Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

potty training fiasco

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ok as most of you know I have taken on the task of potty training Meecho. A week ago we moved on to stage two and it didn't work so we had to go back to stage one. This Friday we went back to stage two and she not only used it but got all the pee in the hole. I had read in the instructions that they will have an easier time peeing then pooping and accidents may occur. No big deal although I really didn't want any accidents. Well yesterday I went out to the grocery store and I knew that given the time I was going was also around the time she usually goes number two. What I came home to I was completely unprepared for though :Dizzy:

She did have an accident but she was VERY clean about it. How clean can a cat be when pooping on the floor you ask? Well she was courtous enough to pee in the toliet, then pulled out a wad of toliet paper and put it on the floor and then pooped on the toliet paper! I didn't know wether to be disgusted, upset, or in awe of her genius. What kind of cat is this?!?!?!?! I have NEVER had a pet who was this smart to have the forsight to create her own litter box. :Hysterical:

Brooke

Banned
Kalliee, that is the cutest thing I have ever heard! You have the greatest Meecho stories - she really is something special!!

I think I mentioned I had a cat years ago that I started toilet training. Unfortunately, my place only has one bathroom, so I got tired of having to remove the contraption every time I went in there. He took to peeing in it right away, but I never did get him to poop in it. I eventually gave up after a couple weeks and went back to using a litter box. I know if you just stick with it, she'll get the hang of it!

As smart as Meecho is, she'll probably even figure out how to flush!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow, Kallie...that is so amazing that Meecho was smart enough to gather some toilet paper on the floor to do her business on....she is one smart cookie! :ThumbsUp: I agree with Brooke; she'll learn to toilet-train in no time!

Moonstone

Lairian
a friend of mine had a cat ( DSH) a few years ago. this female was doing her business on the rug bathroom ! but the same exact way ...she conscientiously wrapped the ... in the carpet !

:LOL:
When you talk about Meecho I immediately thougt to this story...but this cat did it when the family went out for the WE only. (she was left alone during the WE)

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm really starting to worry. Since Saturday I don't think she's gone poop. I mean I think she has been going, but I can't find it and I know it's not in the toilet. I've searched high and low and can't find anything. I'm not sure if I should give up or not. I don't want to give up, but I don't want her to get sick by constipation either. Oh well I'll give it the rest of the week and see where we are. :Woo:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well closets are always kept closed ( old childhood fear) behind the TV I think I'm safe as she's never been there, under beds and sofas.....oh dear lord :Dizzy:

I will just keep chanting "it's not her fault, don't get mad; it's not her fault, don't get mad" :Smile:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
OH MY DEAR LORD!!!! I found it and Brooke you were right, it was the motherload of all motherloads :Surprise:

She has been going in my formal dining room and there were SEVERAL piles there. Luckily she has those poopies that are like little nuggets so clean up was a breeze. I was so upset that I pulled out her litter box and filled it and was going to give up with the potty training. After an hour I was more upset with myself for giving up on her, so I took the litter box back before she even knew it was there. I've sent an email to the litter kwitter company for help and suggestions. So we are back to the first ring and she is still peeing right in the middle like there was still a hole there. She hasn't gone poopie yet, but she doesn't do that till around 10am so I won't know if she is doing it back on the toliet or if I have a real problem on my hands. I'm hoping she hasn't gotten in the habit of going in there. I don't think she likes it because the way I found it was she was crying at the top of her lungs because she didn't want to go there. It's almost funny because I think she is more upset with herself when she has an accident then anyone else is. When she has one she's so upset that I spend more them consoling her. Poor thing :Smile:

Moonstone

Lairian
I cross the finger...
Don't forget to really remove the poopies odor in your dining room with something like white vinegar or other tricks...but not bleach.

I hope she and you will success with potty training !

