Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Potential gland issue?

Alouette

Lairian
Hi guys,
I just noticed while I was giving Elise a bath that her anal glands look odd... Not swollen, per se, but they are a weird colour and look like there is puss or like they are impacted, almost? I'm not sure how else to describe it. Is this something of concern? She has not had any changes in the consistency/frequency of her poops, and I haven't noticed any odd behaviors like scooting or excessive grooming to the area. Do her anal glands need to be expressed? Could this be an infection? Should I take her to the vet, or does this look like something that will resolve itself?
Sorry for the terrible photo, it's playtime and she is being a wriggly worm. I'll try to get a better one as soon as she settles down in a bit.
Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
It is really hard to tell with the pic. If it looks like pus, then yes I'd go to the vet and get them expressed. Pus means infection. We just went through this with our Bengal as it was badly impacted. our Bengal didn't scoot, but we saw he did start walking funny and cleaned a bit more in that area. These guys hide pain so well.

Patti

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I agree, I would take her to the Vet. As soon as possible. You don't
want infection to be anywhere any longer than you can help it.

Alouette

Lairian
Thanks! I've made an appt with our vet for this week. Hopefully it isn't too serious. @Catzzzmeow, is this a recurring problem with your Bengal? If so, is there anything that you do to minimize impaction/frequency of clogging of the glands (i.e. type of food, litter rec, supplement of some kind?)
Thanks again!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@Alouette Our Bengal is 18. He has never had any issues in the past. The vet said his body is starting to feel the effects of age. The vet has recommended we go once every 4-5 weeks to have them expressed. We have gone a total of 3 times now. When we first took him it was very bad and impacted. The stuff that came out was hard and the vet was shocked he had not shown early signs of issues like scooting etc. Then the after the hard piece was out it was still very thick and came out like worms. This last time we took him it was not as bad, but we are following suggestion to just take him and make it more comfy. Our vet only charges us $14 to do it...It is considered a follow up visit. @NinaGato had anal gland issues with one of her babies and I think had them removed. She might be able to share as well as I tagged her in this post.

Patti

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Good that you got that Vet appointment. Let us know how everything goes.

Alouette

Lairian
Well, everything is fine! The vet (not my usual, decided to try another one closer to my house) was actually a bit rude about it... She said it is just staining from her litter/a bit of dirt, and even though I explained that this was after GIVING HER A BATH and SCRUBBING HER BUTT and I was talking about something that didn't wash off, she kind of rolled her eyes a bit.
She said that it just looks like staining from the litter and that I should switch brands if it is concerning to me (which makes sense, as this problem coincided with me switching to a new litter recently!)
I feel a bit silly for being so paranoid now :sorry:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Alouette : you're just taking good care of Elise, so don't even feel a bit silly!
Do you trust the diagnosis of the vet? Maybey the vet is right and it is staining of the litter (I don't have much experience with sphynx yet so I don't know) but that's no reason to not take you seriously and for being rude.

Hope switching brands will help!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Aloutte, Glad Elsie is okay

Fwiw, Dr Elseys precious cat in the blue bag is great!
I buy at chewy.com of about &14-15 for 40 lbs and free shipping over $49
They ship me 3 bags 120 lbs free!

My mom is using it for her kitty now!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Don't feel silly. It's better to be safe. You'll not be left wondering.

Glad all is well!

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You shouldn't feel silly. You're being a good mom. That vet shouldn't have made you uncomfortable about your concern (tsk, tsk).

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Well, everything is fine! The vet (not my usual, decided to try another one closer to my house) was actually a bit rude about it... She said it is just staining from her litter/a bit of dirt, and even though I explained that this was after GIVING HER A BATH and SCRUBBING HER BUTT and I was talking about something that didn't wash off, she kind of rolled her eyes a bit.
She said that it just looks like staining from the litter and that I should switch brands if it is concerning to me (which makes sense, as this problem coincided with me switching to a new litter recently!)
I feel a bit silly for being so paranoid now :sorry:

I wouldn't feel silly. There is many sphynx cats has to have their Anual Glands expressed. Or sometimes surgery.
The Vet should not have acted that way. They are in the public profession and public patients pay their salary.
But, unfortunately, they act that way. If they lost all their customers, they would have a change of attitude.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
If you thought it was pus, then you did the responsible thing. Better safe than sorry! Glad all is well.

Patti