cost later than let them suffer and possibly develop something fatal.

I ran to our local pet store yesterday afternoon and grabbed an employee that I'm familiar with, told her what was going in and what I wanted to try with Abbi. I left the store with a can of PetAg high calorie kitten milk replacer and a small container of Go! Solutions sensitive paté, grain-free duck. I blended it together and filled a syringe, wrapped abbi burrito-style and forced about 30ml into her without wasting more than about 3 drops from her chin. She didn't fight me like I expected but at this point she was also pretty weak. When i let her go she ran back into the safety of her bed nest. No vomit and no diarrhea last night!! She kept it down.

Fast forward to this morning.

I came downstairs and she was sitting up waiting! Eyes bright and big and she started a conversation with me. She followed me into the kitchen and took a few bites of the free range kibble I leave out (which I will be switching out on payday). I was shocked! I prepped some wet, royal canin gastro that I had left from the vet visit and she inhaled about 30grams before exhausting herself. Still no vomit and no diarrhea!! Shes been fast asleep ever since and even purred when I pet her.

I'm keeping a close eye on this and I'm hopeful this was a diet issue. If the new food solves her mysterious illness it's worth the extra expense for a brand new, healthier diet and healthier naked.

Tausmom

Lairian
Your vet sounds mean. Definitely get a new one that will work out a payment plan with you or let you use CareCredit.

Most important now is hydration. She may need some fluids subcutaneously if you can’t get her hydrated orally.

When is the last time she pooped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Abbi still drank lots of water and was peeing normally. Her urine was clear/yellowish. The vomiting, bloody diarrhea and not eating was the concern. Her last poo was yesterday morning diarrhea.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Very reliefed to read this update. So happy to hear Abbi did eat and she didn't vomit nor have diarrhea anymore. Keep sending positive vibes. Hope this was it and she's getting strong again.
Good you have another vet you can turn to!

Tausmom

Lairian
@Tausmom I wanted to add that my bengal cat years ago had a severe allergic reaction to a vaccine... lost weight, vomit , diarrhea , acted off. i was heartbroken
I took him to the vet and followed his advice .
they gave him a shot and subq fluids to keep him hydrated .

he recovered fully in a week. My vet and I had a long chat. for my boys case , my vet suggested no more vaccines since it appeared he had a bad reaction. My Bailey bengal lived indoors only with no other issues for 16 yrs and was never again revaccinated.

I would definitely ask the new vet if it is possible an allergic reaction to the vaccine.
I am not a vet and cant diagnosis ..can only share experiences to try to help

following closely for updates

hugs and healing vibe head smooches..
Everything I suggested to the vet and technician was met with an eye roll or sarcasm. Mostly from the tech - she was rude. She said it had nothing to do with the vaccine. My guess is the vaccine triggered an auto immune response. I will not be vaccinating abbi further but Tau does well with his and I will be keeping up with the basic vaccinations for him. They dont get rabies or leukemia.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Tausmom i am soo happy to read increasing positive updates! hugs n positive vibes continue!!!
will be checking for more improvement updates!

hugs n head smooches

Back