Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Potential scam!!!

FoxMars

Lairian
Or at least a bad person!
hello Sphynx loving family! I haven’t been on Sphynx lair really ever before except for when I first got my Archibald in 2012 and was very excited to get immersed in the community! Unfortunately we lost Archibald in February 2020 to HCM, it was the most tragic day of my life and I am still so broken, as we cannot have children, he was really my first born child! Now I got him in the bronx NY, and I am pretty sure he came from a not so great breeder, as they have since shut down, and when I reached out to them to notify them of Archie winding up with HCM, I received no response. Anyway, fast forward to April 2020, mine and Archie’s birth month, we get our stimulus checks and think, well we are very sad and lonely in quarantine so why not try and bring a naked cat into our lives?!? Back then one of the sites I found was offering to fly the kitten to us, everything included for $700. This of course, was a scam, and luckily I was smart enough not to pay them, and the site has recently been taken down.
Two weeks ago (End of June 2020) I was in touch with a local (2 Hour drive for me) breeder, to my knowledge the only one in the state of MA.

I am emailing with them about an available kitten for about 3 days, then we switch to text messaging. As someone who is a stickler for spelling, I tried really hard to overlook the misspellings and misspeakings and extra spaces and was down to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that maybe English isn’t their first language? Totally fine. About a week ago We agree solidly to do a meeting With the kitten TODAY Saturday July 4th at 3 pm, knowing that we have to drive two hours, she specifically promised me that if someone else was trying to adopt the kitten, she would notify me beforehand and I had first dibs. I tried to text and email yesterday confirming again and trying to get the address. No response. I text again this morning at 9am and the response is that someone else is interested in the cat and will be there at 11am with cash. Obviously this is shocking and sad and honestly SHADY. But when I responded that I was upset, I got a phone call, from a nice, definitely English is her first language, owner saying she was sorry for the misunderstanding and she would honour our agreement and that our meeting was still on, and she would send me the address right then! (This is at 10am) I wait until 10:30 and when she still hasn’t texted me the address I text again asking for it and mentioning we need it before 12:30 because we have to leave right before 1 to make the appointment time. I then called at 1 pm. I have received no response. So I just want anyone in the New England or Massachusetts area to know that a breeder out of Lynn/Revere/Boston and maybe even NH and RI? According to their website? Is maybe a scam, and definitely at the very least very rude and not as deeply loving of cats as they claim...I am so heartbroken. At least they didn’t get any money!

Attachments

• 42413D48-C0AB-4934-A778-10CE3D2A8E54.jpeg
    42413D48-C0AB-4934-A778-10CE3D2A8E54.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited by a moderator:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@FoxMars I am so sorry for your loss of your heart cat and now this shady breeder. I had to edit your post a bit as names of breeders/catteries are not allowed in public areas but your info is awesome about the area will alert members and they can PM you if they have questions. Glad you did not get scammed out of money and time and kudos to you for researching.

Lorrie2763

Lairian
Or at least a bad person!
hello Sphynx loving family! I haven’t been on Sphynx lair really ever before except for when I first got my Archibald in 2012 and was very excited to get immersed in the community! Unfortunately we lost Archibald in February 2020 to HCM, it was the most tragic day of my life and I am still so broken, as we cannot have children, he was really my first born child! Now I got him in the bronx NY, and I am pretty sure he came from a not so great breeder, as they have since shut down, and when I reached out to them to notify them of Archie winding up with HCM, I received no response. Anyway, fast forward to April 2020, mine and Archie’s birth month, we get our stimulus checks and think, well we are very sad and lonely in quarantine so why not try and bring a naked cat into our lives?!? Back then one of the sites I found was offering to fly the kitten to us, everything included for $700. This of course, was a scam, and luckily I was smart enough not to pay them, and the site has recently been taken down.
Two weeks ago (End of June 2020) I was in touch with a local (2 Hour drive for me) breeder, to my knowledge the only one in the state of MA.

I am emailing with them about an available kitten for about 3 days, then we switch to text messaging. As someone who is a stickler for spelling, I tried really hard to overlook the misspellings and misspeakings and extra spaces and was down to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that maybe English isn’t their first language? Totally fine. About a week ago We agree solidly to do a meeting With the kitten TODAY Saturday July 4th at 3 pm, knowing that we have to drive two hours, she specifically promised me that if someone else was trying to adopt the kitten, she would notify me beforehand and I had first dibs. I tried to text and email yesterday confirming again and trying to get the address. No response. I text again this morning at 9am and the response is that someone else is interested in the cat and will be there at 11am with cash. Obviously this is shocking and sad and honestly SHADY. But when I responded that I was upset, I got a phone call, from a nice, definitely English is her first language, owner saying she was sorry for the misunderstanding and she would honour our agreement and that our meeting was still on, and she would send me the address right then! (This is at 10am) I wait until 10:30 and when she still hasn’t texted me the address I text again asking for it and mentioning we need it before 12:30 because we have to leave right before 1 to make the appointment time. I then called at 1 pm. I have received no response. So I just want anyone in the New England or Massachusetts area to know that a breeder out of Lynn/Revere/Boston and maybe even NH and RI? According to their website? Is maybe a scam, and definitely at the very least very rude and not as deeply loving of cats as they claim...I am so heartbroken. At least they didn’t get any money!

Lorrie2763

Lairian
I think I have seen this ad on hoobly. We got ours from a pet breeder on cape cod. Thank god we did not get scammed. I had found it very hard to find a breeder in the north east.
40F7F26E-B7D4-4E87-85F8-4E2B585788B4.jpeg

LevkoiNate

Lairian
I actually had bought a kitten from that breeder his sister I don’t remember her original name she’s in the pics with the Sphinx you wanted her name is indigo now the grey Ukrainian levkoy and I’m so sorry that happened I’m just sharing my experience and not saying yours isn’t true cause trust me I was alittle concerned about that too there were times I was wary about it and so were my parents because I’m 18 so this is the first cat I have owned completely by myself so I had them help with the buying cause I didn’t wanna get scammed and I’ll attach images of her but I am very confused why she come through for me and not you we met once and she had one issue responding to me before we met I just messaged the next day again and she apologized but that was it for issues I picked her up fine but I think she met me the same day she didn’t meet you I met her around 10:30 I’m pretty sure I don’t have the text messages anymore I can check because I had signed the contract for indigo that day and put down a $500 deposit on her and so I took pictures of everything just in case and the only reason I was so quick for the deposit was cause I had been looking for the perfect kitten for months so when I saw her and met her she almost immediately seemed attached so I irresponsibly just threw my money down on her which now I’m seeing that could’ve gone terribly bad and I’m sorry if this is wrong I’m just like stunned that I just found this 73A5CBB5-74F5-445D-948C-7AB57245961C.jpegF0ADA465-7A5B-405B-BBAD-CBD8EC23ED49.jpeg937316F0-8BBF-4B1A-A74D-8ACCD614A15C.jpeg

Back