Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Postpartum Discharge--Need Your Help!

susi794

Staff member
I need some help with knowing whether I should be concerned about this. Lulu gave birth the evening of the 12th, so it's been almost 48 hours. I have been noticing she has a bloodyish vaginal discharge. None of my other queens have ever had this, so I looked it up online and it said it can continue up to I think it said--two weeks. But if it looks like pus or seems too bloody, you should seek vet care because it could mean a uterine infection requiring an immediate spay. It said it might be brown to slightly bloody and is mostly old blood.
If you are unfamiliar with any kind of discharge, how are you supposed to know if it's like pus or if it's too bloody? It is blood tinged and sort of watery light brownish but not really brown. She has stained her bedding with about 5 quarter sized watery bloody spots two times today, but she is eating well and not lethargic at all. Should I be scared?

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm not sure, as you say none of your other queens have had this so maybe get her checked out by the vet just in case? To catch any infection early if thats what it is. Hope she is ok though. How are the kittens? X

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Susi,
Yes its normal to have blood discharge for a few days after birth. It sounds about normal it would be bloody or clear fluid with blood in it. If it persists over a few days or becomes discolored, I would just give the vet a call.

Last edited:

Brooke

Banned
I'm certainly no expert here, have only had a mom and kittens one time...she was still having a little bit of discharge after a week. Like you described, they were about quarter sized brown spots/smudges on her bedding. I kept puppy pads in her bed for easy clean up that first week.

If it were pus, I imagine it would be yellow or greenish and thick, and if it were too bloody, I think it would be bright red in color. After 48 hours, I think what you're describing sounds normal, especially with such a small amount. I bet your other moms have probably had slight discharge, too, but kept themselves cleaned up better!

Please keep us posted!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have seen it with cats that have had kittens before.
If you see anything that is green call the vet fast.
My brothers cat had a dead kitten in her and she had a slight greed discharge.
Wht you discribe does sound normal but you can call the vet.
My Coco had a slight disharge for 2 days.

susi794

Staff member
Bless your hearts! After everything that has happened, I am paranoid about everything now! I'm just so afraid I am going to lose someone.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I've never had a mama Sphynx but I've had regular domestic mama's and they all had a discharge. Like M2M and Brooke said I'd just keep an eye on it and make sure they color doesn't turn green or really bright red. Sounds like she is doing well. Your doing a great job keeping an eye on her and I can't blame you at all for questioning anything. I hope it tapers off soon so your nerves can settle and you can enjoy your new lil babies!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Susi it sounds normal to me also, the only thing that bothers me is that the other day you had said that Lulu would not settled down with her babies for very long. Has she gotten better? If not I would have the vet take A quick look. Also this is nasty but if you can smell the discharge and it is :Badly: then there is A problem, if no yucky smell you should be just fine. :ThumbsUp:

susi794

Staff member
Lulu always smells kinda yucky. She has settled down with the kittens really well now---but the discharge is heavy enough to drip occasionally down on the floor or her legs. Should I take her to the vet?

susi794

Staff member
The discharge itself doesn't smell that I know of....will check it again, but it's just real thin, brownish bloody and not all the time, but when it does, it drips---sort of like I've seen some hairy cats drip blood when they are in heat.

Brooke

Banned
The discharge itself doesn't smell that I know of....will check it again, but it's just real thin, brownish bloody and not all the time, but when it does, it drips---sort of like I've seen some hairy cats drip blood when they are in heat.

I still think it sounds normal, but a quick call to the vet might put your mind at ease. Glad to hear she's doing well with the babies!!

susi794

Staff member
I called the vet--just to be on the safe side. He told me to stop in and get some azithromax to use since this is not like my other cats have done. He said at this point he is not too worried, but that it will be ok to use to make sure she has no infection brewing.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member

Sounds like you are fine! and thin is good it is when it gets thick and sticky you should worry.

Back