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yeah I sprayed the rooms that connect to it and all around the area with a pet carpet cleaner because it's all I had. Today I'm going to the store to buy the stuff they sell to really deter that and I really tall baby gate to block all the entrances to see if that works too. Well see because when I got home yesterday she had peed in the toilet and pooped in the room again. And this is even with going back to the first stage so I'm hoping this isn't a habit now. One thing is for sure...I will not give up on her. :ThumbsUp:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have offically quit. Today I tried changing back to the yellow ring, but as soon as she went on it her foot went in the water and she started to cry. I tried putting plastic wrap under the hole so she could get used to it, but the wrap would keep her from falling in. She still didn't want to do it, and since the potty training started she kept pooping in the other room no matter how much spray I used or gates and baricades. It got down to the final question. Was I doing this for her or for me. Was the cost in the long run really worth my cat's happiness. When I really sat down and thought about it I think I knew deep down Meecho was just not happy. She would cry everytime she had to go and would look for other means before breaking down and using the toilet. That just isn't fair to her so I gave in and pulled out her litter box and she has been extra loveable since then. Maybe in a few months when she has forgotten the problems with the toilet training I might try again with a new tatic, but for now I'm back to shoveling sand. :Sweat:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome back to the sand shoveling club:Wink: thats what I do. I keep tossing the idea of one of the auto matic boxes like some have here but worry I will pick the wrong one so I shovel on for now!

Brooke

Banned
Well, Kalliee, I think you gave it a pretty good effort. You lasted a lot longer with it than I did when I tried!

If you decide to try again later, I just saw something online that might be a little easier:
http://www.amazon.com/Feline-Evolut...aining/dp/B001KN3M1U/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It's expensive though. And it got mixed reviews...But it looks like you train kitty to use it on the floor over the litter box, and then once they get the hang of it, you move it to the toilet.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
WOW I like that one. I was using the "litter Quitter" and the big design flaw I felt was that when it first introduces the hole with water, which is called the amber ring, the hole was too big. I really felt like it needed to be just like a slight opening to let them know there was water there, then gradually make it bigger. I think when I have the money I will try out the feline evolution cat seat. It is a little expensive but the litter quitter cost me like $50. I really should check out it's return policy. The Evolution has a money back garuntee if your cat doesn't potty train. Boy dare I try this again?!?!:Dizzy:

If I do I really hope it's cleaner then then other one. It took me almost three hours to clean up all the wheat that was flung all over the toilet and the floor. When I first set up the litter box I was actually glad to see litter on the floor and not wheat in my toilet :Laugh:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Nevermind just read the reviews and ummm I think I'll stick to being a sand shoveler. Although after reading some other peoples reviews it kinda gave me an idea. Potty training her on her own toilet...like get a baby potty trainer and see if she will use that :)

Brooke

Banned
Nevermind just read the reviews and ummm I think I'll stick to being a sand shoveler. Although after reading some other peoples reviews it kinda gave me an idea. Potty training her on her own toilet...like get a baby potty trainer and see if she will use that :)

Yeah, the reviews were split right down the middle and you can't always trust the good reviews. I worked for a company that sold some stuff on Amazon and they "suggested" that we all go on and write some good reviews of the product...since then I'm always a skeptic!

But, it gives me an idea, too. You could maybe get a standard litter box, and buy a toilet seat for it, or even use the litter kwitter thing again, but start it on the floor next to the toilet and get her fully trained using it there before you move it up to the toilet over the water. I bet that would work!! Kinda makes me wanna go out and get one for Walter, but he doesn't seem as bright as Meecho :Wink:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
That's kinda where I was thinking about a baby toilet. It would be seperate from my toilet so I could rig it to do what I need it for. I mean she has getting up there and sitting on it down, it's the water that gets her. So I was thinking start it off with litter and then slowly decrease it and then slowly start adding water instead. Then I'll sell it and call it the Meecho Wetter Getter or something :Laugh:

Brooke

Banned
That's kinda where I was thinking about a baby toilet. It would be seperate from my toilet so I could rig it to do what I need it for. I mean she has getting up there and sitting on it down, it's the water that gets her. So I was thinking start it off with litter and then slowly decrease it and then slowly start adding water instead. Then I'll sell it and call it the Meecho Wetter Getter or something :Laugh:

:LOL: LOL That has a nice ring to it!

Back